Why become a member? ×

Bringing back gear from holidays

Damonjames

Hi all, not sure about this one but has anyone tried to bring back gear from the USA while on holidays/business?? Have a friend who travels regularly to the states, and was wondering if he brought a bass back for me would he get smashed on tax? I have heard if people taking a cheap crappy guitar out and bringing back a high end bit of gear but not sure if anyone here has done it recently?
Same applies to the smaller bits and pieces although I'm sure this would be more difficult to police. Cheers

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1376692484' post='2178238']

Don't think so.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm
[/quote]

You're right. Any applicable duty and VAT are due on all goods brought in to the country from outside the EU, whether they are new or not (I've bought a few second hand cameras from the US).

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1376694065' post='2178258']
You're right. Any applicable duty and VAT are due on all goods brought in to the country from outside the EU, whether they are new or not (I've bought a few second hand cameras from the US).
[/quote]
...and it's no good trying to tell them at customs that the 1960 stack knob Fiesta Red with matching headstock Jazz Bass you bought only cost $50 because they'll have that neck off and get an expert who will tell you what exactly what it's worth all within the time it takes to say tortoise shell pickguard. :)

The only time did that was bringing back a Line 6 Bass POD from the US. They weren't available in the UK at the time. I carried it in my hand luggage. I was very nervous going through security because goodness knows what it must have looked like on the scanner, but I walked onto the plane with it and no-one battered an eye lid. It was pre 9/11 and airport security was not the greatest at that time. Couldn't do that now!

The best hope is to split the neck and body and check it in with your luggage. The suitcase will be scanned but only checked retrospectively. There are also random checks but you would have to be really unlucky. Sniffer dogs aren't trained to find guitars lol. Travel Indurance should cover it incase the suitcase goes missing etc.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1376695851' post='2178283']

They are if they have certain substances on them. :)
[/quote]
Good point, if its secondhand please check thoroughly. If unsure about any found substances please send to me and I will conduct the necessary testing, ahem.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1376698510' post='2178307']
Take an old case over with you, bring it back with an instrument. I know quite a few people who've done this and had no issues at all :)
[/quote]
If you bring an instrument back into the country and are stopped by customs they will probably ask you for proof that you own the instrument and also proof of where you bought it.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1376699245' post='2178312']

If you bring an instrument back into the country and are stopped by customs they will probably ask you for proof that you own the instrument and also proof of where you bought it.
[/quote]

Bought it at car boot sale in oxford in '94 for twenty quid mate

What?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1376694690' post='2178268']
...and it's no good trying to tell them at customs that the 1960 stack knob Fiesta Red with matching headstock Jazz Bass you bought only cost $50 [/quote]

Huh? Whatever happened to printouts of No Reserve auctions incorporating knowledgeless product descriptions and lots of speling muistakes ... and one invited bidder only ... oh and the PayPal receipt to follow it? ;) :D

I also dislike how some bad people use a label printer to equip a bass with the production number and barcode of a bass that is sitting at home with its local shop receipt.
- Got a receipt for that?
- At home. Can scan it and send it to you within the hour, mate!

Yup, I [s]loves[/s] hates my label printer!
:D

Also, when bringing home your US bass, you're soooo not equipping it with the numbered neck plate of your UK one ...
That would be dishonest.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1376740921' post='2178546']
Huh? Whatever happened to printouts of No Reserve auctions incorporating knowledgeless product descriptions and lots of speling muistakes ... and one invited bidder only ... oh and the PayPal receipt to follow it? ;) :D

I also dislike how some bad people use a label printer to equip a bass with the production number and barcode of a bass that is sitting at home with its local shop receipt.
- Got a receipt for that?
- At home. Can scan it and send it to you within the hour, mate!

Yup, I [s]loves[/s] hates my label printer!
:D

Also, when bringing home your US bass, you're soooo not equipping it with the numbered neck plate of your UK one ...
That would be dishonest.

best,
bert
[/quote]
UK Customs have really upped their game in the last few years. Due to where i live i know a lot of people who work at Heathrow. If you came through customs with no receipt for your prized bass THEY will decide how much it's worth and may charge you the required taxes on that valuation. They have access to the price of all guitars and basses. I'm certainly not saying it's impossible to get one over on them but it's getting harder and anyone should make sure they have the money available to pay if you get caught.

I recently went over to the states and brought back several pedals and strings and stuff in my hold luggage. That was all fine.

I'm sure if you walk through the nothing to declare with your head held high, they're not going to stop you? I have a mate who travels frequently with his guitar and has never been asked to open the case for an inspection, let alone being accused that he bought it abroad.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1376755194' post='2178757']
What's the problem..? Surely one has only to declare one's overseas purchases to Customs, no..? Anything else would be dishonest, I should think. :mellow:
[/quote]

Perhaps this is where Howard Marks got it all wrong...:)