Why become a member? ×

Small, light and loud? The old chestnut again!

4-string-thing

There's a couple of small combo's in the for sale section that I'm keeping a eye on and was after some opinions. I've just been offered a role in the backing band for a folky singer/acoustic guitarist and I feel a new amp may be in order! It looks like I'll be playing a mixture of electric and double bass, so if I have to transport an upright, an electric and a rig, the rig is gonna have to b a lot smaller than my current stuff! So, just how good are these micro combo's with 5"or 6" drivers and is 100 or 150w loud enough for an acoustic (amplified) band? I've recently sold my house and got a new job, so money isn't really an object, but wouldn't want to spend any more than around £600.... Go on, recommend me an amp!

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1376230563' post='2171040']
I have used my Markbass CMD121P in both folk and jazz with no problems. I'd say go for something with at least 300 watts. 100/150w might find it hard going in an amplified setting.
[/quote]

Yup. I use mine in an 8 piece glam/punk band (albeit with another bassist in the band as well) and it`s fine. If I`m the only bassist then I bring along the 112 ext cab just to have more presence, but volume wise it`s easily able to do it on its own.

I've used a Markbass rig before and did like the sound, although it was a much bigger rig. I was thinking along the lines of the Phil Jones Briefcase or Markbass micro to be honest. I also like the idea of a promethean or clone. I've used the same rig for over 30 years, so don't actually know much about modern amps!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1376245323' post='2171266']
I've used a Markbass rig before and did like the sound, although it was a much bigger rig. I was thinking along the lines of the Phil Jones Briefcase or Markbass micro to be honest. I also like the idea of a promethean or clone. I've used the same rig for over 30 years, so don't actually know much about modern amps!
[/quote]

Maybe it's just me, but I think the whole "must have 500watts" thing is overstated, particularly for small pub gigs in a folky/acoustic band with a mature/decent drummer who knows how to control dynamics.

I've used a 120w Hartke kickback with a folk/rock group for gigs and it's fine - if the venue needs more I just DI into the PA and use it for a stage monitor.

I also gigged with a guy using one of those 10" Promethean combos, and I couldn't believe how loud it was - it filled a medium sized pub with a blues/rock band and occasionally loud drummer with no problems at all.

However as others have said, a 12" or 2x10" Mark Bass combo would probably be perfect if money's not a big object.

I've just bought a Genz Benz Contour 115 from bass direct. Down to £299 now and really impressed. Punchy as hell and even if you wind the bass up, it is so clear. Unbeatable bargain IMHO. Only criticism is you can't get the extention cabs over hear, which would make it a 500w rig.