Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Cabs to Complement Orange Terror Bass 500

41.2Hz

Basstone purveyors,

I'm in the process of upgrading/downsizing my rig. To date I've been using an Ashdown Mag 300 through the matching Mag 410 and 115 cabs - good enough in the pub gig environment, but I'm getting fed up of hauling the cabs (esp. the 410) in and out of the car.

Having used one several times at the rehearsal rooms and fallen in lust, I've just bought an OTB 500. I'm looking to replace the cabs with something suitably lightweight that will still do justice to the phat tones that the Terror can deliver.

Having read about the love all over Basschat for Barefaced I contacted Alex for his advice - he's suggested either the new Super Twin or a pair of Super Compacts. I'm seriously tempted, but the cost is a big sell for my better half!

For those of you using the OTB 500, are there any cabs or cab combinations that you'd recommend?

Mike

The best I came up with (and still occasionally gig with) is a pairing of Compact + Midget.

If you're looking to keep costs down, bear in mind that Alex has just launched a new range of cabs, so a number of Barefaced [i]afficianados [/i]will be seeking to trade up ... in the process unleashing a tidal wave of pre-loved sales. :P

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-cabs-new-to-the-uk-review/"]TKS Engineering[/url] is worth a look. The link is to a long thread, with lots of info.

One guy at the bash who runs a Terror 500 took the 15" away with him for a few days, and was knocked out by it. Very lightweight.

This is the TKS 15" is the cab that wateroftyne is talking about and the orange 410 is mine. The 15" is 450watts (?) £525 and 18kg. My OBC410 is 600watt and 41kg.

I can lift the orange with much grunting, the TKS i can lift in one hand and do a jig.

In terms of sound, it is suprisingly VERY similar to my 410, not as loud of course, but then my 410 is mega loud enough to totally obliterate anything our two metal guitarists can put my way. The TKS could quite easily replace it though, it is very capable of huge volume if needed and just at home with quieter volume. I used this for a rehersal with my metal band and we put it through its paces and it really didnt disapoint. It has an adjustable tweeter which works very well.

Very recomended.

This is a 112, shows you the kind of finish you can get, all customizable. Very pretty and well made. This sounded sweet, but at 125watts, isn't suitable for my needs.

I also tried it through one and two of these 12" barefaced cabs. I liked the sound, very loud for their size and of course lightweight. Nice setup if you have the money.

Out of all of these, I would go for the 15" TKS, loud, great sound, very reasonable price, customizable and solid.

Tech Soundsystems 4*12. A religious experience!

Alas too much for my needs now. Thinking of a fearful 12/6 or Barefaced big baby (possibly a tks 1126) to replace the Tech. Should cover all my future needs!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1380118878' post='2221078']
[i]I'm collecting a s/h Barefaced Compact on Saturday (cheers Mace!!) - can't wait to try it out with the Terror...[/i]
[/quote]

Supposed to be an epic combination that!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1380144885' post='2221610']
Supposed to be an epic combination that!
[/quote]

I'm gonna have that combination myself, but that said, some people do not appreciate it at all, and have worded their aversion quite strongly.
I don't know why that is, but it may be worth a search.

[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1380118878' post='2221078']
[i]I'm collecting a s/h Barefaced Compact on Saturday (cheers Mace!!) - can't wait to try it out with the Terror...[/i]
[/quote]

I had that setup for a while. If you like the sound of the TB, then this lot will be very pleasing. It's basically a loud 500W 1x15 setup weighing just 17kg. What's not to like?

Enjoy!

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1380182215' post='2221822']
I had that setup for a while. If you like the sound of the TB, then this lot will be very pleasing. It's basically a loud 500W 1x15 setup weighing just 17kg. What's not to like?

Enjoy!

Geoff
[/quote]

It just struck me that way back when, when i was in my late teens (more years ago than I care to contemplate) with aspirations of being a rock star, I was making a racket using a big ole Laney all-valve 100w amp and a mahoosive 2 x 15 cab. Here I am after all this time back with a very similar setup, but at a fraction of the weight!

[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1380183838' post='2221847']

It just struck me that way back when, when i was in my late teens (more years ago than I care to contemplate) with aspirations of being a rock star, I was making a racket using a big ole Laney all-valve 100w amp and a mahoosive 2 x 15 cab. Here I am after all this time back with a very similar setup, but at a fraction of the weight!
[/quote]

I think we all were, back in the day, but things move on.
I have an orange terror and my main amp is a Genz Benz shuttlemax 9.2. This thing is 900 watts and weighs about as much as a bag of sugar. It also sounds a lot nicer than my old cast iron 80's amp :-)
Enjoy
Thebassman

Just back from rehearsal - now I know what all the BF fuss is all about! Wow

A faithful rendering of the OTB tone all they way through the register, no waffle or fart - just clear beautiful bass mmm. The rest of the band were complimentary too, and impressed with the (lack of) weight