Why become a member? ×

Which PA would you choose?

okusman

Having sold our passive PA system, the band is humming and harring about an active system to buy...in essence 4 boxes!!! Gigs usually up to 200 people, needs to be bi-amp system, compact and sound great. It's mainly for vocals, keys and reinforcement of the rest of us. We have about £3500 burning a whole the band kitty....
Options seem to be:
FBT ProMaxX, RCF 7 series, QSC K series, or Turbosound Milans.
Any input/experience/ideas/definite choices really appreciated...

Thanks
Mark

Assuming the budget is just for 4 boxes then I think you can do well with this.

We tried K10's and they need to always run with subs unless a very small gig....but I think they are better that the K12's with subs for vox.
I think you'd also get the whole band through that rig well enough...

We use KW12's as they are better for Keys on their own..and that was the only reason we went for the 12's as we run the P.A
with keys and gtr plus 4 vox through them at loud Pub gigs.

We've added RCF 905 subs as we werent convinced the QSC subs were worth the price over what we go the RCF's for.
I believe that lot came in at a lot less that £3500 new.

The QSC tops work well at very good volumes..and it is only when we start to outplay the kit..and he is very loud or rather the snare is... that we carry the subs.

I will not add RCF and other stuff to the review as we feel the QSC stuff is probably the best at that price point.and weight.

Subs are subs in that they will all be heavy and the cabs need to be wooden..IMV...but you still need to by decent ones as the likes
of Thumps are too flabby.

You could probably go all QSC for your budget. I am not that knocked out with HK these days ..altho I think they do decent wooden box versions
but I've come across a few horn failures in the later versions. Ditto JBL, but we might be talking a few years ago.. but not 1st gen kit.

If active wasn't an option, then I'd go for Martin SH.... as this outclasses QSC, I think... but then you are in an other priceleague. SH is very attractive, tho.
QSC for your needs is a pretty decent league to be in though for 200 ppl venues.

The best P.A's I've heard from typical pub bands have been QSC.... but if your gigs are a more discerning and bigger, you'd be hiring in anyway.

Don't know your Turbosounds, but you may be into their budget line pricepoint..??

Edited by JTUK

I ould say..with that budget, you need to spend a day A/B'ing them all in a dedicated store.

Andertons in Guildford had a very good stock on the cabs we wanted to hear...and you should find the same..with all the relevant models to be demo'd..
You might have to travel, but there is no way round this dirty work.. :lol:

I'm running QSC K12s and Ksubs.
Great sound and nice and compact. Very occasionally I run without the subs and the 12s sound full and rich.
I think I paid £3150 for the lot, from pro audio systems.
The subs weight about 30kg each but have excellent castors and the handles are so well positioned that they do not present any problems.

We put everything through it, drums, bass, guitars and guitar synth.

I've even used it outside with an extra Ksub (3 of them) and it was awesome

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1380454885' post='2225417']
I've had good results from HK Actor, a used six box system might come in your price range and you'd be able to scale it down to four or two boxes as required for smaller rooms.
[/quote]

+1
I do pa hire, and have not had problems at all with the Hk Actor,hifi clear and punchy and looks great

Edited by funkgod

I use two completely different PA rigs and they're both superb, and compact. The first is an EV rig. Pair of EV SX100+, Bell and Ecler power amps and a Peavey XR800F desk which mixes and also acts as monitor power amp. No problems there, fits into the back of my Fabia with my full bass rig too! For bigger gigs, there's two VX15 subs too which are excellent!

The other (which I prefer to be honest) is my function band's Yamaha system. Active so more portable, and very loud. Got a pair of DXR12 speakers which are 1100watt a side class D, and the DXS15 powered sub, then a Mackie desk. Essentially 4 boxes, and it goes between a Fiesta and a Fabia plus a 5 piece band and our gear!

HK are lovely I had a early Actor and it was superb, Thomann had a special on the HK Elias not so long back for £1900! I also owned some K12's and they sounded great and very light weight.

I now own a full Line 6 Dreamstage system and am very very happy with it, Its cut setup time in half and the amount of positive compliments I get on the quality of sound is unbelievable and no feedback ever with the built in feedback destroyer.