Why become a member? ×

Best stainless steel roundwound strings?

TRBboy

Alright, I know it's a highly subjective thing, but I was just interested to know what type of ss roundwound strings are best in your opinion (considering tone, longevity and vfm)?

I've mainly been using either Rotos or D'addario Prosteels for the last few years, and they're kind of fine, but I'm just curious about other brands, especially some of the more "premium" ones. I haven't got the money to try them all out for comparison's sake! Hence why I'm asking for your opinions.

Thanks. :D

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376828045' post='2179536']
Although a long-term Rotosound Steels use (but having migrated to their Nickels) D`addario Steels have a nice sound to them, much fuller in the mid-range I found.
[/quote]

Yeah I kind of found the same, they're a bit more focused and have a bit more punch and definition.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1376827347' post='2179516']
Worth it for the money then? Do they last well?
[/quote]

Expensive compared with other brands but IMO they have the very best low B for through body stringing 5-string basses and that IMO makes them worth every penny. As for longevity it's very subjective; if I could I'd change them every month at least for maximum zing (and probably more often if I upped my rehearsal and gig schedule to more than 3 a week) but you can easily keep them going for 6 months if you look after them.

Edited by BigRedX

I like DRs. Hi Beams are good, but I think Fat Beams are my favourites. Yes, they are on the pricey side but IMO and IME they last MUCH longer than cheaper strings.

Whether you want them to "last" is of course subjective! What I mean by "last" is that they keep their brightness and zing for a long time. Some people dislike this, so, for them, DR would just be expensive strings!

Sadly, there really is no short cut on this one. You really have to try as many brands as you can afford.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1376828927' post='2179562']
Just looking at La Bellas, the spiel sounds like they'd be right up my street; flexible but deep tone for a stainless string, and the varies look good too. I may have to dig deep....[/quote]

The advertising and marketing blurb for most strings talk about tone in very subjective terms. Remember that they are trying to sell their product in a very crowded market sector. What is a "deep" tone? Can you get this from one string manufacturer? Could it not be negated by use of the tone controls on your bass and/or amp?

Totally subjective I would have thought unless you do a blind test with all other factors equal. And how many of us can do that?

DR Highbeams for me. I paid about £20 for my last set from the states, so wouldn't consider them particularly expensive.

I've also been very pleased with their longevity. I gigged my G&L last night and thought the sound was spot on, growly and punchy. I put that set on last Aug/Sep, So, about a year and I think I've used that bass for about 15 or so of our gigs, some of which have been extremely hot and sweaty.
I do always clean the strings down after each and every gig and give them a wipe over with Fast Fret.

No plans to change at the moment, one less thing to worry about :)

Hi Beams and especially Fat Beams are great, especially if you want a more flexible feeling string . I find DR Strings last pretty well , ( especially the nickel-wound Sunbeams ) , but as with any string , a lot depends on how much sweat and grease the player is leaving on them . I would also endorse BRX's recommendation of La Bella steels , too . La Bella are excellent quality strings all round , so you can't really go wrong with them . Also , if you can be bothered to find them on the internet and get them sent from the States , I can thoroughly recommend GHS Super Steels . They are very bright with a great overall tone , last well , and they are a balanced tension set that feels really good . They are reasonably priced , too . I would, however , make the overall point that expensive , slightly exotic strings like DR'S or La Bellas or whatever don't really end up sounding that much better in terms of the final sound coming out of your amp than strings that cost half the price in the U.K . Are two sets of Elites ( or something similar ) a better use of your money than one set of DR's ? I have spent a fortune experimenting with strings over the years , and I have yet to find the definitive brand that I can say " Eureka ! These are the ones !" . More and more , I am settling for some fairly ordinary ones and finding they do the job just as well .( I am also still occasionally buying rubbish ones that make me swear a lot and complain that I have just wasted another twenty -odd quid . )

Edited by Dingus

I was going to say that IME Elites were fairly average but then it occurred to me that a lot of pickiness in selecting strings has been to do with the fact that as a 5-string player getting a low B that works well with my rather aggressive playing style has been the over-riding factor in my evaluation of strings. Once you take that out of the equation, I'd be quite happy with the above-mention Elites. In fact I'm also of the opinion that if you play a 34" scale 4-string bass with standard gauges (40/45 to 95/105) you can't go far wrong with Rotosounds bought new (not ones that have been sat in the shop for months).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376836216' post='2179707']
I was going to say that IME Elites were fairly average but then it occurred to me that a lot of pickiness in selecting strings has been to do with the fact that as a 5-string player getting a low B that works well with my rather aggressive playing style has been the over-riding factor in my evaluation of strings. Once you take that out of the equation, I'd be quite happy with the above-mention Elites. In fact I'm also of the opinion that if you play a 34" scale 4-string bass with standard gauges (40/45 to 95/105) you can't go far wrong with Rotosounds bought new (not ones that have been sat in the shop for months).
[/quote]

I would add the proviso to anything I have said about strings that I have never owned a five string bass , so all my observations are based on the humble four string . That low B string thing is a whole different issue . Taperwound / contact core ? 125/ 130/135 ? These are a whole host of problems I have not yet had the dubious pleasure of having had to deal with .

Edited by Dingus

And what suits one bass may well not suit another. The La Bella Stainless steels have a taper wound low B at 128 gauge which is fantastic on the Gus. I stuck a set on my Yamaha and it simply didn't sound anywhere near as good. I have to say that I've been very impressed with the Warwick Red Label stainless steel strings that came with my Star Bass. No idea how well they would work on another bass though...

1st choice Sadowsky blue label stainless steels - they sound and feel great but are hard to get hold of and expensive
2nd choice Dean Markley Blue Steels - a great 2nd choice but again not widely available
(rotosound strings suck ass!! in my opinion i would rather not play at all than use them)

both seem to last well, but then i dont sweat much.

Edited by winterfire666

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376827235' post='2179511']
La Bella Stainless Steels.
[/quote]

Which also goes to show how subjective it is as I've used lots of La Bella and hated every set (and that's on everything from 4 to 6 string basses). :lol:

Rotos for me, and I've used a lot of different types over the past 30-odd years.

Of course it all depends what sound and feel you're looking for, how you play, what your bass and rig is like, the context etc; same as goes for every other bit of kit in fact.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376836216' post='2179707']
[/quote]

Ah, that's quite interesting. Fwiw, I play 34" 5ers, I like .040"-.125" gauge or thereabouts. I guess I play fairly lightly, even when using a pick although I do like to dig in a bit sometimes.

Edit: I don't really sweat at all!

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1376846611' post='2179878']
Ah, that's quite interesting. Fwiw, I play 34" 5ers, I like .040"-.125" gauge or thereabouts. I guess I play fairly lightly, even when using a pick although I do like to dig in a bit sometimes.
[/quote]

In that case you should probably ignore almost everything I've said in this thread. A normal 125 string would be flopping around like a dead fish the way I play.

Edited by BigRedX

Newtone Diamond series.

I've tried loads after becoming disatisfied with DR... havin g used them excusively since the early 90's...
I find Newtone not the most zingy out of th box... (and no matter what string I've tried that real zing goes very quickly...)
but they keep that sound for months so the dull-off is less noticeable.

Great to deal with as Mark N will custon order ..and seems good to his wood about using a decent steel to make the strings with.
Something I noticed was a bit too 'variable' in other products.

I am guessing here..... but if QC isn't your top goal, you might always be on the search for the best price for the steel
and that mightb bite back.

I have been used to cleaning my strings..but that got pretty hard to do of late...and I haven't got to the bottom of why that may be..??
but with my Newtone, that stay fresh and are £30 for a set of 5's made to my specs.. i.e tapered core on ALL 5 strings.
that cleaning them isn't something I really need to do.
The yearly buy is a max of 6 strings...for 2 basses. and I have 2 packs brought some time ago waiting to go on.

It is about time I ordered some more..but I just am noy giong through them as I used to...

I used to have a stock pile of strings by various makers but I will get rid of them soon as not neexded.

Small British Company with a nice ethic, IMO.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376844086' post='2179830']
And what suits one bass may well not suit another....
[/quote]

That's certainly true. So many variables.
I mix and match to suit, but have still only narrowed it down to "Elixirs work well on my Warwicks to my ears."
"DR Sunbeams are good on my jazz"
"Rotosound rounds are too variable to trust and die far too quickly"

Best steel rounds?
DR Fatbeams are good if you like a slightly scooped tone. Expensive, but last well.