Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

YOUR ideas for the Recording forum - WHAT'S HAPPENING...

Skol303

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1381919976' post='2245359']
Maybe someone could open the door to folk like me be writing a sticky with some basic information. Maybe they should assume the reader has a combo with a phones/speaker o/put, a laptop and a bass. Where do I go from here?

[/quote]

Same from me.... I'd like to be able to contribute to this as well.

I'm limited on the time (and currently money) to get my self in a position to be able to record.
I must admit the time factor is my biggest concern.
Let's say I had an hour to do something bass related - I would much rather be playing or practicing or learning.
I am reluictant to open the door to, what I see as a slippery slope, of faffing with the computer and settings on this, that and t'other.

A simple, user friendly guide and setup and colour me interested.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1381925924' post='2245520']
TBH a single new forum within the performance section that is for Basschat members bands and contains both live photo and videos as well as recordings and Promo videos would be the best solution IMO to both the ideas being discussed here and the over-abunance of pinned thread currently clogging up the gigs forum.
[/quote]

this +1

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1381922686' post='2245434']
Cheers Dave! No demand as yet for a competition exclusive to people working in outhouses... but give it time mate, give it time :D
[/quote]

There is now! (if gav pulls his finger out and records something we could have that one sewn up) ;)
btw, was out there last night actually doing some work, it is a much nicer environment than the old garage was, and the frost heater and extractor fan are strangely calming. Need to remember to turn them off before turning the mics on though.
:)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381928581' post='2245590']
How about a separate forum in the Performance Section called [b]Basschat Members' Bands [/b]or summat. No need to even pin them. Just a list of BC members' bands, created and controlled by the members themselves, they can sling everything in there.
[/quote]

This, definitely this. One stop shop for all your newfound favourite bands stuff. less hunting for things, more time listening/watching and enjoying.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1381933941' post='2245704']
There is now! (if gav pulls his finger out and records something we could have that one sewn up) ;)
btw, was out there last night actually doing some work, it is a much nicer environment than the old garage was, and the frost heater and extractor fan are strangely calming. Need to remember to turn them off before turning the mics on though.

This, definitely this. One stop shop for all your newfound favourite bands stuff. less hunting for things, more time listening/watching and enjoying.
[/quote]

You mean like... facebook or the bands website :P

I think it would be a better idea to promote bands getting discovered than just promote the bands people already know about :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1381935341' post='2245725']
You mean like... facebook or the bands website :P

I think it would be a better idea to promote bands getting discovered than just promote the bands people already know about :)
[/quote]

Yeah, but finding BC members bands on here (that aren't Kit Richardson, All the Queens Ravens or the Terrortones, no offence chaps) is not so easy when you are trying to remember after you've seen the threads at work.
When you get home and think "I'll go and have a listen to that" you can rarely remember the title of the thread it was linked in, never mind where it has slipped down the boards to now.

For example there's a band called cerebral smell or something round here, but i can't remember who's it is, and google's giving me nothing....
;) :yarr:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1381935341' post='2245725']
[b]You mean like... facebook or the bands website :P[/b]

[/quote]
By that reasoning you could shelve Basschat by saying, 'you mean like... talkbass?' :)

We are talking about a Basschat-specific repository for members' band information all in one place, with all the bands in one place. It's not like Facebook or a website, because it's within a niche community, not out there in the worldwide 'community'.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381928581' post='2245590']
How about a separate forum in the Performance Section called [b]Basschat Members' Bands [/b]or summat. No need to even pin them. Just a list of BC members' bands, created and controlled by the members themselves, they can sling everything in there.
[/quote]

This does seem a common sensical idea , I quite like it TBH :)
[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1381920928' post='2245387']
Many thanks for the quick response. I'd like to understand what other folk are talking about. So a simple glossary would be good.

WRT the starting to record, I've probably met my requirements.

Others may like to know a good low cost way to get started to write the kind of music in the monthly composition compo.
Others may want to get to where I am, but using another route other than a Zoom.
[/quote] and
[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1381929075' post='2245598']
Same from me.... I'd like to be able to contribute to this as well.

I'm limited on the time (and currently money) to get my self in a position to be able to record.
I must admit the time factor is my biggest concern.
Let's say I had an hour to do something bass related - I would much rather be playing or practicing or learning.
I am reluictant to open the door to, what I see as a slippery slope, of faffing with the computer and settings on this, that and t'other.

A simple, user friendly guide and setup and colour me interested.
[/quote]

I am a very latecomer to home recording and if I can help I will , it is odd that it seems soooooo much hassle getting your first steps on the rung , everything just seems strange and you miss some obvious bits because there is too much to play with . I still get that so I can still see the recording noob in me !!

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/information/Glossary.php"]this helps me a lot[/url] , thanks to Si who pointed me to it ....

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381947172' post='2245955']
By that reasoning you could shelve Basschat by saying, 'you mean like... talkbass?' :)

We are talking about a Basschat-specific repository for members' band information all in one place, with all the bands in one place. It's not like Facebook or a website, because it's within a niche community, not out there in the worldwide 'community'.
[/quote]

I'm just concerned that what will happen in this case is we'll end up with a lot of threads that no-one ever visits because no-one has heard of the bands. Whereas if we had one thread with a link to one song more bands will get discovered.

Or am I just talking rubbish :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1381994990' post='2246391']
I'm just concerned that what will happen in this case is we'll end up with a lot of threads that no-one ever visits because no-one has heard of the bands. Whereas if we had one thread with a link to one song more bands will get discovered.

Or am I just talking rubbish :lol:
[/quote]

But you don't get one thread with a link to one song, you get a dozen threads with links to a dozen songs, and they get lost. A thread per members band means you can find all their stuff, and when they have new stuff it gets bumped to the top. Unnecessary bumpage will be punished by letting Nige do their next review. ;)

I'm not entirely sure people are getting what I mean though :lol:

How many of us are likely to go into a thread with the title of a band we've never heard of with the aim to listen to their music?

So you see hundreds of bands you've never heard of... would you pick one at random to listen too? All I'm seeing the proposed model doing is further advertising for the well known bands on BC

I'd see it more as like the feedback forum, whereas now when you see a randomly posted gig picture, or a snippet of a tune posted in another related thread, it takes a while to hunt down more of their stuff (if you're daft like me) if we had this, you could hunt it, and find out all you like, with BC related heckling thrown in.

Though I do see your point, it cuold end up as redundant as the Bar and Grill, or the oft posted in, probably never read "Show us your band videos" thread.

Brilliant. I'm on board with Twitter - just let me know. :)

The Gigs forum, on the other hand, is still waiting for an admin to create a new subforum for testing the band media section. I'll give you guys here a shout when that happens, in case your bands want to publish live material as well as studio stuff.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1380126370' post='2221235']
[b]1) Setting up a new sub-forum for Basschat members' music.[/b] I was thinking of maybe calling it 'Members' Music', but I keep sniggering at the word 'member' - yeah, I've watched too much Beavis and Butthead - so how about we just call it 'Share Your Music'? If you've got a suggestion for the name then pipe up and let us know ASAP. We'll be setting up the new sub-forum any day now. We'll include a sticky explaining some basic rules (nothing major, just the usual sensible stuff about copyright and offensive material). We'll also include a 'polite suggestion' for anyone uploading to also comment on someone else's music. I've seen this work well on other forums so it's worth a try :)
[/quote]

Brilliant ideas all round, thanks to everyone working on the new recording forum! Do remember (and this is why I quoted the above) that there is a Basschat Soundcloud group where you can share you music to fellow Basschatters: [url="https://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat"]https://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat[/url]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1382636185' post='2254851']Brilliant ideas all round, thanks to everyone working on the new recording forum! Do remember (and this is why I quoted the above) that there is a Basschat Soundcloud group where you can share you music to fellow Basschatters: [url="https://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat"]https://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat[/url]
[/quote]

Good call mate! I'll make sure the BC SoundCloud group is sufficiently plugged when we set up the new sub-forum for sharing music :)