Why become a member? ×

An open letter to Custom builders. (Update on Page 11)

Shockwave

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380620974' post='2227853']
Tone is all in the fingers as long as those fingers are stroking some bookmatched diseased wood in the shape of a sperm whale with elephantitis.
[/quote]

Dont forget that it has to be a non standard scale too.

Oh. And don't forget the ramp.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1380616852' post='2227772']
I think it's a useful thread. If I'd have read this before ordering my custom build five months ago I would have thought twice about ordering it... ... then probably ordered it anyway thinking it wouldn't happen to me :blink:

When I ordered the bass the plan was, if it turned out as I wanted, I'd order a similar fretless version on the back of it.

I can say now that I definitely will not be ordering another custom build.

Rob
[/quote]

I don't think the thread should put anybody off from buying a custom bass - far from it. Custom basses done right are beautiful things. I currently have 3 in my crop of basses and they are exactly what I wanted. I couldn't go into a shop and get anything remotely like the ones that I have right through to sound, finishes and electronics. But what I will say, is that I set it clear in my mind that these basses may or may not arrive quickly... and I talked with the luthier in great detail about what I did and didn't want. I played a lot of his basses and said what I liked and disliked about all of his basses. I even went as far as saying don't lacquer the necks until I had played them unlacquered because if the neck profiles weren't comfortable, I would hate the basses. I listened to his views of what and wouldn't work... and you know what, all three basses are amongst the best things I've ever bought. Everything is absolutely spot on.

I think I echo some of the thoughts shared here about people not knowing what they want... or falling in love with the notion of buying a bass that will fix all their problems. More often than not, the problem is not the bass - but the player.

And yeah, a J bass is a wonderful thing Nige! Although I'm not sure that I agree with the buying of a new neck ;) ha ha ha ha....

Tone is all in the fingers as long as those fingers are stroking some bookmatched diseased wood in the shape of a sperm whale with elephantitis.
[/quote]

Meet you half way Mr xilddx?

Been trying to put myself off this one for months now...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380621947' post='2227864']
Meet you half way Mr xilddx?

Been trying to put myself off this one for months now...
[/quote]

It's nice! Quite a pleasing design, but surely neck binding is not too much to ask? I was after a Mayonnaise Jabbahut that looked a bit like that, but in shell pink. Got that chrome Warwick instead.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380622731' post='2227880']
It's nice! Quite a pleasing design, but surely neck binding is not too much to ask? I was after a Mayonnaise Jabbahut that looked a bit like that, but in shell pink. Got that chrome Warwick instead.
[/quote]

I think it's a stunning take on classic meets elephant - and I'm not usually a SC fan.

Customer pays for what the customer says... guessing this customer didn't want binding on his bass - these are all built to customer spec... and I love (most) of the ones that have come out of this luthiers stable.

[/quote]

[url="http://www.nado-guitars.com/nado-bass_en.php"]http://www.nado-guitars.com/nado-bass_en.php[/url]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380622731' post='2227880']
I was after a Mayonnaise Jabbahut that looked a bit like that, but in shell pink.
[/quote]

Teh internetz is rubbish, Nige. Despite my best efforts I couldn't find a picture of Jabba the Hut made out of pink mayonnaise.
How about this Jabba made out of a bacon scone next to a small pool of sick..? :huh:

Eh? ...Eh? :crazy:

I think the people that are missing the point are thinking a custom bass is a Jazz bass with a tort guard and a set of bart pickups rather than the point EBS freak is making where we are talking total one offs or items that hold a value to some people partly because of the name which could even be a dull Jazz bass that costs three times as much for no other reason than the brand. If you want Nike trainers then you want Nike trainers, a pair of Nuke ones off the market might even be better trainers but you still aint got a pair of Nike have you?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1380625145' post='2227942']
I think the people that are missing the point are thinking a custom bass is a Jazz bass with a tort guard and a set of bart pickups rather than the point EBS freak is making where we are talking total one offs or items that hold a value to some people partly because of the name which could even be a dull Jazz bass that costs three times as much for no other reason than the brand. If you want Nike trainers then you want Nike trainers, a pair of Nuke ones off the market might even be better trainers but you still aint got a pair of Nike have you?
[/quote]

Bingo. For example, you can also buy a J bass from other places, not just Alleva Coppolo...but it won't have that ludicrous headstock with the squirly writing on it... and that may be a must have for you! :P

If you aren't fussed about brands and just want a J bass that is made by a luthier... then the world is your oyster... and then you can certainly vote with your wallet.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1380624887' post='2227933']
So if someone on here tells a tale of bad service for an item that is only available from one supplier we can all read the thread and get the item from somewhere else?
[/quote]

Or they can make a decision whether the wait and hassle is for them and if not, get something else that is similar from someone else, something completely different or just not buy anything!

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1380627515' post='2227993']
Or they can make a decision whether the wait and hassle is for them and if not, get something else that is similar from someone else, something completely different or just not buy anything!
[/quote]

Is that the penny dropping?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1380627147' post='2227986']
FWIW, Jon Letts hasn't been on BassChat since July so he won't read this thread at all unless someone points it out to him. He is still active though, as he posted some build pics this morning on FaceBook
[/quote]

You don't have to be logged onto BassChat to read this thread.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1380627515' post='2227993']
[/quote]
In reality what happens is the people who waited ages and got really sick of waiting then come back and say even after all the trouble it was worth the wait because its exactly what I wanted and no one else could have made it, so we are still in the dark really. We all know these things will take forever without people pointing it out IMO. I think what I am saying is that most people have already got serious gas for a specific item before they get to the stage of finding out how long it takes to be built.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1380628103' post='2228005']
In reality what happens is the people who waited ages and got really sick of waiting then come back and say even after all the trouble it was worth the wait because its exactly what I wanted and no one else could have made it, so we are still in the dark really. We all know these things will take forever without people pointing it out IMO.
[/quote]

Isn't that how buying a BF cab seems to work?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380627983' post='2228002']
[/quote]

My first custom built basses ever, I searched on here and there was nothing to suggest any major problems with time keeping at Lettsbass in peoples reviews beforehand. So there seemed to be no problems, it's just unfortunate I am one who seems to have been taken advantage of. Hence why this thread exists because I never had the advantage of reading up on possible negatives before putting in an order (If they existed).

Maybe you could "Drop" the condescending attitude and baiting behavior? Which of course you'll deny and possibly say "I was only trying to help, what a terrible thing for a moderator to say". <_<

Reading between the lines it seems like you are saying I am a fool for thinking the best of people. Thanks for that, it's really appreciated. Maybe I am a fool for doing that, but I don't need you implying that. Of course, you would deny that as well.

Well all these posts are in a personal capacity anyway.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1380628341' post='2228009']
My first custom built basses ever, I searched on here and there was nothing to suggest any major problems with time keeping at Lettsbass in peoples reviews beforehand. So there seemed to be no problems, it's just unfortunate I am one who seems to have been taken advantage of.

Maybe you could "Drop" the condescending attitude and baiting behavior? Which of course you'll deny and say "I was only trying to help, what a terrible thing for a moderator to say". <_<

[/quote]

Nothing baiting or condescending from this camp I am afraid. I have spoken nothing but sense... how you chose to interpret my written word is up to you! I understand your frustration and if my words have made you feel uneasy, maybe buying bespoke products is not the route for you, especially if you are having difficulty in resolving the issues. Life is too short! Get out there and do some playing instead.

I don't believe at any point I have said you were wrong for ordering what you've ordered. I am a fan of custom products... but I also know the nightmares that they can and often do bring. I do hope that they get sorted... but running people's names across the internet rarely get's things sorted... and sours any lines of communications further making resolution that little bit more difficult.

"Terrible thing for a moderator to say" - you think I bother reading what is under people's avatars? We're all just people. Say what you want, moderator or not.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380627983' post='2228002']
[/quote]
My first custom built basses ever, I searched on here and there was nothing to suggest any major problems with time keeping at Lettsbass in peoples reviews beforehand. So there seemed to be no problems, it's just unfortunate I am one who seems to have been taken advantage of. Hence why this thread exists because I never had the advantage of reading up on possible negatives before putting in an order (If they existed).

Maybe you could "Drop" the condescending attitude and baiting behavior? Which of course you'll deny and possibly say "I was only trying to help, what a terrible thing for a moderator to say". <_<

Reading between the lines it seems like you are saying I am a fool for thinking the best of people. Thanks for that, it's really appreciated. Maybe I am a fool for doing that, but I don't need you implying that. Of course, you would deny that as well.

[/quote]

THAT ^

So, is the penny dropping ?

[/quote]
This is the point I have been trying to get across to EBS Freak all along!

If you are a first time customer, how are you supposed to know that you will get lied to over delivery times etc?

You are not a fool in my eyes, and you deserve to be angry for having to put up with terrible service, and you definitely should not have to [b][i]put up and shut up![/i][/b]

Only my opinion of course!