Why become a member? ×

It's here!!! New amp day (Carvin BX1500)

Raslee

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383390945' post='2263916']
Lee

Odd question for ya - what is the back to front depth of the BX1500? I mean from the rack mounting plate to the rear edge of the amp. I have one of those SKB shallow depth 2U rack case, and would be interested to know if it would fit.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

10.5" Deep
3.5" High

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383395489' post='2263999']

Cheers Molan. Looks like it will just fit then :) Or the B2000 if its the same depth :)
[/quote]

B2000 is exactly the same size :)

It's a bit heavier but still only 13lbs!

I used one yesterday into one of the new Bergantino N115's. These cabs seem to like a big chunky head to make them work best and the B2000 sounded really good through it. :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383396263' post='2264010']
I was thinking the B2000's simplicity might suit me better. Would probably work well with my Super 12, and I could use the Compact with it too - 2.7 Ohm combined load :)
[/quote]

The B2000 would be cracking with a S12. And though the B2000's EQ is simpler than the BX you can still dial in a vast range of tones. You need to remember that the EQ controls are marked 0 through 10 - but in fact they would have been better marked '0' where 5 is - if that makes sense - as 5 is flat, 0-4 is cut and 6-10 is boost.

Edit: This is not the case for the Drive and Volume (Master) controls, though - 1-10 is as you would expect.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383397382' post='2264022']
The B2000 would be cracking with a S12. And though the B2000's EQ is simpler than the BX you can still dial in a vast range of tones. You need to remember that the EQ controls are marked 0 through 10 - but in fact they would have been better marked '0' where 5 is - if that makes sense - as 5 is flat, 0-4 is cut and 6-10 is boost.

Edit: This is not the case for the Drive and Volume (Master) controls, though - 1-10 is as you would expect.
[/quote]

Yes makes total sense to me, thanks. I take it its been fine reliability wise? Anything to look out for from your experience with it? Also, do you have it rack mounted in anything?

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383399047' post='2264052']
I take it its been fine reliability wise? Anything to look out for from your experience with it? Also, do you have it rack mounted in anything?
[/quote]

It hasn't missed a beat in the seven or eight months I've owned it. No unusual requirements as far as I know - just get your cables in the right holes! ;) [size=4]I've got it in a 4U rack along with a DTR-2 and a dbx 166A (in FX loop). I'm currently using it with a VT Bass on the front, but that's just my taste. The 12AX7 in the B2000 pre is more of a 'warmth' thing than a 'balls-out grind' thing, though. And it does the warmth well enough, albeit subtly. [/size][size=4]There is a switch on the back which gives you the option of taking the valve out of the circuit entirely should you want to.[/size]

What I like most is the amount of heft on tap. This is a powerful amp and I've never had the master at more than 4. I'm using two 8 ohm cabs (800W) which in theory allows 1300W from the amp. But of course in practice you never use all that power. It's nice to have endless swathes of headroom, though. It reminds me a lot of an SVT-CL that I gigged with back in the day. Not the sound - but the sheer authority and attitude, if you get my drift. If you play rock bass or any genre requiring a certain, er... 'presence', then the B2000 is your man. :) It's a keeper, afaic.

[size=4]Edit for back panel pic.[/size]

Edited by discreet

The B2000 looks a superb amp too, lots of good praise on TB and 2050W at 2ohms - i'd have both if i could afford two :gas: .
It's probably the better amp if you do not need the versatility that you get with the BX1500 but for me the BX1500 was a winner with the fact you can bi-amp, mix cabs, surprisingly good compressor etc...it basically has two amp channels that can be either bridged or used via a crossover or even used separately with any ohm cab (2-8 ohm). This is useful for me as i have different cabs, plus each channel has its own independent volume so i can balance accordingly...but there is also a master vol too....i'm still yet to get this past 2 in the living room...and my amp channels are only on half too :blink:

Having spent about an hour with it this morning i have definitely become more attached, although i was beginning to think I would struggle to get a warm sound. However I have managed a great Motown sound for tonight's soul band gig, I found cutting frequencies on the parametric really did the trick and i've got a lovely thick but defined warm sound, really loving it. (This is with your two old cabs Geoff...I've tried the vertical stacking too - i like it :) )

It's been described before like a Swiss army knife equivalent, capable of just about everything...i think it is so far....easy to use too. :D

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383403561' post='2264116']
The B2000 looks a superb amp too, lots of good praise on TB and 2050W at 2ohms - I'd have both if i could afford two :gas: .
It's probably the better amp if you do not need the versatility that you get with the BX1500 [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]but for me the BX1500 was a winner with the fact you can bi-amp, mix cabs, surprisingly good compressor etc...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I'd say that's spot on. The BX if you need to cover a lot of ground stylistically, and the B2000 if you want to keep things simple! I like to plug and play. Same reason I've got a P Bass - fewer options mean fewer mistakes, imho! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383404266' post='2264126']
I'd say that's spot on. The BX if you need to cover a lot of ground stylistically, and the B2000 if you want to keep things simple! I like to plug and play. Same reason I've got a P Bass - fewer options mean fewer mistakes, imho! :D
[/quote]

Any idea what the EQ centre frequencies are on the B2000? I couldn't find the info on the Carvin site.

EDIT: Just found them on the bassgear site lol. Doh!

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1383404540' post='2264133']
Wifey says it going out of the lounge tonight and staying out....ahem!
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Boo! [/size] :D

[size=4]PDF manuals:[/size]
[url="http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/BX1500.pdf"]http://www.carvingui...uals/BX1500.pdf[/url]
[url="http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/b2000.pdf"]http://www.carvingui...nuals/b2000.pdf[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383396263' post='2264010']
I was thinking the B2000's simplicity might suit me better. Would probably work well with my Super 12, and I could use the COmpact with it too - 2.7 Ohm combined load :)
[/quote]

Alex likes these heads. He posted a recommendation for them a few weeks ago and said they'd work well with his cabs :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383408338' post='2264174']

Cool. Do you have a link to that thread for me to have a nose through?
[/quote]

I think it may have been FaceBook rather than BC.

I hear Alex discussing them in person at the SE Bash and he was saying that his cabs work really well with high power heads that can deliver clean, clear, sound and the Carvins really fit the bill for this :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383417380' post='2264318']
Lol. Im expecting a full gig report later, you know... ;)
[/quote]
Astounding! Loved it, really cut through well. Also really like the 2x10's stacked sideways - great idea ;) . In comparison to my Orange Terror this amp is much more modern & hifi sounding so i may get a sansamp or similar to warm it up a bit but other than that, brilliant. I'll try it with my other cabs to see how it pans out with them too and see if that adds any more warmth.

The headroom is also amazing, I didn't go past 3 on the vol all night and that was competing with a 7 piece band with horn section....and i actually thought i was too loud. Anyhow i got some good compliments for a change and our drummer was annoyed that i can drown him out now :D . Would i swap it for an amp costing twice as much...er nope! She's a keeper (for now :rolleyes: ).