Why become a member? ×

Does the "other half" really stop you!

rodacademy

Most of my musical purchases come from gig money or selling off redundant kit, but even so Mrs Axe was horrified and spent several days in shock when I dropped £2.5k on a relic Strat.

EDIT: But no she didn't stop me.

Edited by JapanAxe

My gear has to work.

The gig money got us through when the mortgage rates went stratospheric in the early 80's and then again in the early 90's.

I sold a bass which paid for most of the patio.

It's swings and roundabouts. I can buy what I want, but if I bothered to tot it up I think we'd find that she spends more than I do.

I am still wearing clothes that I bought four or five years ago, don't get me wrong, they are all well looked after, washed and ironed etc regularly, and they look fine.

Whereas, Mrs Brig will buy something new at least once a month costing on average £70/80 and think nothing of it, so a years worth of clothes for her, is the equivilent of me spending £900/1000 on a new bass every year. :)

Hmm - My wife never actually stops me, I just know there will be hell to pay if she finds out...even though I am the primary earner in the house and have been for some years (kids eh!)....

Same as going out with mates. She is happy for me to go out when I want until the small hours.....It is the atmosphere the next day that makes me stop and think and even though I have a stinking hangover, she will land me with the kids and a load of tasks.....Hangover and small kids is just the worst.

E.g - My leaving do from a job I had been in for 8 years; I organised a few beers with mates, got home at midnight in a bit of a state; Hangover the next day; My wife spends £750 on shoes on my credit card.....my daughter was only a year old at the time and I apparently woke her up in the night. Turned out to be a tough day....

So, no, I don't f*ck with the status quo.

Not worth the hassle.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. I generally save up for stuff I want out of the funds we have for, for want of a better word, pocket-money. When there's been something I really want/need/bother her about for long enough, then I can dip into the savings.

Mind you, she knows of my OCD-type repayment plans that I have in my head in order to repay those savings...

In all honesty though, most of my new stuff is paid through the sale of my old stuff!

My wife comes to quite a few of my gigs, so she will easily spot a new bass that she hasn't seen before. I'm very lucky because she doesn't mind my little vice as long as it doesn't get silly. My most expensive bass is my BB1024, which I got for a great price at GAK. I also have some other less expensive ones which are also on display at home.

I think she is more upset if she is the last to know about a new purchase - after the band have found out etc. So I don't have to go sneaking around behind her back, which makes home life very nice. I'm lucky really.

Cheers

Geoff

It would seem that most of us work on shift one out, bring one in basis, but in all honesty, I bet most of us usually ship out a bass that's only worth a fraction of the new one, but as far as the boss is concerned, she wouldn't know their true values, so we normally get away with it. ;)

Most of my recent basses have been birthday presents so cant complain.
My wife will by things throughout the year for herself or we pay for expensive items for the house throughout the year. I very rarely spend money on myself (which has only just this minute been brought to my attention) but fact is she doesn't mind when i do buy a bass or an amp.
Where she does draw the line is when i asked for a Ducati 999 to match my other bike and she said NO !!! too dangerous was the reply.
Ah well you win some you lose some i guess.
More persuasion is required - gold bracelet, necklace, ear-rings will sway her a little. :rolleyes: :lol:

Dave

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1382372395' post='2251380']
So you can get a 2024 in the same colour and she'll never know.
[/quote]

This has indeed crossed my mind on a couple of occasions ;) However, I think she would notice the hole in our bank account. Although, isn't that what Credit Cards were invented for?

I think it depends on the situation.

Sometimes my other half is really my conscience keeping me in check so I don't spend money that I can't afford to spend. It's an early warning system of what her reaction will be when she sees another bass or cab arrive. It's a deterrent.

Other times it really is her saying no.

In the past I have been under pressure to sell a bass or 2 to free up funds for other non-bass things. If I see that coming I speak very highly of the instrument and its value and when I finally agree to put it up for sale I will put it up high.

Then when I get entirely reasonable offers in, she doesn't allow me to accept the offer because in her mind the bass is worth much more, it's just that no-one has any money at the moment.

It appears to work nicely!