Why become a member? ×

Fender - I love your basses, but why so sloppy?

Clarky72

You make amazing instruments, but why can't you finish a top end instrument off properly? This is a 60th Anniversary Jazz, no cheapy, and look at the state of it under the plate. No sexy plate-free Jaco action will be happening here. They couldn't have routed both pickup slots tight and drilled through to the cavity instead? I won't even start about the locating hole for the router! Meh....

Still it sounds great, has a lovely tone, and plays like silk, but just looks pants without it's cover... shame on you Fender!!

Edited by Clarky72

Sometimes they use one routing pattern for multiple options (why the excess was covered with a scratch plate in some cases) and as in the 60s they probably did exactly that, the re-issue has to repeat all the bad bits as well as the good bits!

I know what you mean about the non-scratchplate look though, it's pretty cool.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382603980' post='2254123']
But "Leo got it right", he doesn't want you to take the scratch plate off. (Or the bridge and pickup covers, and he wants you to play with your thumb using the tug bar.)
[/quote]

He also wants you to use those enormous chrome covers that make playing the instrument utterly impossible...

[quote name='Karnage' timestamp='1382602612' post='2254095']
Sometimes they use one routing pattern for multiple options (why the excess was covered with a scratch plate in some cases)Also as in the 60s they probably did exactly that, the re-issue has to repeat all the bad bits as well as the good bits!

I know what you mean about the non-scratchplate look though, it's pretty cool.
[/quote]

An example of why it's worth more to get an imported CIJ jazz. My 62RI has the 'clean' route, and I haven't seen one that hasn't.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1382602987' post='2254104']
No, my mate's US Deluxe is the same under the cover too.... :/
[/quote]

It's just a cheap cost cutting measure, I make a point of asking to to see underneath the P/G to see the routing when buying.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1382604328' post='2254128']

He also wants you to use those enormous chrome covers that make playing the instrument utterly impossible...
[/quote]

Also impossible to restring in a sensible amount of time.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1382610911' post='2254276']
This is why I bought a VM Squier because it doesn't have the ugly hogged out body.
[/quote]

Exactly. The VM Squire is designed without a scratch plate.

Ever taken the scratch plate off a "traditional" Fender Stratocaster? Even the ones that don't have the "swimming pool" route are far worse than what's shown in the OP.