Why become a member? ×

Couriers

Graham

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1385239086' post='2286066']
Anyone tried DPD? Their website even has instrument packing guidelines, so a good start?
[/quote]
Yesterday (Saturday) i had a text from DPD letting me know that a parcel was being delivered in the morning. They even gave me a one hour slot and the drivers name. That's nice i can hear you say. Well it would be but they had already sent me a text the day before telling me that it would be delivered on Monday but if it was going to be delivered two days earlier that can only be a good thing. Well yes, but of course the parcel didn''t arrive yesterday. I then had to go on the DPD website because i now have to rearrange delivery of a parcel that has never been delivered in the first place. Still with me? Good. So onto the website i go and the tracking says 'Your Parcel Was Refused'. This is the same parcel that no attempt has ever been made to deliver as no one rang my door bell (i was in at the stated time) and no card was left by the courier. Hardly fills me with confidence in using them but on saying that i've had trouble with most of the courier companies it's just down luck whether your goods arrive in my experience.

I've shipped two basses very recently using Interparcel Premium which is delivered by UPS. No complaints whatsoever - great service in my experience.

I've had nightmares in the past with City Link and City Sprint (swap the word 'city' for something that rhymes with it and you're bang on the money).

DPD are great. [i]Really[/i] good service and their tracking is first class.

Again, all based on my own experience. I'm sure there are good and bad stories to be had with all couriers ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1387069196' post='2308007']
DPD are great. [i]Really[/i] good service and their tracking is first class.
[/quote]
Not in my experience. See post #51 in this thread.

Their tracking on their website told me that 'Your Parcel Was Refused' when it clearly wasn't and no attempt was ever made to deliver it. I was in all day and they did not attempt to deliver anything. So no their tracking isn't first class.

P.S. See post #36 for the fun and games i had with Interparcel. Never again with that shower.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1387072332' post='2308034']
Not in my experience. See post #51 in this thread.

Their tracking on their website told me that 'Your Parcel Was Refused' when it clearly wasn't and no attempt was ever made to deliver it. I was in all day and they did not attempt to deliver anything. So no their tracking isn't first class.

P.S. See post #36 for the fun and games i had with Interparcel. Never again with that shower.
[/quote]

Goes to show there's [i]a lot[/i] of variation in the standards/reliability of most courier services.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1387072691' post='2308036']
Goes to show there's [i]a lot[/i] of variation in the standards/reliability of most courier services.
[/quote]
Absolutely. I've had fantastic service and also really pathetic service from the same courier company more than once. I've used all of the major ones and they all are much the same. i.e. one day brilliant, another day hopeless. I put it down to luck rather than the skill and organisation of the carrier as to whether something arrives, arrives damaged or they lose it completely. Pure luck.

One of the most annoying stunts that some couriers pull is the text or email with 'you were not in so we could not deliver. Please visit our website or reply to arrange a re-delivery' one when they haven't been anywhere near your address all day. The contempt that some of them have for customers is mind boggling.

[url="http://paisleyfreight.com"]http://paisleyfreight.com[/url]

You can either use the booking calculator based off weight and dimensions, or they do a flat rate for guitars:

Overnight delivery (1 working day), door to door, for £13.50.

I've sent drum kits, bass guitars, bass amps, and many other things through them without trouble. They do not insure for damage though, only for loss in transit. If you book a UK->UK delivery with them, it'll be done by TNT.

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1387252255' post='2309903']
They do not insure for damage though, only for loss in transit. If you book a UK->UK delivery with them, it'll be done by TNT.
[/quote]
I rather like the sound of that. I've never had a problem with anything i've ever sent being damaged but i'm much more concerned that it may be lost.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick courier rant on the nearest relevant thread I could find:

BCer pays me money for an amp on the Tuesday. I pack it up that day and get on the Interparcel website. Book City Link to pick it up on the Wednesday, guaranteed next day delivery. ONE WEEK LATER, after many frustrating phone calls to Interparcel and several more rebookings and failed pickups, they change the service to UPS. Booked in the morning, picked up in the afternoon.

Terrible service from City Link, and frustratingly ineffective call centre staff at Interparcel.
Well done UPS!

I've had good service in the past from Parcelforce but in the last two deliveries they managed to snap the side of a 2 x 12 marshall combo in two, and put a hole in an abs bass case (and refused compensation). There was a report that Deutsche Post is thought to be likely to buy parcelforce - I hope not - they managed to lose a 1100cc large touring motorcycle of mine for about six months years ago and delivered it quite badly damaged (at a time when I was unable to inspect it).
UPS - everything I've ever ordered with them has arrived damaged and they seem to be masters at evading any liability - I've never managed to get a penny of compensstion out of them - even if I desperately want something and the only delivery option is UPS - I'd rather not buy it than use UPS.

Another downer for Citylink.
I usually book through Parcel Monkey (surprise), and on this occasion waited all day for a pick up of an amp,with no info on the website other than "a pickup has been scheduled".
5.45 in the evening they turned up.
Although, it did turn up on time and wasn't damaged so....
Is there any clear winner that we would all trust?

In my experience City Link are bloody awful. But so are quite a few other courier companies. Problem is one of employing people on minimum wage then putting them under extreme pressure. You can't expect a decent service under those conditions. Driving jobs are [i]extremely [/i]stressful.

It's pot luck all round, really. Any delivery firm will have a certain percentage of damaged or undelivered parcels - usually in the minority, so you just have to hope to hell that yours isn't one of them.

Edited by discreet

Well so far this week I`ve sent a bass by UPS, via Interparcel, was collected in the time-window stated, and delivered on the day expected. Was also the cheapest option available (£31ish for sending a bass insured up to £750 within UK).

Do DHL operate in the UK? I can't remember having seen a mention.
Here in Norway they are the ones that have given me the best experiences by far, as in delivering to my home on time and proactively asking me to check the package before signing. Class!

UPS however consistently make false claims about delivery attempts, either locally or centrally in Oslo, and those delivery attempts are always at the same time as they hand the package over to the postal system, meaning that the package will be delayed AND I'll have to fetch it even though I've paid for door-to-door.
I try to avoid them, but most of the time it's up to the sender.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1389870693' post='2338821']
Do DHL operate in the UK?
[/quote]

Yes indeed, and there was even a Top Tip in Viz magazine which suggested that if you wanted to commit the perfect murder, you should send the body to yourself via DHL Couriers - it will never be seen again.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1389808296' post='2338146']
Just a quick courier rant on the nearest relevant thread I could find:

BCer pays me money for an amp on the Tuesday. I pack it up that day and get on the Interparcel website. Book City Link to pick it up on the Wednesday, guaranteed next day delivery. ONE WEEK LATER, after many frustrating phone calls to Interparcel and several more rebookings and failed pickups, they change the service to UPS. Booked in the morning, picked up in the afternoon.

Terrible service from City Link, and frustratingly ineffective call centre staff at Interparcel.
Well done UPS!
[/quote]

There are ongoing residual issues! What I omitted from the original story was that City Link, whilst spending a week NOT picking up the amp from me, actually attempted to deliver a 50kg pallet of shelving components to my amp buyer, apparently from me. Not surprisingly, he refused to accept it.

What did I get "returned" to me yesterday (while I was out)? A 50kg pallet of shelving components! No invoices or anything.
Oh, and it was so badly packed by the mystery sender that it's damaged.

I phoned City Link to ask what's going on and they haven't a clue. Somewhere out there, someone is out of pocket, and someone is missing their shelving.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390305242' post='2343721']
There are ongoing residual issues! What I omitted from the original story was that City Link, whilst spending a week NOT picking up the amp from me, actually attempted to deliver a 50kg pallet of shelving components to my amp buyer, apparently from me. Not surprisingly, he refused to accept it.

What did I get "returned" to me yesterday (while I was out)? A 50kg pallet of shelving components! No invoices or anything.
Oh, and it was so badly packed by the mystery sender that it's damaged.

I phoned City Link to ask what's going on and they haven't a clue. Somewhere out there, someone is out of pocket, and someone is missing their shelving.
[/quote]
I sent a bass with City Link via Interparcel recently. I took NINE days to deliver it from London to Somerset. During that time it was 'lost' for most of that time until amazingly it was delivered.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390307333' post='2343755']
I sent a bass with City Link via Interparcel recently. I took NINE days to deliver it from London to Somerset. During that time it was 'lost' for most of that time until amazingly it was delivered.
[/quote]
I'll bet that was a nervous time!! Glad it came through eventually

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390307489' post='2343758']
I'll bet that was a nervous time!! Glad it came through eventually
[/quote]
Fortunately it was less than £200 but it wasn't a good feeling. Also rather alarmingly the tracking changed during those days from where it said ithe address had been carded because no one was in (i was assured by the buyer that someone was in all day) to saying that the bass was waiting to be picked up from me when it had actually been picked up a few days before. Then out of the blue it was delivered nine days after it was originally picked up!

Got to say though that all the other times i've sent things by City Link via Interparcel everything has arrived on time.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1389870040' post='2338806']
Problem is one of employing people on minimum wage then putting them under extreme pressure. You can't expect a decent service under those conditions. Driving jobs are [i]extremely [/i]stressful.

It's pot luck all round, really. Any delivery firm will have a certain percentage of damaged or undelivered parcels - usually in the minority, so you just have to hope to hell that yours isn't one of them.
[/quote]

This pretty much sums it up, IMO.

I think I've had OK service from all of those mentioned above as being troublesome.

The only problem I've had was with Yodel. Waited in for a delivery, checked online tracking at lunchtime which said the delivery had been attempted...card left. I was home all day, and no card was left.

To cut a long story short, I ended up making a 40 mile drive to the 'local' depot to collect it myself a week later, where I was told that they'd had lots of problems with that particular driver, and he'd been sacked.

• 4 weeks later...