Why become a member? ×

Why does JAZZ seem to be so widely disliked?

xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1382294700' post='2250297']
Mention 'jazz' to people and, aside from a few who like it, the reactions seem to be very negative, some even hostile. People don't react like this to 'classical' music do they?
[/quote]
Many years ago where i worked i often stayed late on Fridays on my own to catch up on work and often listen to some jazz. If anyone popped in their usual comment was 'why are you listening to that?' and 'I couldn't listen to that'. I usually replied that no one was asking them to and to close the door when they went so never got into any conversation of why they didn't like it.
The strangest reaction i ever got was when i played anything like Varese, Messiaen or Stockhausen. Usually calm people used to get really upset and even nasty about it for reasons that they couldn't actually explain. It seemed to bring out the worst in even the mildest mannered person.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1382301166' post='2250459']
The strangest reaction i ever got was when i played anything like Varese, Messiaen or Stockhausen. Usually calm people used to get really upset and even nasty about it for reasons that they couldn't actually explain. It seemed to bring out the worst in even the mildest mannered person.
[/quote]

I get the same sort of reaction when I play CAN, Tangerine Dream, ENO, NEU or Cluster...
...I suppose a lot of it depends on what kind of drugs you're into. ;)

Edited by discreet

It also depends on what sort of jazz you're talking about. If there's a clarinet or a banjo involved, count me out.
But 'An Evening With Ornette Coleman' completely blew my mind when I first heard it.
I've got a lot of time for Coltrane, too.

Edit: Yer average punter doesn't like to be challenged by anything, let alone jazz. They are not open-minded enough to spend time properly listening to it. And that's probably alienated at least 80% of the forum, so I'll say good night! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382301616' post='2250480']
It also depends on what sort of jazz you're talking about. If there's a clarinet or a banjo involved, count me out.
But 'An Evening With Ornette Coleman' completely blew my mind when I first heard it.
I've got a lot of time for Coltrane, too.
[/quote]

:D

[color=#676767][font=Georgia,]I got no kick against modern jazz[/font][/color]
[color=#676767][font=Georgia,]Unless they try to play it too darn fast[/font][/color]
[color=#676767][font=Georgia,]And lose the beauty of the melody[/font][/color]
[color=#676767][font=Georgia,]Until it sounds just like a symphony[/font][/color]

[color=#676767][font=Georgia,] [/font][/color][color=#676767][font=Georgia,] :sun_bespectacled:[/font][/color]
[color=#676767][font=Georgia,]Chuck Berry 1957 [/font][/color]

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382298611' post='2250409']
Jazz was once upon a time, folk music...
Now, in the hands of many people that call themselves jazz musicians it is music played by musicians that have got their chops together and have a major desire to show other musicians the [i]e[/i][i]xtent[/i] to which they've got those chops together.
That type of jazz doesn't sound like music to me.
And this is coming from someone who has played a ton of jazz through my working life.
There is plenty of really good jazz being played by some awesome musicians in this country and elsewhere eg Mike Walker and Gwilym Simcock playing in the 'Impossible gentlemen' a band with Adam Nussbaum and Steve Swallow. Mike is an old mate of mine and one of the finest jazz musicians I've played with, so there is great stuff out there, you just need to be judicious and learn to realise when you've just got a noodler/showboater in front of you.
It is of course all subjective!

I did a jazz gig in Reading this lunchtime, was a blast!
[/quote]Tony trumpet, from Birkenhead, says hi, Jake. :)

Edited by steve-soar

In general I find jazz just leaves me cold :(

Especially the kind where there's solo, after solo, after solo, after solo, after solo. . .

We went to see Gregory Porter at a jazz festival earlier this year and the support groups were full of great technical musicians that just bored me rigid. Completely lacking in any sort of soul or charisma.

For me, that was the big downer. It just felt like they were playing for themselves and had zero interest in the audience.

Gregory Porter came on and the whole place came to life :)

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1382309764' post='2250577']
How can people holding you by the hand, and guiding you into your soul, to find truth and honesty, leave you cold?
[/quote]
simply beause most people can't see where you guide them to and they are afraid of the unknown...

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1382309587' post='2250575']
HAHAHA. Love this. I love having my mind nourished and this guy does it for me. xxx
[/quote]
As well as having every LP he's made i've managed to see Ornette live in every decade since the 70s and he never ceases to amaze me.

Fabulous music whatever anyone wants to calls it. :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382301616' post='2250480']
Edit: Yer average punter doesn't like to be challenged by anything, let alone jazz. They are not open-minded enough to spend time properly listening to it. And that's probably alienated at least 80% of the forum, so I'll say good night! :lol:
[/quote]

I don't hate jazz, but I do hate these kind of elitist statements about it. Jazz is not, despite what some of its proponents may think, some "higher form" of music, its just a-n-other genre and people are quite entitled to not want to listen to it. All forms of music should be respected equally (yes even country).