Why become a member? ×

Rush - Vapor Trails remix

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375464069' post='2161883']
You do that. I'll get the new one because it'll be better.
[/quote]
Will it? I'm perfectly happy with the original version....if you choose to buy it then good luck with that. I am sure Geddy et al will be touched by your loyalty.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375465730' post='2161918']

Will it? I'm perfectly happy with the original version....if you choose to buy it then good luck with that. I am sure Geddy et al will be touched by your loyalty.
[/quote]

Yes, it will (IMO, of course). See my earlier posts about the previously-released remixes..

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375465932' post='2161923']
Yes, it will (IMO, of course). See my earlier posts about the previously-released remixes..
[/quote]
Yes I did see the posts.

Honestly, I am glad that you enjoy the updated material.... it's just not for me.

I remember when Rush used to sing about integrity. This is a release to raise yet more capital.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375466266' post='2161925']
Yes I did see the posts.

Honestly, I am glad that you enjoy the updated material.... it's just not for me.

I remember when Rush used to sing about integrity. This is a release to raise yet more capital.
[/quote]

I don't follow..? The fans have been crying out for a remix since it was released.

Yeah, they should give it away free to everyone who bought it originally, but after ten years that was never going to happen.

I'm not a fanboi either. I didn't go to the CA tour because the tickets were too expensive and I think they've lost the plot a little bit.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375466266' post='2161925']
This is a release to raise yet more capital.
[/quote]

No it's not, it's a response to countless numbers of fans who think the original version of the album sounded terrible.
How does" integrity" come into it anyway; are they meant to give away everything they do for nothing? Do you work for free?

Nobody is being forced to buy it. Plenty of people, myself included, who think "Vapour Trails" was a great collection of songs ruined by terrible mixing/mastering/whatever will now be able to buy a sonically superior copy should they so choose.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1375466788' post='2161934']
No it's not, it's a response to countless numbers of fans who think the original version of the album sounded terrible.
How does" integrity" come into it anyway; are they meant to give away everything they do for nothing? Do you work for free?

Nobody is being forced to buy it. Plenty of people, myself included, who think "Vapour Trails" was a great collection of songs ruined by terrible mixing/mastering/whatever will now be able to buy a sonically superior copy should they so choose.
[/quote]
I like the original so wont buy it. The original was a true reflection of where Rush were at that point in time..a very important place given Neil's tragedies - so why revisit it?

I'm not a fan of generic statements like "Countless fans have been crying out for it".....but that's just my perception. I am not crying out for it.

Honestly guys...buy it, love it, cherish it.....good luck.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375461564' post='2161820']
Without wishing to be cynical this could be more of a commercial venture than an artistic one.
[/quote]

IIRC they have stated their unhappiness with the released version and intention to remix and re-release almost since day 1. Glad it's happening although I was happy with version 1 but I shall probably buy version 2 being a Rush completist :)

Most Rush fans have always been unhappy with the sound of this album. It was compressed to pain inducing levels and mastered so hot that most of the transients disappeared. It was so bad that I did my own clipping restoration process on it before I copied it into iTunes for portable listening, which helped a little (but not a lot). Alex Lifeson apparently approved the original mix after listening to it in his car. The band have said afterwards that it didn't sound right and the whole thing was remixed quite some time ago. Good to see it finally coming out.

I agree that it would be ideal if I could hand in my old one for a swap, but we all know something like that will never happen. Despite what the marketing guys have told us, many albums have been lousily mastered or remastered for CD (unfortunately).

• 1 month later...

Yep I'm one of the people who was a bit disappointed with the original mix and on hearing the new versions thought they had more definition and clarity. Finally I can hear Ged's bass and sharp clear percussion. No more muddy bass drones.

Surely if the band want to remix it and people have the choice as to whether or not its worth buying then why not.

Dave