Why become a member? ×

New Macca tune

rushbo

Here's the Mighty Macca squeezing the last drop from 1966...false endings! Backwards guitars! It's all rather lovely...

[url="http://www.mojo4music.com/6163/paul-mccartney-new/"]http://www.mojo4musi...-mccartney-new/[/url]

Edited by rushbo

I keep rooting for Mac to write another great song, but I think that tank is empty. This one is tuneful enough, but it just doesn't quite make it. Another trite ditty And the 90's production doesn't help.

The problem is, if he comes up with an idea I'm sure everyone is there to tell him how magnificent it is when what he really could use is someone to say " that lyric stinks", or "No, try this instead." Till that happens, I don't think he'll strive for excellence. Of course, he's already excelled more than anyone else on the planet, but it would be nice if he came up with one more classic. And one more killer bassline.

Edited by Lowender

Without Lennon to help him, Macca has turned out (In my opinion) a lot of crap since the demise of the band that that could have been as good as Wings.
Apart from Band on The Run and Maybe I,m Amazed, its been dire.
This is not as bad as the frog song, but not for me :(

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377829771' post='2192495']
The problem is, if he comes up with an idea I'm sure everyone is there to tell him how magnificent it is when what he really could use is someone to say " that lyric stinks", or "No, try this instead." Till that happens, I don't think he'll strive for excellence. Of course, he's already excelled more than anyone else on the planet, but it would be nice if he came up with one more classic. And one more killer bassline.
[/quote]

I think that happened to some extent on the album produced by Nigel Godrich. I remember reading an interview with McCartney and him saying that Godrich was telling him things weren't any good, and to try something different, and McCartney being a bit put out, then remembering why Godrich was there.

I agree with the Godrich-opinion.. I think Nigel was the only one who had a great influence on Macca. Chaos is a really great album and I recently listened to Memory almost full and I didn't like it at all no matter how hard I tried..
Most of the time the single is really great and the rest is just filler...
Although I'm a huge Macca fan I'm not too fond of the way his voice has changed through the years.. there is a mellowness which has gone and I hear this in the new single.. Quite a catchy tune which grows on me but not his best.
I hope Ronson brings out the best like Godrich did...

I've never been an unconditional of Sir Paul, and this only serves to remind me why. For similar reasons, I'm not a fan of DairyLea Spread either, so I don't buy it. This neither. I shall stick to the maxim "If you've nothing good to say, say nothing". :mellow: