Why become a member? ×

Motley Crue/Shout At The Devil

NancyJohnson

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1379963710' post='2218865']
For some reason, Vincent Neil reminds me of Bif Byford with a cold. (Not visually you understand ) ;)
[/quote]

Potentially even more disturbing than Vince Neil and Motley Crue is my vivid and traumatic memory of Biff Byford and Saxon trying to crack the American market in the mid-80's with their own Hair Metal makeover . The image of those Barnsley' boys in skintight spandex with big poofs of tousled bleach blonde hair still gives me chills whenever I think about it . Take a look at the official video for " Ride Like The Wind" by Saxon on You Tube and I promise you , Biff's personal style in it will live with you for a long time to come .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379966144' post='2218925']
Potentially even more disturbing than Vince Neil and Motley Crue is my vivid and traumatic memory of Biff Byford and Saxon trying to crack the American market in the mid-80's with their own Hair Metal makeover . The image of those Barnsley' boys in skintight spandex with big poofs of tousled bleach blonde hair still gives me chills whenever I think about it . Take a look at the official video for " Ride Like The Wind" by Saxon on You Tube and I promise you , Biff's personal style in it will live with you for a long time to come .
[/quote]

Living proof that too much pie n' chips and skin tight spandex/bandanas do not mix.

I always thought Grim Reaper were the worst offenders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGvU4XXntMk

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1379966362' post='2218931']
I used to be a fan of them till the strong arm of the law tour,and that was 1 gig too many. I know what you mean ;)
[/quote]

I remember seeing them opening for Motorhead on the Bomber tour , and I bought their first couple of albums . Looking back , they always looked a bit ridiculous even then , but they really took it to new heights in the 1980's. Glad to see they are still going, though , and I wish them well . I would love to see a documentary about what it must be like being in Saxon when you are in your sixties .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Jupiter' timestamp='1379967136' post='2218945']
Living proof that too much pie n' chips and skin tight spandex/bandanas do not mix.

I always thought Grim Reaper were the worst offenders: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGvU4XXntMk[/media]
[/quote]

Multiple hair crimes going on in that one! :o

Edited by Dingus

I always thought Grim Reaper were the worst offenders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGvU4XXntMk
[/quote]

That was funny . Was that a green bass ?;)

Brownsville Station did the original I believe.

At least the years of drugs, booze and rock and roll haven't taken their toll on Mick Mars though.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Mick_Mars_2012.jpg

Very well errm "preserved" :)

I saw Biff Byford in Carnaby street a couple of years ago (was too star struck to say hello :D) he was wearing full black eighties gear - skin tight black jeans, cowboy boots over the top, black and pearl cowboy shirt and biker jacket. And a huge belly. No. Just no :)

Edited by BobVbass

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1379920060' post='2218106']
Lets be honest here; the first album is the album to listen to.Everything else is pretty pony IMHO .
There are good tracks on satd, but not a whole album. The more albums they did, the worse they got IMHO .

Style over substance.
[/quote]
Agree totally!
The first album TFFL is the only decent stuff they released and that has to be the very raw Leathur records release of said album,
not the wimpy tarted up Elektra re-release.

[/quote]
Christ that takes me back a bit, I supported Steve Grimmett when he was touring with Lionsheart!

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1380001961' post='2219239']

I saw Biff Byford in Carnaby street a couple of years ago (was too star struck to say hello :D) he was wearing full black eighties gear - skin tight black jeans, cowboy boots over the top, black and pearl cowboy shirt and biker jacket. And a huge belly. No. Just no :)
[/quote]

Glad to hear that Biff didn't let me down in the fashion stakes! Sounds like he is keeping it real, even though he now has a bus pass.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379966144' post='2218925']
[/quote]

I spotted a recent Classic Rock (or Metal Hammer) review of a new Saxon album which, seeing as they've been back to doing 'Metal' they last decade or two, complimented them on always sticking to their guns. I was like 'eh? did they f00k!' and began talking to the magazine about that very video! annoys me when journos reinvent history because they either don't know or don't remember. I do respect Saxon n Biff mind, I bought the old classics on vinyl recently and they're still great. They also still know how to rock a show too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4b91QeXGIA

Saxon were and still are a great band IMO - good sing along songs and tongue firmly in cheek. Somewhere there is a Kerrang with a picture of Biff wearing a Parrot hat I threw at him at Hammersmith one gig. I sold one of my P basses to Steve Dawson once as well - top chap, really lovely bloke

Saxon were never 'heavy metal' in their early days as I saw it. Classic melodic British heavy rock. then the crowds began to dwindle, they had a go at the US market (failed inevitably) and then went chasing the younger audience brought up on the likes of Metallica (we've all got to make a living I guess) and became much heavier, thrashier than they ever were in their heyday at which point I totally lost interest. Byford still seems the sort of bloke I'd happily have a pint with though.

Saxon at the Birmingham Odeon was my first ever gig...I think. It could have been Gary Moore.

I've dipped in and out with Crue over the years. It's been a long time since I've listened to it but I seem to remember thinking SATD was pretty good. I quite liked my cassette copy of Theatre of Pain :D I saw them on the Dr Feelgood tour with Tommy Lee's spinning drum kit.

I remember meeting Saxon a couple of times whent hey first came out by virtue of their Motorhead connection( it's a long story, but I was quite friendly with Motorhead when I was a kid) they were indeed all really decent down-to-earth blokes who you would cheerfully have a drink with.. In the late '70's they were one of the best of the new British hard rock acts , without doubt , but suffered a little bit maybe from the fact that they were not easy to market successfully to an American audience because of their age and overall appearance. Like I said earlier, I'm glad they are still out there doing their thing and I am sure that after nearly fourty years they must have a hard-core fan base in various parts of the World that will always stick with them.

Edited by Dingus