Why become a member? ×

mxr m-80 di+

ahpook

used this for the first time as a di box last night.

the soundguy seemed very impressed...i just used the 'colour' switch and cut the treble slightly.

lovely sound...shook the stage until my bandmates demanded it was turned down a bit - spoilsports

Sorry if this is re-hashing old ground but what does this do that a Sansamp doesn't?

I ask because I am thinking of getting an OD/DI pedal and considering a Sansamp VT bass (when they arrive; July I think), an MXR like yours or an EBS Microbass (I used to have a Sansamp Bass Driver but couldn't get the tone I was after)

Ta, Clarky

Edited by Clarky

You guys may find this helpful. *Apparently* these are the frequency centres for the M80 EQ and colour sections.

Bass +/- 18db 60 hz shelving
Mid +/- 10db 850hz
Treble +/- 12db 4Khz shelving

Colour +6db @ 80hz
-6db @ 650hz

[quote name='Clarky' post='222456' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:17 PM']Sorry if this is re-hashing old ground but what does this do that a Sansamp doesn't?[/quote]

a lot of it depends if you like the sound of a sansamp really. i didn't like that it did to my sound, and thought the overdrive was weak. ymmv

also the mxr has a noise gate on the distortion channel, and you can switch the distortion on and off and still keep the clean channel activated.

[quote name='Clarky' post='222456' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:17 PM']Sorry if this is re-hashing old ground but what does this do that a Sansamp doesn't?

I ask because I am thinking of getting an OD/DI pedal and considering a Sansamp VT bass (when they arrive; July I think), an MXR like yours or an EBS Multidrive (I used to have a Sansamp Bass Driver but couldn't get the tone I was after)

Ta, Clarky[/quote]

The two are very different in sound. The MXR kinda has two channels, where you can add the distortion (or a little bit of dirt if you wish) to the clean channel sound. So you have three settings. OFF, Clean on (with or without the colour preset and active EQ ON) , Clean + Drive (with active EQ ON)

I wont describe the Sansamp as you have had one already. The distortion and drive has a very different character. I would think of the MXR as a multi channel pedal, where the Sansamp to be is more of an amp / cab sim. FWIW, I don't like the drive sounds as much on the Sansamp either.. I run it on the edge of dirt with lots of direct signal mixed in. My MXR is run in parallel to it, not series and is adding lots of filth to my tone.

Hmm.. interesting.. I am parallel mixing my clean bass, with an amp sim sound and a filthy drive.. 3-in-1!!!!

[quote name='dood' post='222461' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:25 PM']So you have three settings. OFF, Clean on (with or without the colour preset and active EQ ON) , Clean + Drive (with active EQ ON)[/quote]

when you engage the drive channel, the colour circuit is automatically included in the signal path

[quote name='Clarky' post='222456' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:17 PM']Sorry if this is re-hashing old ground but what does this do that a Sansamp doesn't?

I ask because I am thinking of getting an OD/DI pedal and considering a Sansamp VT bass (when they arrive; July I think), an MXR like yours or an EBS Microbass (I used to have a Sansamp Bass Driver but couldn't get the tone I was after)

Ta, Clarky[/quote]

As said, the MXR has 2 channels, clean and distorted, this means that you can use it as a clean boost or 'permanent' EQ and still toggle distortion on and off. It also has a 3 band EQ rather than a 2 band and an excellent noise gate. Plus any preference between the distortion sounds of the 2 pedals.

[quote name='dood' post='222461' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:25 PM']I would think of the MXR as a multi channel pedal, where the Sansamp to be is more of an amp / cab sim. FWIW, I don't like the drive sounds as much on the Sansamp either.. I run it on the edge of dirt with lots of direct signal mixed in.[/quote]

I'd definitely agree the Sansamp BDDI is more of an amp sim kinda thing - I don't think it does a convincing 'distortion' with drive up high.
I tend to run it with mild drive - just hear a lively edge to the tone - presence between 9 and 3 o'clock depending on the context and strings. Lots of presence tends to bring up the noise level and I don't like that but the attack is good. I tend to have only a little direct in the blend if any.
I find that even though it might sound a little too effected on its own it sits well in a mix with rock / indie bass and drums.

Will be interesting how the new Sansamp Bass VT stuff sounds ?

Try [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20920&hl=microbass"]here[/url], [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12800&hl=microbass"]here[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19420&hl=microbass"]here[/url].

IMO EBS MicroBass II is best, SansAmp ParaDriver 2nd best, but I've not played with the MXR. Good luck!

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='222636' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:14 AM']Try [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20920&hl=microbass"]here[/url], [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12800&hl=microbass"]here[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19420&hl=microbass"]here[/url].

IMO EBS MicroBass II is best, SansAmp ParaDriver 2nd best, but I've not played with the MXR. Good luck![/quote]

I think with the EBS, the BDDI and the M80 you really are comparing apples bananas and oranges! They are all designed to do different tasks. As I have mentioned before on a couple of threads I own both the M80 and sansamp because one simply cant do all the things the other can. If I didn't have an EQ preamp section on my amp, I suspect I would need the EBS too.

just to add i've just come back from practise where i was using a peavey solid state bass head and an ampeg 8x10, with the eq on the head set flat...just relying on the mxr for eq.

sounded fabby...both with and without the distortion channel.

Just bought an MXR M-80 today.
Well built. I'll give it that.
Otherwise, a bit disappointed that the EQ and Drive aren't independently switchable.
Well, you can have the EQ without the Drive, but not the Drive without the EQ.

I quite like a bit of mild Overdrive or soft-ish distortion, but I can't find anything that'll deliver the goods. This included.

The list so far;

USSR Big Muff. Too OTT. Not controllable enough and no wet/dry balance.

Boss ODB-3 (in a Boss ME-8b). Wasp in a jar...

FX Grunge Pedal. Like opening a shaken can of fizzy drink. Not enough tonal options either.

Hartke VXL. Not bad. Controllable, and the DI's excellent. Runs on phantom power. But no facility to run Eq without the Drive involved. "Shape" facility is evil.

Peavey Max Bass (Pre-Amp) 2 channel. Footswitchable between Valve and Solid state stages (or combine them) Good on paper, but the Valve stage is limited to 2 AX7s and has passive tone controls which lack clout when compared to the solid state stage EQ. Can't OD the Valve stage enough to get much OD.Clicks when switched between SS and Tube.

Ampeg SVP-Pro. Perfect. Well, nearly. A whole extra AU7 valve just for OD, and it works, too. Can be wound right up and never loses control (See Big Muff!)
Can even get a different OD/ Distortion from Pushing the AX7 in the gain stage too hard. Or combine them in varying amounts.
BUT... You can't switch the OD on or off. Just set it and forget it. Grrr!

I'm going to try sticking the M-80 in front of the Ampeg to see if the two together can do something worthwhile. I find the M-80's drive too artificial and hard edged. Basic tone's good enough, though. Haven't tried the DI yet, but you guys seem to like it.

Next victim?

Got to be the EBS, really. I've tried the Sans Amp BDDI and didn't get on with it very well. Not enough mid control. Therefore avoided the programmable one. Wouldn't mind a bash at the ParaDriver, though.

I think you should try an EQ pedal at the same time as a dirt pedal, like the boss, or you seem to like tube stuff - DHA like Kev said.

If you can't get a decent sound out of the ODB-3 (wasp in a jar?!?!?) then I reckon you'll find it difficult with most pedals that have that many controls.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='225293' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:36 PM']I'm going to try sticking the M-80 in front of the Ampeg to see if the two together can do something worthwhile. I find the M-80's drive too artificial and hard edged. Basic tone's good enough, though. Haven't tried the DI yet, but you guys seem to like it.[/quote]

I agree on that somewhat, I find the distortion is an 'all or nothing' job, if you try to keep the gain down and blend it you just get cleanish low notes and trebly higher ones, and the 'blend divide' is obvious too when you turn it up, it sounds like 2 different signals with the distorted one faded down (which it is, I guess). On the other hand if you've got the gain high, some nice strings on your bass, a decent EQ/signal chain, precise technique, a good drummer (optional), a f*cking loud amp (optional, I guess) and some good riffs (not optional) it sounds amazing. It'd be useless without the switchable/balancable distortion as its hopeless as a 'primary' tone, but for when you just want distortion, its brilliant. The gate is excellent too. All thats almost an extra though, it does a fine job as just a DI/EQ/Preamp.

I really want to try the para driver though before I settle on the M80 for good, if anyone has a para driver and wants to try out the M80 do you want to do a MXR+£20 for Para Driver temporary (unless it turns out we like the different pedals) swap?

Today I had the chance to try the M80 and I must say it is quite different from the ParaDriver I have.

Not unexpectedly the m80 is a little bit more tuned for bass then the ParaDrive. The "color" button works work very nicely creating a very warm and deep sound.

With the controls set to flat the pedal is quite linear - which is a good thing.

I didn't like the distortion at all. It is the typical "MXR Distortion+" clipping that some people like but that I find very sterile. The distortion doesn't kick in smoothly with a progressive increase of the grrrrr. It is a sort of on/off that may be exactly what some bassists look for but to me it was like a bee getting closer as I turned up the gain control. I would love to modify the clipping sections using mosfets and asymmetrical clipping - I am pretty sure it would sound much warmer. On the other side, I am not ready to buy the unit for the sake of exploring a possible modification.

Overall, apart from the distortion (that is a very personal thing) the M80 is a very nice pedal. I didn’t use it as a DI but I am sure that connected to a mixing desk it would sound great.

If I had a M80 but not my ParaDriver I would probably miss the semi-parametric mid control of the ParaDriver and the natural light compression of the ParaDriver.

Would I sell my ParaDriver to buy a M80? No, the ParaDriver is a keeper.
Would I buy a M80? Yes, but only if I can keep my ParaDriver.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='225293' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:36 PM']Ampeg SVP-Pro. Perfect. Well, nearly. A whole extra AU7 valve just for OD, and it works, too. Can be wound right up and never loses control (See Big Muff!)
Can even get a different OD/ Distortion from Pushing the AX7 in the gain stage too hard. Or combine them in varying amounts.
BUT... You can't switch the OD on or off. Just set it and forget it. Grrr![/quote]

try putting a signal booster in from of the svp...i use either a cae line booster or my m-80...a touch of extra gain can add a bit more grind to the sound...and have you tried playing with the footswitchable eq ?

tbh the svp isn't meant to be a 2-channel preamp, but playing with the signal you're hitting it with can yield different sounds.

each to their own obviously, but i love my svp to bits...