Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just Ordered Some Flats.....

spongebob

After much reading, and a general dissatisfaction with the zingy nature of my tone, I've taken the plunge and ordered some GHS Precision Flats.

They're going on my US Standard P.

I did try some D'addario Chromes some years back, but I can't really remember how they felt....or why I stopped using them!

Currently using D'addario Nickels, 45-105 (same gauge as the ordered flats). Any ideas if there's a big difference in tension between them and the GHS's?

Reports on these seem to be good - and Youtube gives some good vids of them being played. I just want a nice old-skool thump! :)

I'm using Lakland Joe Osborn Sig Flats, which by all accounts are very similar (if not identical) to GHS Precision Flats, so if you're looking for 'the thump' then I don't think you'll be disappointed. You might find they are [i]very [/i]slightly 'sticky' when new, but after just a day or two's use you'll be thumping away with the best of 'em. :)

GHS Precision Flats are my favourite on a P-bass - wise choice - hope you enjoy them. As Discreet says, give them a few days to get rid of that newness, then they just get better & better, for a long time B)

Just a thought - I give all my new strings a good clean - straight out of the packet - with Surgical Spirits (Meths will do) on a cotton rag, gets rid of any factory oils used during the process & helps them bed in quicker IMO.

Edited by KiOgon

Just wanted to add - they sounded awesome!

Playing old-skool R'n'B in a trio, it really gives us a bite I think we lacked before. Lots of depth and thump.....exactly how I hoped.

So a big thanks to all those who helped - advice taken, purchase made, a P bass happy!!

I know people say that flats are really good for blues, jazz and all that jazz.. But are they good for other types of music like indie / rock type music? I know Steve Harris uses them and he don't play no jazz! Also if you let roundwounds go dead aren't you basically using poor man's flats anyway? I've recorded plenty of songs with dead rounds and they sounded quite good so thinking I may be a fan of the flats..

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1383476632' post='2264751']
I know people say that flats are really good for blues, jazz and all that jazz.. But are they good for other types of music like indie / rock type music? I know Steve Harris uses them and he don't play no jazz! Also if you let roundwounds go dead aren't you basically using poor man's flats anyway? I've recorded plenty of songs with dead rounds and they sounded quite good so thinking I may be a fan of the flats..
[/quote]
Well, you will have to try some because there is no substitute for doing that.

There is great variation in flatwound strings - just as there is with rounds - so it can be an expensive business but I recommend starting with either some La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats 760FL (available many places on-line) or some Lakland Joe Osborn Flats (made by GHS but available from the Lakland website shop).

I recently ordered some status hotwire as a present for my partners step dad and he seems to like them. They seem inexpensive so wondering whether to stick a set on my 5ee which is currently feeling sorry for itself since I acquired a 4 string (which I now prefer playing)