Why become a member? ×

Internet feedback, is there any point? Rant...

stingrayPete1977

I think Basschat needs to be a bit careful, ultimately if a luthier or guitar company gets a bad reputation through us it can result in loss of income or maybe even jobs, plus all the stress of watching it happen in what feels like slow motion and a feeling that there's nothing you can do to stop the momentum of The Internet.

One bad thread could ultimately result in someone not being able to pay their rent or feed their family, maybe that's part of the reason so many of these guys get so defensive and sometimes abusive.

Having said that, there comes a point when the disappointed buyer has no choice and has to go public and name and shame, Shockwave seems to have given these custom builders plenty of time and plenty of warning before going public.

But I think naming and shaming has to be a last resort, and be aware that posting these things on the internet can have serious consequences.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1380706659' post='2229147']
Within recent memory, you all may recall a member posting about a couple of brands with which they had had an issue - [b]and which did generate a threat of legal action against the individual[/b]. Thus, I think it's only fair to urge caution - both for the individual member posting, and for the administrator considering the issue.
[/quote]

I'd say that individuals are responsible for their own actions and if they get sued for something they've posted then that's a matter for them to deal with.

The wider issue, I think, is whether BC can also be drawn into any such actions because they hosted the post in the first place. I don't know what the legal position really is, but I'd think it is practically impossible for BC (or any website) to verify the accuracy of what people post.

Having said that, I can imagine it's not much fun for the proprietors to receive legal notices so I'm cool with whatever they decide to do (well, within reason!) - it's their website after all.

Having read through the topic in question, some of the comments are a bit close to the edge.
However, like Charic, I can see no reason for closure either.

A boring procedural bit here, if we 'remove' a thread then the reasons are reported amongst the Mod team.

No report has been received and, asking around the Mod team, none of us can shed any light on why the thread was 'removed'.

I can also see that nothing has been deleted or edited (with the exception of posters editing their own posts) from the thread.

Taking all this into account, I can only assume that someone had an inadvertent 'finger failure'.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1380724864' post='2229587']
Taking all this into account, I can only assume that someone had an inadvertent 'finger failure'.
[/quote]

Man, there is something wrong with this software if one finger failure causes a thread removal. I figure given that most software gives you the fail safe, "are you sure?" prompt, I can only assume whoever had their 'finger failure' was having a fit at the time. Either that, or one of the mod team has amnesia.

I remember a guy who worked at my dad's office - nice chap, had Parkinson's. Police and ambulance came round to the office and burst in. Turns out the poor fella was only trying to get an outside line.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380728535' post='2229675']
Man, there is something wrong with this software if one finger failure causes a thread removal. I figure given that most software gives you the fail safe, "are you sure?" prompt, I can only assume whoever had their 'finger failure' was having a fit at the time. Either that, or one of the mod team has amnesia.
[/quote]

I've documented all of the available facts in an open and honest manner.

If you want to make assumptions based on your extensive knowledge of the Basschat admin systems then that's really your lookout.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380728535' post='2229675']

I remember a guy who worked at my dad's office - nice chap, had Parkinson's. Police and ambulance came round to the office and burst in. Turns out the poor fella was only trying to get an outside line.
[/quote]

Quite.

Damn this free forum, staffed by fallible human volunteers!

:rolleyes:

OT... I think the thing I found odd about the thread we're talking about wasn't "this has just happened with X, Y and Z" but more general leading to everyone to go on a massive guessing game.
Like you could be the best builder in the world, and you have a bad day, or something breaks, or your mum goes into hospital, or you slip with a chisel or anything... or, and more likely - some of us are utter ******s when it comes to being a customer that a relationship sours or something - and that get's bandied about the internet - but nobody hears about the 1000 happy customers - and when those customers do try and defend the builder it all becomes a bit odd.

Leaving threads about bad workmanship, pathetic time delays ( read TB's SGD threads - they're mind boggling ) and other shenanningans is only right. This is meant to be a community, and communities generally like to look after each other.

By all means remove trolling posts and openly slanderous ( or is it libel - i get the 2 mixed up ) but in the main, genuine grievances should stay as a warning to the community. As per mr Wave's thread. So i guess internet feedback specifically posted on close communities is a good thing, and long may it continue.

As long as what anybody posts is true, and can be proved if being legally questioned, then there is no issue, legally or morally

Bad workmanship or business practices should be highlighted in every walk of life, whether it be basses, carpenters, builders, plumbers et al

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1380733178' post='2229735']
I've documented all of the available facts in an open and honest manner.

If you want to make assumptions based on your extensive knowledge of the Basschat admin systems then that's really your lookout.
[/quote]

:P

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1380733868' post='2229750']
Quite.

Damn this free forum, staffed by fallible human volunteers!

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

:P

A guy got upset because I deleted him from my business page for crying about prices, and decided to invent some rumours about my work not being very good. He got slapped down pretty quickly where he posted it, because lots of people there are familiar with my work via the blog I keep of it with big giant photos, but have to bear stuff like that in mind with internet feedback.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380712281' post='2229262']
The wider issue, I think, is whether BC can also be drawn into any such actions because they hosted the post in the first place. I don't know what the legal position really is, but I'd think it is practically impossible for BC (or any website) to verify the accuracy of what people post. Having said that, I can imagine it's not much fun for the proprietors to receive legal notices so I'm cool with whatever they decide to do (well, within reason!) - it's their website after all.
[/quote]

AIUI, as BC is moderated, it is in the same position as a newspaper or similar publication. Also see Godfrey v Demon.