Why become a member? ×

It's here!!! New amp day (Carvin BX1500)

Raslee

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383497013' post='2265046']

Astounding! Loved it, really cut through well. Also really like the 2x10's stacked sideways - great idea ;) . In comparison to my Orange Terror this amp is much more modern & hifi sounding so i may get a sansamp or similar to warm it up a bit but other than that, brilliant. I'll try it with my other cabs to see how it pans out with them too and see if that adds any more warmth.

The headroom is also amazing, I didn't go past 3 on the vol all night and that was competing with a 7 piece band with horn section....and i actually thought i was too loud. Anyhow i got some good compliments for a change and our drummer was annoyed that i can drown him out now :D . Would i swap it for an amp costing twice as much...er nope! She's a keeper (for now :rolleyes: ).
[/quote]

You can warm up a BX if you play with the basic onboard tone and then use the graphic for broader tone shaping.

We spent a while in the showroom with a BX500 sitting next to an Aguilar TH500 and we managed to get a pretty good warm Aggie sound from the Carvin with a bit of work :)

If you call the shop and have a chat with Vic I think he'll remember the rough settings he used on the BX.

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383497013' post='2265046']
Astounding! Loved it, really cut through well. Also really like the 2x10's stacked sideways - great idea ;) . In comparison to my Orange Terror this amp is much more modern & hifi sounding so i may get a sansamp or similar to warm it up a bit but other than that, brilliant. I'll try it with my other cabs to see how it pans out with them too and see if that adds any more warmth.

The headroom is also amazing, I didn't go past 3 on the vol all night and that was competing with a 7 piece band with horn section....and i actually thought i was too loud. Anyhow i got some good compliments for a change and our drummer was annoyed that i can drown him out now :D . Would i swap it for an amp costing twice as much...er nope! She's a keeper (for now :rolleyes: ).
[/quote]

Excellent! Your Carvin experience sounds similar to mine first time out. Mine's not going anywhere either.
[size=4]Looks like you made the right decision. :)[/size]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383520340' post='2265519']
Barrie - looking on TB there were a few reports of BX500s cutting out. Has this been sorted, do you know?

They look like nice heads for a back-up...
[/quote]

Ay, the Carvin amps do seem great and I like that it is all made in house (well, assembled).

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383408338' post='2264174']
Cool. Do you have a link to that thread for me to have a nose through?
[/quote]

Found it - it was on his FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barefaced-Bass-speaker-cabs/130257677703

[color=#333333]"We've heard that Genz Benz is probably being killed off my Fender (who've owned it for some time). This is a shame because many of our customers use their amps with Barefaced cabs with great success. However, I hope that they resurrect the [/color][color=#333333]line successfully under new brand - though history does not bode well... On the plus side, I recently discovered that you can get Carvin amps in the UK now - their B1500 and B2000 (great preamp!) are ideal for getting HUGE SPL out of our cabs:[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/carvin-amps/"]http://www.bassgear....bs/carvin-amps/[/url]"[/color]

Edited by molan

Barrie - looking on TB there were a few reports of BX500s cutting out. Has this been sorted, do you know?

[/quote]

I heard some stories about ribbon connectors that needed cleaning regularly but we haven't had any issues with any sold over here.

I'll ask the Carvin guys and see if they've done anything. They are super helpful and efficient. Proper 'family' company. Founded by Lowell Keisel in 1946. His eldest son Carson is president and runs electronic design and production and another son, Mark, is VP and manages guitar and bass design & production. Grandsons Jeff & Joel head up US sales and International sales respectively.

Joel is the guy we deal with and he really couldn't be more helpful - a real grade A supplier :)

And, as if by magic, we've heard from Carvin already :)

Apparently the BX500 has undergone a few power supply changes throughout the years to address issues of performance with the 90-240 volt switching power supply. The most recent models have had very few reported problems and there's not been a single issue with UK sold ones in 2013.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383573000' post='2265970']
Crazy low price. That is mental. 10lbs?!?!?

Now I want one.
[/quote]

The 2000w is only 14lbs & the little baby 500 is just 5lbs!

In fact the real 'baby' of the bunch, the 250w is only a shade over 3lbs :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1383570262' post='2265918']
What rack bag are you using in that pic - I like the fact that the amp is set back quite deep? Don't suppose you could tell me what it is could you?
[/quote]
If your talking about mine then the rack bag is an SKB 2U, great case...even has an internal pocket too :)

Also the BX1500 is 10lbs according to the manual.

Hey Molan, I like the family company ethos and I'd quite like an 18" cab if Carvin can get them over ;)

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383602904' post='2266574']

If your talking about mine then the rack bag is an SKB 2U, great case...even has an internal pocket too :)

Also the BX1500 is 10lbs according to the manual.

Hey Molan, I like the family company ethos and I'd quite like an 18" cab if Carvin can get them over ;)
[/quote]

Cabs are tricky because of the high shipping cost relative to the cab value :(

I hear some good things about the cabs but whenever we've looked at bringing them in it hasn't really been viable. I guess if we ordered a bulk number it might work but it's unlikely to be this year.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383571340' post='2265937']
And, as if by magic, we've heard from Carvin already :)

Apparently the BX500 has undergone a few power supply changes throughout the years to address issues of performance with the 90-240 volt switching power supply. The most recent models have had very few reported problems and there's not been a single issue with UK sold ones in 2013.
[/quote]

Cheers, Barrie! Worth a ponder...

[/quote]
Been using mine now for over a year and it has been absolutely fine all the way. Cracking amp - I'd almost have a wager that it wouldn't remain a back-up!!