Why become a member? ×

"Spotify is last desperate fart of a dying corpse." Discuss.

EliasMooseblaster

Just as a side remark, as I don't have an opinion: before "In Rainbows" was released on CD, Thom Yorke mentioned in an interview that the revenue of the downloads and the pre-ordered box set together were such that the band had made considerably more money on this direct sale than they'd made totally with any previous album distributed the regular way.
I know what he said, but don't know whether he spaketh truthe.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1381754123' post='2243134']
And of course, the beer should be free too, because those thieving breweries are just ripping us off for having a good time, aren't they?
[/quote]

I wasn't entirely with you until you got to this point. And now you have my vote sir.
;) :yarr:

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1381760535' post='2243242'] And another depressing BC thread! If musicians won't stick up for musicians, then there is no hope. :( ... Or, have those advocating free access to music come to the realisation that they don't stand a hope in hell anyway, so couldn't give a toss? [/quote]
Don't know about not giving a toss, just the realisation that people won't pay for something they can get for free.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1381760535' post='2243242']
And another depressing BC thread!

If musicians won't stick up for musicians, then there is no hope. :( ...

Or, have those advocating free access to music come to the realisation that they don't stand a hope in hell anyway, so couldn't give a toss?
[/quote]

It's not a case of musicians supporting musicians, it's a case of understanding why the world is the way it is. If you don't understand then it's hard to have influence.

Besides, I'm not sure anyone was advocating free access to music, just acknowledging the reality . . . a reality that is seemingly encouraged by the music industry itself.

We have to deal with the way the world is, not how we'd wish it to be.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1381320379' post='2237470']
[list]
[*][i]Rhapsody royalty rate = .0091 cents per play[/i]
[*][i]Rdio royalty rate = .0045 cents per play[/i]
[*][i]Spotify royalty rate = .0009 to ZERO ( YES ZERO!!! ) cents per play![/i]
[/list]
[indent=1][i]I rest my case folks. The regular airwave radio stations pay roughly 10 cents a play... these internet radio stations need to pay Artists an actual royalty rate that reflects RESPECT for the music, Artists and Musicians who make the music in the first place.[/i][/indent]
[/quote]

A regular airwave station plays that 1 play to , what, lets say up to a million people . (1,000,000) on some of the bigger stations easily.
If you have 1,000,000 plays on rdio - that is 0.0045 c * 1000000 = 45000 c or 450 dollar
even spotify at 0.0009c per play works out at 900c or 9 dollars ....

So essentially, you need about 10,000 spotify plays to match one million people listening to a radio station

Also, if i'm paying £10/month, I have my phone playing music on spotify almost continuously whilst I am at work , and at home. So I probably listen to about 80+ hours on spotify a week. Lets say I listen to a track every 4 minutes, that is 15 tracks an hour, 1200 a week, or 4800 a month. That works out at each track play being worth 0.0021p/play .... you can see why they do not pay much per play!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1381760535' post='2243242']
And another depressing BC thread!

If musicians won't stick up for musicians, then there is no hope. :( ...

Or, have those advocating free access to music come to the realisation that they don't stand a hope in hell anyway, so couldn't give a toss?
[/quote]

Just in case I've been misunderstood, I'm not advocating free access to music by supporting Spotify. There ISN'T a play for free option. You have an ad-supported version with no monthly fee (money changes hands for the ads) and you have the subscriptions models. Like I said before, the labels negotiated the .0009 cents per day rate. So, as always, it's the record labels who are screwing over the musicians, not Spotify. Listening to music on Spotify is not listening for free in my opinion.

However, I head what Flyfisher's saying about changing habits in music listening. I found my old vinyl collection a few months ago. Sadly, it's less than a foot deep despite being quite an age. Back then I'd have to listen to the same album dozens and dozens of times over because I simply had no choice. Maybe I appreciated every nuance of the song more back then as a result. Now, I tend to create a radio station based on a band or song and hear a whole load of new music. I star the songs I like and create playlists for an artist that I've not discovered and will then listen to their songs over and over again. So I tend to swap between the fleeting listens of songs and deep immersion in a band. But I'm listening to a whole load more music now. And as Spotify now tells me when one of the bands I listen to are playing nearby I'm lining up more and more gigs to go to.