Why become a member? ×

RAF base gig and being told what to wear

markbunney

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1374683798' post='2151840']

Secondly, we have been told that there is a dress code for people attending the event, including the band. They want chinos for men and cocktail dresses for women. This has annoyed me somewat as we are a hard rock covers band and are going to end up looking like Michael Buble's backing band :(
[/quote]

Perfectly reasonable request. Dress appropriately to the function your working at then put your stage clothes(ripped jeans, leather etc) on for your performance. Done loads, they are great gigs and if you play ball and act pro you will be very well looked after.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions.
Me and the band are very much looking forward to it (which perhaps didnt come across in my original post), as its taken us 10 years to break into something like this and will be a nice change from pubs.
Ill let you all know how it goes in a couple of weeks and maybe post a picture of the final outfits.

Im off to M&S to purchase some slacks! :)

Play by their rules and take the money and run. It's business and if that's what the customer wants then that's what they get. I've played RAF bases in the past and they've been great gigs, I've always worked on the principle that I'm not The Stones or The Who so I'm supplying what they want and so long as I get paid what does it matter?

Steve

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1374703122' post='2152291']
You can buy black chinos-and they don't specify any requirements for other items of clothing, do they?
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Black chinos, black shirt, black shoes/boots, not too much of an issue. Unless they`ve stipulated the colour of said chinos?

All this reminds me of something in John Lydons book - he turned up at college and was sent home for not wearing a tie. next day he turned up wearing a tie and was sent home for not wearing a shirt. Make your mind up was his response.

Just wear the chinos!

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1374701689' post='2152257']
Thanks for all the responses and opinions.
Me and the band are very much looking forward to it (which perhaps didnt come across in my original post), as its taken us 10 years to break into something like this and will be a nice change from pubs.
Ill let you all know how it goes in a couple of weeks and maybe post a picture of the final outfits.

Im off to M&S to purchase some slacks! :)
[/quote]

We will, of course need photographic evidence of the whole band so we can [s]have a laugh [/s]give our approval :rolleyes:

Played lots of RAF,Army and Navy bases in the nineties ...here and in Germany...they can be great fun ....an Hawian beach party complete with sandy beach dance floor at Padeborn in DECEMBER springs to mind ...but hard work and yes you have to go by their rules .

Not all bases have dress codes ...we found Sergeant mess gigs by far the worst for that sort of thing...including making you stay in a room the size of a broom cupboard except for when you are on stage,serving only crap sandwiches and warm cans of lager....

Officers mess...usually a real blast and great food and drink...

other ranks fabulous audience great food and drink...and lots of help loading and unloading the van .....another gig at Padeborne:- a squaddie offered to let all five of us sleep on his bedroom floor as there was a cock up with hotels(surprise!!) It was TINY...we thanked him but stayed in the van untill early morning then made the Hotel manager let us into our pre paid rooms to have a short kip before moving on to the next town.

Cautionary note........

We always went through an agent ....we were offered good money ..we thoughtt so at the time anyway ...£1000-£1500 per gig plus expenses but we found out after a year or two that the agent was charging £2500+ per gig and taking his cut out of our money too....He lost a lot of business when the guy that paid us at one gig found out he was being overcharged ....

unfortunately so did we as he couldn't get back on the circuit ;-(

Good luck and ENJOY!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1374687580' post='2151929']
Maybe wear what they what they want you to wear, then wear your stage clober for your set, then get changed back into the "required" wear...?
[/quote]
Why would they? Surely they won't be mingling but back stage in the dressing room complaining about the insufficient rider and the poor quality of the wraf groupies.

Well, after some negotiation we've settled on black jeans and tshirts (much better!)

However the compromise has come with us having to wear hawaian flower garlands! Apparantly the theme of the evening is "a cruise around the world".

Should be a good gig and am looking forward to it.

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1374683798' post='2151840']
They want chinos for men and cocktail dresses for women. We are a hard rock covers band and are going to end up looking like Michael Buble's backing band :(
[/quote]
How about dressing up like a hard rock covers band forced to wear chinos against its will? Rip those chinos at the knees, put studs and different coloured patches on etc. Charge the client for the cost of chinos.

Got asked to supply a PA and do a few support numbers for friends band at Rosyth Naval base Officers Club once in early 90's.
We were long haired jeans and T's but decided for a laugh we would wear suits just before going on. Our mates were stunned to say the least and they went on with jeans etc.
We got asked back and they didn't so it worked for us but it was all tongue in cheek.
We didn't actually go back. Too much hassle getting in and out for us.

It may be they want you to dress accordingly while not on stage but dress as you would normally when playing. ???

Dave