Why become a member? ×

What bass would serve best tonally as backup to acoustic guitar?

mashup

I'm an acoustic guitarist primarily & have been getting together a few recordings that at the moment are just acoustic guitar, keys & rhythm section loops. I'm looking for some opinions on what bass you guys think would best compliment the sounds I already have in the mix. I am looking at either a precision or a Jazz. What do you think would work best with what I've got & why that might be? I'm looking to borrow one or the other from a friend for this project, so just wanted a quick heads up before I ask him for whichever bass gets the most recommendations.

Cheers,

Edited by mashup

Personally, I'd go for a fretless P. The "woody" rich sound just seems to blend well with an acoustic guitar, but still cut through enough to make the bass part audible. Of course, not all acoustic guitars sound that same (and neither do all fretless Ps!), so maybe that doesn't narrow things down all that much after all! :D

Thanks for the reply......I can play a little bass but currently don't own one. The options between which to borrow from my friend are a Precision strung with flats or a Jazz strung with rounds. I can only borrow the 1 as he needs the other, but he is kindly giving me the choice between the 2. What do you think would be the best bet?

The answer to every bass question is a Precision strung with flats.

All joking aside, there'll be less antagonism between guitar and bass and less string noise with the P/flats than with a Jazz/rounds. Having said that, the only factor in your decision should be which sound you prefer, so try both

Chris

[quote name='mashup' timestamp='1376405487' post='2173461']
Thanks for the reply......I can play a little bass but currently don't own one. The options between which to borrow from my friend are a Precision strung with flats or a Jazz strung with rounds. I can only borrow the 1 as he needs the other, but he is kindly giving me the choice between the 2. What do you think would be the best bet?
[/quote]

Depends on what you want. If flexibility/versatility is your goal, then a J with rounds will just about be able to do a passable impression of a flat-strung P (by selecting the neck pickup and rolling off the tone), but there is no way that a P with flats will ever be able to sound anything like a J!

While a P bass is far from the "one-trick pony" that some make it out to be, it is not as versatile as a J due to the fact that is has only one pickup.

There are MANY threads on here discussing the relative merits of the two bass types.... and of course lots of people who would never recommend a Fender type bass of any sort!!

How long is a piece of string? ;)

At the risk of sounding boring, I'm going to suggest a P-bass as well. Has to be fretted in my case though, and mine is strung with rounds. But yeah, I've used my P copy for every acoustic-type project I've worked with. I can see the benefit to flats if you're taking a definite 'rhythm section' role; in my case I was usually swapping solos with the acoustic guitarists so the extra brightness of rounds worked better!

[quote name='mashup' timestamp='1376404937' post='2173452']
I'm an acoistic guitarist primarily & have been getting together a few recordings that at the moment are just acoustic guitar, [i][b]keys[/b][/i] & rhythm section loops.[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376407127' post='2173503']I'd start with keyboards and only look at bass guitars or double bass if it really isn't happening musically without them.[/quote]

Sounds like keys are already covered! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376420975' post='2173783']
Exactly so no immediate need for other instruments or musicians.
[/quote]

Unless he [i][b]wants[/b][/i] bass guitar on there... As he is asking for advice on a bass players forum, I guess that he does. :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376421707' post='2173808']
Unless he [i][b]wants[/b][/i] bass guitar on there... As he is asking for advice on a bass players forum, I guess that he does. :)
[/quote]

But in is post he's asking what sort of bass we think will fit.

As I said it's a bit difficult to tell without actually hearing the songs and the style of music the OP is going for, but if it was my project I'd see how it sounded with the keyboards (or even sequenced as part of the rhythm loops) doing the bass parts first before worrying about what sort of bass guitar to get. And that's spoken as someone who plays the bass on both bass guitar and keyboards.

[quote name='mashup' timestamp='1376404937' post='2173452']I am looking at either a precision or a Jazz. What do you think would work best with what I've got & why that might be?
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376422115' post='2173819']
But in is post he's asking what sort of bass we think will fit.
[/quote]

Yes, he uses the term "bass", which can, of course, include keyboard bass. But when he asks us to help him decide between a Jazz and a Precision; I think we can safely assume that by "bass" he means "bass guitar".

As many of us have already suggested, it is impossible to make a valid and absolute judgement with the limited amount of information we have.

But a P would be better. :lol:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1376486297' post='2174659']
More people have played fretted and non-acoustic so surely that's the real cliche.
[/quote]
Who cares?
I did qualify my original statement with "Personally...." and "but that's just me" - it wasn't a statement of absolute truth.