Why become a member? ×

Slap bass pedal anyone?

NickTann

Hi, I have recently joined a band that require me today some slap. All is good except that I find that when I do, slap, I lose volume. I have fiddled wit the eq on my old Trace top which helps me out but I am off on tour in September and won't be using my own rig. I wonder if there is a pedal that I could stomp on when the slap begins? I have a Beringer per amp I could try but ...... Anyone?

I would start trying to know what's the reason, and whether you indeed lose volume or it is only a *perceived* lack of volume. If you only use your G string sparsely when fingering, maybe it indeed puts out less signal but you hadn't noticed, and you may need to adjust the action and/or the pickup(s) height on the treble end. If your amp is already compressing, fingered notes may be perceived as louder than strumming chords or slapping on the attack portion of the note. You may also try a heavier gauge on the G string. If all that fails, then an EQ pedal or transparent booster will help to transiently boost your signal. Compressors are generally trickier to set, may colour your tone and they are typically on most of the time. They will detract from your dynamics, so you should make sure what you really want is to even out all your playing, or just a temporary boost (e.g. if the slap is for a solo or a bridge). A boost however may drive an amp into clipping and create distortion, which can be distressing if you're playing through the house amp at each venue. So I would check that the bass is set up right first. Then maybe get both a compressor and an eq/booster, to be ready for a variety of situations?

I find that even when I play un-plugged, slapping is quieter than plucking and picking. Maybe there's some slap technique where you can get the strings to resonate in a comparable way? But for me a pedal or two is the answer. I like compression on slap as it gets rid of any nasty spikes (another hint at my appauling technique?). I happen to love the sound of distorted slap, so I use a dirt pedal to do the compression.

I think it's more to do with the nature of Slapped notes. If you listen to a fingered (ooer) note compared to a slapped note..... the fingered note generally has more body to it. It's more of a perceived drop in volume rather than a lack of volume. If you think about it, it's a similar note produced by that of a piano.... a hammered note which has a perception of having less body than a fingered note.

When I'm crossing from finger-style to slap I simply roll the highs off a bit using the control on the bass. That's what works for me. If you needed more control, an eq pedal would shape the particular slap tone you wanted. Like Crez5150 said, the drop in volume is more likely percieved due to the difference in the shape of the note played, and this can be remedied somewhat by eq'ing.

I would think a compressor (running continuously) to be essential also, in the interests of neatness.

Edited by Fionn