Why become a member? ×

Bass Players, the good guy in the band!

rodacademy

Well one thing I know is that I seem to have morphed into the person that always books the rehearsal studio for both bands I'm in, and does all the e-mailing and texting round to see who's available. Which includes phoning one of the guitarists in person as he doesn't have a mobile (yes those people do still exist!). Since I am the newest member in one band I don't know how they managed without me, lol :)

Also, at an open mic night we went to recently, drummer had been told by the venue he didn't need to bring cymabls. We turned up - drum kit on stage but no sign of cymbals. Drummer actually said to me 'Could you ask that bloke if he's going to get out some cymbals?' To which I replied , 'no - you ask him, you're the drummer!'. :D

Drummer is a good bloke actually and had organised our appearance at this open mic. I think he'd just got used to me being the one who does the 'face to face' stuff. Not so much cos I'm a bass player, probably cos I'm a bossy cow. :lol:

A load of bull, to be honest. The theory that different people are attracted to different instruments and bass players tend to be the "nice guys" doesn't hold when you factor in the fact that half of us are ex-guitar players for whom guitar didn't work out. I don't fall into that category myself, although I'm still a tw*t. :P

Some people are decent folk and some just aren't; some of those who aren't play instruments and some of those who do play the same instruments. That's about where it ends. Some of the nicest people I've known have been drummers and singers, and most of my mates play guitar so I can't knock that much either. All of the bass players I've known outside of multiple-band gigs, bar one, have been raging plebs.

There are always exceptions to any rule that you care to set up, but stereotypes are there for a reason. I wouldn't say it's always the case, but [i]most [/i]bass players i've known have been easy going, laid back nice guys, [i]most [/i]front men have been rather egotistical, [i]most [/i]guitarists have been showoffs (and also extremely unconfident about their own skill) and [i]most [/i]drummers have been somewhat... ummm, animalistic...?

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1378386672' post='2199497']
There are always exceptions to any rule that you care to set up, but stereotypes are there for a reason. I wouldn't say it's always the case, but [i]most [/i]bass players i've known have been easy going, laid back nice guys, [i]most [/i]front men have been rather egotistical, [i]most [/i]guitarists have been showoffs (and also extremely unconfident about their own skill) and [i]most [/i]drummers have been somewhat... ummm, animalistic...?
[/quote]

Yeh but isn't that just Portsmouth?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378378179' post='2199294']
:D Just taking the p, as usual. I didn't really expect you to travel from Aberdeen to London to fix mah cludgie!
[/quote]

What in heavens name is a cludgie? Sounds personal and painful to me.

Edited by ratman

Limited experience here but the guy who I play with at work during lunch is the guitarist, very modest of his abilities but is really very good. Unfortunately he has the attention span of a goldfish. We'll be playing along on the songs we agreed on and he'll stop. The problem? he didn't learn any further before he got bored or whatever, but can now play a bit of another song..... :mellow: Since we play on an occasional throughfare at work he also has the habit of breaking into the Deliverance banjo song whenever anyone walks past. f*** me, FOCUS!

Not the glue, but I do have the attention.