Why become a member? ×

It's here!!! New amp day (Carvin BX1500)

Raslee

After doing my research this amp seemed a great buy for the money. Lots of tonal and configuration options which is what I could do with right now.
2u, 1500w (headroom galore...much needed for my dub band), tube, and best of all around 12lbs in weight.
Never tried Carvin before apart from my 2x10 cab, so bit of a gamble. Hope it sounds good, the guys at Bassgear seem to think so.

Will update upon arrival. ;)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383212919' post='2261513']
If it's anything like my B2000, you're in for a treat. :)
[/quote]
Cheers, Yeah i was tempted by the B2000, particualrly the sub bass control, but I needed the flexible wiring of the BX1500...on paper they look amazing loud

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1383214884' post='2261565']
I really do think if Carvin were more available in the UK they'd shift loads, I'm only ever hearing good things about them.
[/quote]
Agreed, Carvin need to up there public relations a bit me thinks. Incidentally i have a Carvin 2x10 and it is brilliant and light.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383217099' post='2261616']
Nice one. I'd been looking at these just a couple of days ago, seems a lot of amp for the money. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Cheers
Geoff
[/quote]
Will do matey...it should be here tomorrow so hopefully i'll gig it on Saturday with those 2x10's i got from you...they're not bad those cabs either...been cranking them in the living room yesterday and they're coping with the harsh heavy dub frequencies that i'm throwing at them ;)

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383231985' post='2261891']

Will do matey...it should be here tomorrow so hopefully i'll gig it on Saturday with those 2x10's i got from you...they're not bad those cabs either...been cranking them in the living room yesterday and they're coping with the harsh heavy dub frequencies that i'm throwing at them ;)
[/quote]

Nice one Lee. Look forward to hearing how it goes. Did you order your BX1500 from Bassgear? I noticed they are currently out of stock - you had the last one I take it?

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383232430' post='2261899']
Nice one Lee. Look forward to hearing how it goes. Did you order your BX1500 from Bassgear? I noticed they are currently out of stock - you had the last one I take it?

Geoff
[/quote]

Yes it was Bassgear, wasn't aware it was the last one...i'm sure Phil mentioned he had a few in stock over the phone. Will let you know how it pans out...soul & funk gig this Saturday...yay :D

...was tempted by the B2000, particularly the sub bass control...
[/quote][size=4][quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383217191' post='2261618'][/size]Looked at that one too. I take it you are pleased with it?
[/quote]

Yes, I'm using it with two 8ohm BFM cabs for 1300W. It has a lot of, er... headroom. ;)
It sounds fine as it is, but sounds even finer with a VT Bass on the front and a dbx comp in the FX loop. :)
The Sub Bass control is truly Earth-shaking, but in practice you don't actually need [i]that [/i]much bottom end on stage.
Nice to have it available, though. Just a touch is usually enough!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383233235' post='2261917']
[size=4]

Yes, I'm using it with two 8ohm BFM cabs for 1300W. It has a lot of, er... headroom. ;)
It sounds fine as it is, but sounds even finer with a VT Bass on the front and a dbx comp in the FX loop. :)
The Sub Bass control is truly Earth-shaking, but in practice you don't actually need [i]that [/i]much bottom end on stage.
Nice to have it available, though. Just a touch is usually enough!
[/quote]

Interesting. I'm kinda nosing about for something powerful to drive my newly acquired BF S12. It sounds fab with my existing amps mind you - just I'm greedy, I guess.

:)

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383212664' post='2261510']
After doing my research this amp seemed a great buy for the money. Lots of tonal and configuration options which is what I could do with right now.
2u, 1500w (headroom galore...much needed for my dub band), tube, and best of all around 12lbs in weight.
Never tried Carvin before apart from my 2x10 cab, so bit of a gamble. Hope it sounds good, the guys at Bassgear seem to think so.

Will update upon arrival. ;)
[/quote]

Rasta,

I have a Carvin 250, the lowest-wattage amp in this series, and I love it. Mine drives a Schroeder 2x10 and could easily drive another one. Love everything about this amp, and the price was great too. Great parametric feature; the face looks overloaded with dials but everything has a function that actually does what it says it will do. You've got a good one.

W.

Another very happy BX500 user (and responsible for Bensabre getting one) :)

Agreed, Carvin need to up there public relations a bit me thinks. Incidentally i have a Carvin 2x10 and it is brilliant and light.
[/quote]

Not sure it is the public relations so much as the availablility - no major distributor behind them flogging them at low margins to every job lot merchant in the country, leaving it down to Phil and the guys at BassGear to give us all great service and a really nicely priced piece of kit!

The BX1500's are out of stock now but more will be ordered soon.

None of the big heads are held at the Uk warehouse so they are all special order jobs from the US which can disproportionately push the price up.

However Phil ordered 14 different heads (including some big watt lightweight power amps as well) this time around and the bulk shipping really helped on keeping overall costs down.

My personal favourite is the B2000 because it has loads of low end 'muscular' power and I simply don't need all the onboard tone shaping of the BX1500.

I saw that Barefaced were recommending them as well because of the power efficiency :)

If there's enough demand for the two big heads I think the next order will be a lot larger. Carvin are super fast on delivery too, usually about a week from order placement direct from San Diego.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1383234942' post='2261954']
Rasta,

I have a Carvin 250, the lowest-wattage amp in this series, and I love it. Mine drives a Schroeder 2x10 and could easily drive another one. Love everything about this amp, and the price was great too. Great parametric feature; the face looks overloaded with dials but everything has a function that actually does what it says it will do. You've got a good one.

W.
[/quote]
Cheers man. I started off looking a the BX500 and was planning on getting just that...i'd never heard of the BX1500/2000....but when i saw the prices on Bass Gear and the fact they had a sale i was like phwoooarr....one amp to rule them all haha.
[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1383236671' post='2261977']
Another very happy BX500 user (and responsible for Bensabre getting one) :)

Not sure it is the public relations so much as the availability - no major distributor behind them flogging them at low margins to every job lot merchant in the country, leaving it down to Phil and the guys at BassGear to give us all great service and a really nicely priced piece of kit!
[/quote]
Yes agreed, shame there's not any Carvin bass cab distributors either ...i hear good things on TB about their 8x10 & also their 18" cabs.....as i say my 2x10 Carvin is brilliant and i bought it off here for very little too.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383237481' post='2261995']
The BX1500's are out of stock now but more will be ordered soon.

None of the big heads are held at the Uk warehouse so they are all special order jobs from the US which can disproportionately push the price up.

However Phil ordered 14 different heads (including some big watt lightweight power amps as well) this time around and the bulk shipping really helped on keeping overall costs down.

My personal favourite is the B2000 because it has loads of low end 'muscular' power and I simply don't need all the onboard tone shaping of the BX1500.

I saw that Barefaced were recommending them as well because of the power efficiency :)

If there's enough demand for the two big heads I think the next order will be a lot larger. Carvin are super fast on delivery too, usually about a week from order placement direct from San Diego.
[/quote]
Molan, it was your mention of the BX500 in some other thread that lead me on the holy grail...i thank you sir ;)

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383237997' post='2262002']
Cheers man. I started off looking a the BX500 and was planning on getting just that...i'd never heard of the BX1500/2000....but when i saw the prices on Bass Gear and the fact they had a sale i was like phwoooarr....one amp to rule them all haha.

Yes agreed, shame there's not any Carvin bass cab distributors either ...i hear good things on TB about their 8x10 & also their 18" cabs.....as i say my 2x10 Carvin is brilliant and i bought it off here for very little too.
[/quote]

Could create some truly monstrous rigs - perhaps they're saving us from ourselves :o

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383242726' post='2262093']
Molan, probably a stupid question but are you connected to Bassgear somehow?
[/quote]

I help out there approx one day a week and often cover a lot of the initial email questions that come in :)

I reference it in my signature so that people know there's an association but that anything I say here on BC is a personal view and not anything to do with the business.

I'm not sure if this shows up on mobile applications though :(

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383237997' post='2262002']

[/quote]

It would be possible to stock the cabs but, as with the amps, might require a fairly large order to make them a viable price in the UK.

I think he 8x10 is out of production now - they simply weren't selling enough to keep them going :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383268580' post='2262504']

I help out there approx one day a week and often cover a lot of the initial email questions that come in :)

I reference it in my signature so that people know there's an association but that anything I say here on BC is a personal view and not anything to do with the business.

I'm not sure if this shows up on mobile applications though :(
[/quote]
Thanks for that Molan. And no, signatures don't show on the mobile version - hence my question.

It's here :D
First impressions...it's light, 10lbs :blink:
It also reminds me a lot of an Ampeg Pro4 that i once owned with regards to the multitude of wiring configurations available...but a fifth of the weight. Bonus.

How does it sound? Well, I've only had about 10 mins on it so far. At flat EQ It seems very clean and not as warm as my Eden Nemesis or Orange terror...that is a good thing though as i wanted something different to these amps. From sound memory (if such things exist) It did remind me of Mark bass a bit, clean, hifi etc etc.

The great thing is when you use the EQ, wow!! lots of tonal flavours available here - the knobs do something unlike my Terror bass and the contour knob typically gives the slap scoop too. It didn't take long to find a good reggae sound either which is primarily what i bought this amp for, having both parametric and EQ sliders is great to quickly dial in your sound - i can also set two sounds between these EQ's and footswitch between the both i.e. phat dub and even phatter dub :lol: .

This amp is also very loud... 1500W apparently. I don''t know if goes that loud (yet) but at level 2 on the master i managed to move the mirror on the wall, hope wifey doesn't notice. Perhaps the best highlight so far has been the compressor though...it actually audibly does something for a change, seems great and will hopefully save me some speakers as i do drive them hard. I've also just found you can switch the one 12AX7 tube in and out...it was off. I'll try it again later with the tube to see if its any warmer...however i feel it'll probably be more gimmick than useful...we'll see.

So to conclude so far: very impressed for the money, very light, bags of power, build quality is OK....perhaps the EQ sliders look a bit flimsy and lots of vent holes which may allow a bit of contamination in dusty environments - although mines in a nice SKB 2u rack bag, lots of EQ and configurations options, compressor is great as mentioned. So all that, a 1500W amp with two amp channels and switchable crossover, accommodates 8ohm to 2ohm, fits in 2u case...all for £525 from Bassgear.

The man from Del Monte says yes!...although i'll probably be bored of it within 3 months :P

The acid test will be gigging it tomorrow; i'll try it out with my soul/funk band and see how i get on in that setting ;)

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383331394' post='2263325']
The acid test will be gigging it tomorrow; I'll try it out with my soul/funk band and see how I get on in that setting ;)
[/quote]

Glad you like the amp. :) I'm not sure how similar it is to the B2000, or even if it's similar in any way at all, but I found, as you have, that the EQ options are very wide and varied. And the B2000 is supposedly far less versatile than the BX1500 EQ-wise.

My point is that it may take a little while to find the sounds you want! Hope the gig goes well and that your new baby does the biz. :)

Edited by discreet

Great Amp you bought.

I had a Carvin BX1200 and i was fantastic, very clean and with a ton of qualizations and configurations possibles.
The difference in both, is the tube, the extra power and more important, the weight. mine was almost 24lb. Thats why i had to sell it :(
with it i never (almost, except large auditoriuns) use my sound throw PA, but some times i "aniquilate" it :P

HAve a great joy with it ;)
Regards

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383331394' post='2263325']
It's here :D
First impressions...it's light, 10lbs :blink:
It also reminds me a lot of an Ampeg Pro4 that i once owned with regards to the multitude of wiring configurations available...but a fifth of the weight. Bonus.

How does it sound? Well, I've only had about 10 mins on it so far. At flat EQ It seems very clean and not as warm as my Eden Nemesis or Orange terror...that is a good thing though as i wanted something different to these amps. From sound memory (if such things exist) It did remind me of Mark bass a bit, clean, hifi etc etc.

The great thing is when you use the EQ, wow!! lots of tonal flavours available here - the knobs do something unlike my Terror bass and the contour knob typically gives the slap scoop too. It didn't take long to find a good reggae sound either which is primarily what i bought this amp for, having both parametric and EQ sliders is great to quickly dial in your sound - i can also set two sounds between these EQ's and footswitch between the both i.e. phat dub and even phatter dub :lol: .

This amp is also very loud... 1500W apparently. I don''t know if goes that loud (yet) but at level 2 on the master i managed to move the mirror on the wall, hope wifey doesn't notice. Perhaps the best highlight so far has been the compressor though...it actually audibly does something for a change, seems great and will hopefully save me some speakers as i do drive them hard. I've also just found you can switch the one 12AX7 tube in and out...it was off. I'll try it again later with the tube to see if its any warmer...however i feel it'll probably be more gimmick than useful...we'll see.

So to conclude so far: very impressed for the money, very light, bags of power, build quality is OK....perhaps the EQ sliders look a bit flimsy and lots of vent holes which may allow a bit of contamination in dusty environments - although mines in a nice SKB 2u rack bag, lots of EQ and configurations options, compressor is great as mentioned. So all that, a 1500W amp with two amp channels and switchable crossover, accommodates 8ohm to 2ohm, fits in 2u case...all for £525 from Bassgear.

The man from Del Monte says yes!...although i'll probably be bored of it within 3 months :P

The acid test will be gigging it tomorrow; i'll try it out with my soul/funk band and see how i get on in that setting ;)
[/quote]
Nice description Lee.

I'm envious :-)

Let me know how the gig goes tomorrow.
Geoff