Why become a member? ×

What bass would serve best tonally as backup to acoustic guitar?

mashup

Bloody hell! Some people can turn anything into an argument!! :rolleyes:

The OP only offered us a choice of two - J or P!! Maybe it should have been posted as a poll? :)

Once he has decided on the P bass, he can then decide on the type of strings to install. Defretting it is probably not an option as he will be borrowing it from a mate.

Have some of you even [i]read[/i] the OP?? :P

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1376486462' post='2174668']
Who cares?
I did qualify my original statement with "Personally...." and "but that's just me" - it wasn't a statement of absolute truth.
[/quote]
I thought you cared as you brought it up but it's just a conversation ...

... and it's getting more and more difficult to actually have a conversation at Basschat.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1376487017' post='2174690']
... and it's getting more and more difficult to actually have a conversation at Basschat.
[/quote]
That's largely because people like you want to argue the toss about everything.

I'm out of here.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1376487017' post='2174690']... and it's getting more and more difficult to actually have a conversation at Basschat.
[/quote]

If you want to get involved in a conversation, it is usually regarded as bad form to be rude and confrontational. It comes across as argumentative.

Just sayin' :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1376506565' post='2175204']
To the punter, it doesn't make a difference whether it's a J or a P. I used to play in an acoustic trio with my Ibanez SR1000 strung with flats & even used effects, the punters only saw it as an acoustic band.
[/quote]

I once used a six string for a laugh. Don't think Low B got a look-in, but the high C did.
I think Joe Public just thought it was another guitar....
It had rounds on, too. Just rolled the treble off a bit.

I played in a predominantly acoustic guitar-led band for a while about twenty years ago , and I found an old Precision Bass was just about perfect . I used rounwounds with the tone all the way [u]on [/u], rather than rolled off , to exploit the big , grainy sound of that P pickup and the rich array of overtones it is capable of producing , and that sound sat beautifully both live and recorded . It's a mistake to think that just because you are playing with acoustic instruments that the bass neccesarilly has to have a boomy , soft , wooly sound . Maybe you wouldn't neccesarilly want to sound like Jean Jaques Burnel , but there is a happy medium to be struck . Ultimately , either a Precision or a Jazz will be fine , and then just experiment and see what sounds best .

Edited by Dingus