Why become a member? ×

Half Round Strings For Fretless

Mr Bassman

Anyone recommend either of these for a passive fretless Fender?

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-ENR72-050--105-Electric-Strings/dp/B0009FUPJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377536017&sr=8-1&keywords=half+wound+bass+strings"]ENR72[/url]

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-ENR71-Regular-045-100-Electric/dp/B0009FZWMW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1"]ENR71[/url]

Or is there something else out there that you prefer?

GHS Bright Flats which are actually half wounds are very nice. Lovely and smooth straight out the box and still have a growl when you want them. Much prefer half wounds on a fretless over flats every time. You can get them on Ebay quit regularly. Not usually sold by Strings direct etc.

A

Normally I'm not a fan, preferring flats on a fretless bass. However I recently tried a bass strung with SIT Silencers that I believe are branded as pressure wound strings and was impressed with the tone that they produced. Maybe worth considering as a further option.

:hi:... Interesting thread! thanks for all the posts :) ... just my tuppence worth really;

I tend to use any old 'dead' strings (on my fret-less JD GA24), which come off my fretted basses, and are usually round wounds. With the rear pick up selected, I play off the end of the finger board and still get that distinctive 'growl' that everyone loves..

I've tried the D'Addarios half rounds, GHS Brite Flats and Status half rounds. D'Addario were kinda meh, a bit too rough for my liking, more like rounds than flats. GHS were good, although the G and D felt a lot rougher than the E and A. Status are what I use now, all strings are nice and smooth, almost flatwound, yet still fairly bright, and I somehow get more mwaaah out of these than the others! Plus the Status strings are far easier and cheaper to obtain.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377551952' post='2188837']
chewing up the fretboard, for one
[/quote]
My US Masters fretless has been my main gigging and practicing bass for 6 years, only ever with rounds, and there is no wear that affects the sound at all. There are the fine lines across the board which appeared straight away but have hardly changed in the interim.
The board is Pau Ferro (don't know if this is meant to be harder than rosewood) and has a satin sheen similar to the neck itself, so it probably is some sort of treatment. If so, it clearly works!.
My defretted Hohner Jack had an untreated rosewood board, and I would never describe that as chewed up either. I think this is a bit of a myth, or certainly overstated, in my experience. Anyone else had the polar opposite?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1377956294' post='2194057']
GHS Pressure wounds. Lovely things.
[/quote]

I have these on my fretless P as well. They do a good job, bit more bite than flats with most of the feel of a flat.

I'll give the Status's a try if these others ever wear out.