Why become a member? ×

Gk decisions

horrorshowbass

Hi lads and lassies,
ill try and not make this an essay.
I need some expert advice on what route to go with GK gear, im looking to step up from my meh Behringer combo.
For ages i was sure i wanted a RB head/cab or combo, mostly for the GK sound(more specifically "growl") but after reading reviews of the MB series, I believe this sound can be acheived with the MB500 and combo range. Im currently torn between a 700rb/neo 410 or a MB212 combo. Weighing up the power of the RB series and portability of MB is proving tough, especially if the MB can get similar sounds. I play mostly classic rock with my covers band but also enjoy playing along to more modern stuff at home (Muse,RHCP,Tool).
Price wise, its pretty much the same so thats not really an issue.
On a similar note, could I get away with the MB112 combo in a rock band situation? (3 piece).
Ive been using a 12" 125 watt Behringer but been pushing it harder than it wants to go. I know the GK MB112 is a world apart and rated at 200 watts so leaning towards this. What do you think?.
Sorry, it was an essay :)
Michael

Edited by horrorshowbass

I`ve not had any of the combos in the MB range, but have had the MB500 & MB Fusion 500 heads. My thoughts are they are great, really good GK sound. Re the combos, well in my band with 2 bassists I get away with using a 1x12 combo, but in my other band with just 1 bass, I add in a 1x12 ext speaker as I find just the one 12-inch speaker in a punk band holding all the low end is a bit ambitious. Loud enough certainly, but I prefer the depth of the two. So I`d go for the 212 in your position.

I had a MB200 as backup for my 700RB-II .... MB is the only GK class D I've tried but didn't think it was loud enough, the 500 or 800 will be but not sure about the growl. The 700 however thru BF S12T was too loud ! Got the 'GK growl' alright but had to crank it. Love it .... I actually bought both these amps after trying an 80's 400RB, that's when I found out what they were talking about .... I only sold 700 coz I was no longer in a band & needed the cash. I did bi-amp it but don't think I'd bother again as I'd go for the lesser powered RB to achieve the same awesome sound at more usable volume. It doesn't have bi-amp feature. If not powerful enough for you just get the 700 but they're loud.

Only got a Tech21 Landmark 300 as it was a good deal at the time and hoping to get a similar if not the same growl from it ... would have bought a 400RB-IV if one has come along at the same time.

So my recommendation would be .... get a good cab which may well cost more than the amp, maybe a 4ohm 2x12 (GK neo 212 gets good reviews) & [b]just get a 400RB-IV[/b] ... sorted !

Cheers sifi2112 (rush fan?;))
yeah keep seein old 80s 400rb and 800rb heads on eBay. Been tempted cud i wouldn't need that much power really. Thinkin i want more bigger size too so prob gona go for a 210\410 with a backline head. Do u think the 700rb has to be pushed at too loud a volume to get growly then?
cheers
mick

RUSH indeed ! I used my 700 thru a 4 ohm barefaced 212 super T cab which actually moved / jumped backwards on my laminate floor when I cranked the amp ! It pushed that much air but that is too loud for most pubs / small venues. So it depends on what & where you're gonna use it.

On talkbass there's a great thread regarding the GK growl & Rob Gallien explains how driving the power amp helps create this sound.

I certainly rate the 700RB-II, cracking amp that's been around for quite a while, not too heavy & not too big, class G power amp btw. However, IMHO I would love to try the 280w 400RB-IV with my current PJB 9B cab (or decent 212) I bet that would've sounded as good if not better at the (small/medium) venues I used to play as I'd be able to crank it more to get it to 'hit the rails' !

Si

ps. 700 with a single 8ohm cab might achieve the same but I haven't tried it so can't be sure, however you can then add a second 8ohm cab for more volume if required ,,, hope any of this helps mate :)

Edited by sifi2112

I had a 700RB 115 combo and it was awesome. Now I play a MB Fusion (Lozz's old one) thru Barefaced cabs and love it. I also have a MB200 for rehearsals/backup which sounds great too, but not loud enough for most gigs (at least through 1 Compact, I've not tried it through both). I love the GK sounds and whilst there are differences between the three (too subtle for me to be able to explain) they all sound great and have plenty of punch and plenty of eq control. The MB range wins for me because of the portability. If you're anywhere near North Yorkshire you're welcome to come and try them.

Thanks guys, great info. Kirky thanks for the offer man but in in Ireland;)
I'm leaning towards the mb combos, budget bit tighter than i thought. Would a GK MB112 be enough for a three piece classic rock band, small to medium pub gigs? I usually go through PA anyways(drummer is the soundman)so if amp had quality DI id be all over it.
thanks
Michael

I have an ampeg pf500 going into either a GK MB 115 cab or Warwick 4 x10 and i must say that although the GK is loud enough, just, in a loud rock band, the bass is much deeper and,to my ears, 'better' with the Warwick, which you would probably expect, but i really don't rate the tone of the GK,personally. It's good for upstairs rehearsals though.....!!!

I have GK stuff and find it brilliant. I have the 700RB head which I play through a 2x10 and 1x15 cab. At my last gig, I just took the 1x15" cab with me and had no problems at all.

I had a 400RB-IV before that I really liked but I found that it couldn't keep up when played through just the 2x10.

Sometimes, I consider selling the lot and getting something else, but I come to my senses.

Hi Guys. Is anyone using a GK MB500 head with 2 GK Neo 112-ii cabs? I think the head is rated at 350W with 1 cab and 500W with two (each cab is 8ohm). Does the MB500 have the famous GK "growl"? Is the MB Fusion 500 a better bet? Is this rig big enough to fill a small hall (say 200 people)? WIll one cab do it or would I need both? Sorry for all the questions and for piggy backing on this thread but I didn't want to start a new thread as it's related to this one anyone. Cheers :-)

My set-up is a Gallien Krueger MB500 head + Neo 210 cab. 350w @ 8ohms ... 500w if I add another cab.

The MB500 definately posseses the GK "growl". The boost channel ( master b ) allows you to have control over exactly how much growl you want. It's also foot-switchable, so easy to switch between this and a cleaner setting ... and it sounds as clean as you like too! It's an excellent amp.

I have no practical experience of the new MB series combos or cabs, but I was considering them and I researched my options well. I decided upon the Neo 210 cab (+MB500 head) primarily for the reason that there are too many negative comments out there regading the acoustics and build quality of the uber-light MB cabs for my comfort. Quotes like "boxy sounding" and "rattling". The Neo series cabs are only slightly heavier, but seem to be of a much higher standard of build. I had the benefit of having played through a GK Neo 210 in the past, so was entirely confident before taking the plunge.

I would recommend that you consider trying out an MB head with a Neo series cab. Not much more cost involved.

Edited by Fionn

I used a GK MB200 into Berg Neo 12" and paralleled this with my Genz streamliner 600 into my Berg ceramic HT322. The GK managed to keep up pretty easily volume wise. I've also used the MB200 into my HT322 and it has a clean but distinct sound. Wouldn't so much say a growl but definite edge to it. Tonally it has a lot of variation hence reason I've just bought the 1001RB because I was so impressed by the quality of the little MB200.
Not sure if that's any help to you but it is a very loud amp when ran into 4ohms. It has to be pretty close to volume of my 600 Genz

Dave

Thanks for your replies Fionn and Dave which are very useful. Sounds like the MB500 and 200 are both great amps. The 500 is more versatile in that you can connect two cabs. I need two 112 cabs rather than a 210 or 212 so they're easier to carry (bad back!). The 112 only weights about 33lbs.

I've had the MB210-II now for 5 months now, and I love it. I play in a trio doing the usual (and unusual, downright stupid) covers and have never had volume issues...it's rated at 350w standalone, 500w with extension, not to mention the option of the powered external cabs too. Currently I dont NEED extra cabs, although I may WANT them! I usually set the 'Boost' dial to about 1 o'clock and it's plenty growly for me! Big plus for me is the 16/17ish kg weight...my back loves me for it!

I currently use a GK 1001 RB ii - Great amp, but a very specific sound. I struggle with some of the pop and motown/rock and roll covers that my band do. I use an RBX 410 cab at the moment and I am selling my RBX 115 (8 ohm) (actually an incorrectly badged BLX 115) for £70, I will post it too for about £15.

Great amps, but be aware that the tone may not suit a wide range of music.

With the 1001 RB ii running the 410 (8 ohm), I have never had a volume issue......even in some big places.

[quote name='EdBod' timestamp='1380494494' post='2226275']The 500 is more versatile in that you can connect two cabs.[/quote]

You can definitely connect two cabs to the 200 as well, you just have to have a cab with 2 parallel inputs.

I use an MB500. Great piece of gear imo. Light, powerful, growly, strong eq, footswitchable drive channel.

I've used it into a small cab (orange sp210) without pa support and it worked fine in a small venue in a 3 piece rock band.

Usually with pa support and its always done its job.