Why become a member? ×

Motley Crue/Shout At The Devil

NancyJohnson

As I'm a paid up member of Spotify, I've decided to locate and listen to a bunch of stuff that I will openly declare I [i]loved [/i]when it was released, none of which I presently own.

The experiment has been going pretty well to be honest until I hit upon SATD. Don't get me wrong, I adored Motley Crue, well, at the time. Happy memories of being bitten on the arm by Tommy Lee at Donington (and well, Donington generally), but it's thirty years later and I'm struggling to see the attraction. It's a truly [i]awful [/i]album; there's nothing to redeem it.

Oh, well, next stop Polytown.
P

No way, it`s a GREAT album. Looks That Kill, B*st*rd, and the best ever cover of Helter Skelter. Mick Mars`s guitar has never been as good/awful since, Vince Neils voice was superb, in my view it`s one of The Crues best (Girls Girls Girls just about pips it for me).

Shout at the Devil is an excellent album IMO - love it - just suspend any highbrow musical values you have (not saying the OP - I mean anyone that listens to it) and enjoy the moment - 80's Glam Metal at it's finest before all the drugs tore it down; or maybe you just had to be there :) Theatre of Pain Tour at Hammersmith with Cheap Trick in support; what a gig!

As along time Crue fan from back in the day I have to agree with the OP. Whilst there's some classic tracks on SATD somehow the track list doesn't match up to the listening experience all these years later. The first album's still ace as are Girls & Dr Feelgood. Everything else they've done has been substandard compared to those for me.

That said, even their later 'unfocused period' stuff & subsequent over-hyped 'return to form' pap beats Oasis any day!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1379920060' post='2218106']
Lets be honest here; the first album is the album to listen to.Everything else is pretty pony IMHO .
There are good tracks on satd, but not a whole album. The more albums they did, the worse they got IMHO .

Style over substance.
[/quote] You hit the nail on the head there Ray I couldn't agree more

Surely that's one of the finest piano pieces ever recorded?

Proof if ever that drummers & pianos should never mix.

Dunno about the rest of their stuff being inconsistent. It's Motley Crue, they're hardly a top class studio act. All you want is catchy dumbass pop songs & dirty riffs. Girls & Feelgood have got em in spades. SATD has to an extent but the overall sound on the album is horrible.

& Theatre of Pain is a disappointing blandfest. Named it well tho.

I'm surpised this has generated so many replies!

Let me say I adored Too Fast For Love (I still do) and my Crue-going gig credentials weren't too poor early on either; I saw them at the aforementioned Donington (I actually saw the Andy Kershaw interview being filmed for OGWT too, although we had no idea who Kershaw was at the time), London's Dominion Theatre, Hammersmith (two nights with Cheap Trick), Wembley, but something [on vinyl for me at least], was missing after this. SATD is one of those albums that I have very fond memories of, but retrospectively (Looks That Kill aside) doesn't stand the test of time.

I would cite the John Corabi period 'Motley Crue' album as my favourite one...it's a wonderful, mature, gritty album and it's a pity that they didn't get the chance to develop the line up further. Gone was Vince's whiney vocal and everything is just huge. If you haven't listened to it, give it a punt.
P

I really liked Too Fast for Love (more cowbell!!!!) and think Motley were a great example of a band who got [b]worse[/b] with every release (ducks for cover!)

That said I liked the self titled 1994 album they did with John Corabi which surprised me as I don't really like heavy rock or grunge.

Never bothered listening to that album so took the plunge just now. Surprised by how strong it actually is & how good Corabi's voice is. But it's a Crue album in name only, might as well be a completely different band in terms of sound, style, the lot! Considering the formula was a one-off it's more of an anomaly than a proper Crue album & comparing it to their other stuff is apples & oranges IMO.

BTW is that Dikki Prixx playing bass on there or is it Bob Rock/some producer? It's the usual meat & potatoes stuff but sounds a bit more solid than Sixx's usual *ahem* efforts.