Why become a member? ×

So what makes a musician 'professional' ?

ML94

Hi guys

So lately I've been playing a lot of lines from Pino and this struck me. Let me play it within Pino's context and try and emulate what that session would've felt like. This then made me to think even more about, am I over playing, underplaying, are my note choices good, am I creating a groove that fits well and so on. Again, this led me onto finding backing tracks in genres I prefer, eg soul,funk and thought okay if I was in a session at this moment with guys that want me to lay down a bass part, what am I going to do ? Then we're back to my original am I playing too much, feel etc.

I guess what I'm asking here is when do you feel that the bassline that you have created for a 'session' is good enough or does the job. I know sometimes less is more but when you want to add more, how much are you likely to add ? Also, when do you know that your playing is maturing over a certain time ? (I don't know it sounds silly but that's how I would phrase it)

I would love to hear stories of guys doing work in studios and finding the right grooves etc

Edited by ML94

I think you've asked two different questions. The title of the thread: My first answer, like SuperClive would be to say that it is when you are earning a living from being a musician. I am lucky to be able to support my family doing such, ehich is a great feeling.

However, i think the question you asked in your text i would answer differently. One word. Experience.

i love Nathan East's 'moto' that I subscribe too as well- 'Attitude + Aptitude = Altitude'. Knowing your stuff and having the right attitude to apply it is the first place to start in my opinion. :)

I make a living playing music, and that often involves playing in a studio, often creating basslines for a song.
My view is to start with the absolute bare minimum when routining songs, literally just marking out the chords, then when the producer asks for a bit more it legitimises my input. I always put the song first before any 'lick' I might want to play so I figure, if it isn't adding it's detracting, so drop it... I will listen back to the routine takes and when we are tracking for real I have worked out what I'm going to do where... It's also something that you work out with the other players.

[quote name='superclive' timestamp='1376169237' post='2170550']
Someone that earns a living through playing music? Doesn't necessarily have to be any good just earns a living.
[/quote]

This.

Like any other job I guess, some better at it than others, some better at bullshyt than others, some quicker, some earn more, some only there cos of who they know etc.

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1376176536' post='2170623']
...when we are tracking for real I have worked out what I'm going to do where... It's also something that you work out with the other players.
[/quote]

That's the key, isn't it? You have to play what's best at that time, with those people, and do what's best for that particular song in that particular genre. It's tempting to show off your chops - but if they're not appropriate then you don't do them. You have to be flexible.

[quote name='superclive' timestamp='1376169237' post='2170550']
Someone that earns a living through playing music? Doesn't necessarily have to be any good just earns a living.
[/quote]

In pure terms of professional, the first sentence.

However a good thing to remember which supports the last sentence is that professionals built The Titanic, amateurs built The Ark.

I usually write and record my lines at home rather than in the studio. I get sent rough mixes with no bass obviously. I usually play it in headphones quite loud and sometimes dance a bit if it's a groovy kinda beat. In my head I'm singing along to it and often out of that a bass line will emerge, I repeat the process and I'm looking for drum and vocal stuff that I can augment or accent, and also thinking about the same for the chords in terms of some cool harmony opportunities that don't sound twee or tacky.

Another way is just playing along to the music but more like a guitarist, lots of notes and rhythmic patterns and accents, just having a laugh. After a while I'll start repeating the things I like and chisel away until the bass line essence is sculpted.

We decided to do a cover in the rehearsal the other week, a weird version of Megalomaniac by Incubus. Straightaway hearing her arrangement I knew it needed texture rather than a bass line. I made a patch on the POD with high compression, flanger and loads of quick bright plate reverb and delay. I swelled the volume pedal into root octaves on the three chords, then changed the root to the fourth, and on the last pattern I hit a minor 11th (I think :)) on the last chord and it all sounded glorious, bandleader loved it. Wrote it on pure instinct on the spot and I love it. That doesn't happen often.

I think if you have some confidence, and play what you get off on, that's a good start, but I'd advocate being as versatile as possible so you can take direction from the producer or artist quickly and easily.

EDIT: I'm not a pro but I play for some pro artists.

Edited by xilddx

Anyone ever been asked to record a bass line and you sit there not trying to linger away from the root! I'll play the same song in my practice and it'll sound so good but when you hit record its like my fingers just want to stick at the root and the occasional chord tone!

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1376176536' post='2170623']
I make a living playing music, and that often involves playing in a studio, often creating basslines for a song.
My view is to start with the absolute bare minimum when routining songs, literally just marking out the chords, then when the producer asks for a bit more it legitimises my input. I always put the song first before any 'lick' I might want to play so I figure, if it isn't adding it's detracting, so drop it... I will listen back to the routine takes and when we are tracking for real I have worked out what I'm going to do where... It's also something that you work out with the other players.
[/quote]

Absolutely nailed it for me.

At the amateur originals level I'm at more often than not I'm expected to instantly produce a whizzy bass line on one listen to the song (i.e whoever wrote it will say it goes like this, now play the bass line). Amateur in both senses :)

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1376203696' post='2170696']
Anyone ever been asked to record a bass line and you sit there not trying to linger away from the root! I'll play the same song in my practice and it'll sound so good but when you hit record its like my fingers just want to stick at the root and the occasional chord tone!
[/quote]
Sounds about right. There is no answer to such an expansive question. Not all cops are good cops, not all priests are good priests. Being a professional and professionalism are very different things. Some of the best musicians I know are the most unprofessional people in the world, some of the more average players I know in the business compensate by being extremely professional. They are all still professional players however the characteristics that define them as such vary greatly. In terms of basslines etc you've either got it or you haven't. That's art, creativity, knowing when's enough. Less is more etc. that comes with experience. All professional bass players would be expected to have the ability to play any bassline but creating them is a whole other ball game. The guitarist and the vocalist are usually the source of creativity in a lot of bands. They will dictate to the others what they envision for a song etc and the band usually settles somewhere in the middle based on ability and willingness to cooperate and professionalism. That's my experience. Others individuals situations may be very different but that would be normal around here. Good luck mate. Don't think too much about it, it will happen if its meant to.

I think if you read a lot of interviews with session musicians they all come up with pretty much the same answers.

They play something that fits. The artist either likes it or asks for them to play something differently. The key is that you are able to interpret what the artist wants.

Then they leave the studio and hear the finished article later and think 'oh, I should have played this...'

The main issue is often they're only given guide vocals and/or rhythm so the option of dissecting a tune based on whole arrangements isn't there.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1376255597' post='2171480']
I think if you read a lot of interviews with session musicians they all come up with pretty much the same answers.

They play something that fits. The artist either likes it or asks for them to play something differently. The key is that you are able to interpret what the artist wants.

Then they leave the studio and hear the finished article later and think 'oh, I should have played this...'

The main issue is often they're only given guide vocals and/or rhythm so the option of dissecting a tune based on whole arrangements isn't there.
[/quote]

The point at which the bass track goes down really has an impact. If you record with just guitar and drums you might want to fill out a bit whereas with a lot more going on you might be more inclined to keep it simple.

I think you know when it is a great part... but sometimes/often, it isn't your call.

You just need to walk out of there knowing they will call you again and there should be enough indictaors that the session was good
and that could happen by the time you leave.

Being easy to work with and quick is not to be overlooked either