Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keeping Your Cab In A Garage, Bad Idea?

Rumple

yes i agree with japanAxe.....you dont want stuart little crawling up your port hole...and remember! if he can get his head through the
rest follows!!....tell the wife(if there is one) to shut her cakehole as gear is more important than a tidy house

Amen

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1374487210' post='2149156']
I kept my original amp out in the garage for years with no problem - it electrocuted the guy I sold it too but certainly no problem for me! :ph34r:
[/quote]

So, he's dead then? ;)

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1376335890' post='2172436']
yes i agree with japanAxe.....you dont want stuart little crawling up your port hole...and remember! if he can get his head through the
rest follows!!....tell the wife(if there is one) to shut her cakehole as gear is more important than a tidy house

Amen
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1376382462' post='2172963']
I ask this out of curiosity, not to make any kind of point, but car stereos live happily in cars, subject to enormous temperature swings etc without blowing up - why would they be any different?
[/quote]

The conditions encountered in a car are part of the design brief, so the manufacturers are, from the start, bearing that in mind from conception (with more or less success...). Instrument cabs are not usually designed for use or storage in a hostile environment (pubs/clubs excepted, of course..!), and can suffer if the conditions are too far from those anticipated.
Some speaker systems are designed for use in swimming pools. That's not a reason for storing cabs in a pond. Horses for course, and all that..? :mellow:

Eughoo!

Nooop, i have to say I wouldn't dare leave my cabs in a shed or garage unless the building were adequately insulated from the elements. Damp can get in to the wood and paper cones of speakers over time (especially cheaper ones that may be less 'protected' from the effects of weather).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1376384530' post='2172989']
Some speaker systems are designed for use in swimming pools. That's not a reason for storing cabs in a pond. :mellow:
[/quote]

Quote of the year! :D B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1374575991' post='2150254']
My speakers live in the garage-I keep my amps indoors, but the speakers (with covers) have been fine thus far (touch wood).
[/quote]

If you can touch wood then the garage environment has not been kind to the carpet/tolex on your cabs.

I know that the OP has decided against the garage for storage. My useful two cents is that a lot of self storage places have rooms that are not much bigger than an 8x10. Rates on these are (in my experience) far cheaper than renting a garage somewhere.

I kept my original amp out in the garage for years with no problem - it electrocuted the guy I sold it too but certainly no problem for me! :ph34r:
[/quote]
That made me laugh out loud :D

These days my cab is flightcased and I throw a table cloth over it so it acts as a side table when not in use
[/quote]
I do the same, the wife loves it... actually she just about about abides it, but it's not going in the garage at any rate!!

I have stored all my amps and cabs in my garage since 1979 with no apparent problems. I have always used covers, and in the last few years I have raised them off the floor a couple of inches.
I also store things like electrical tools and a lawnmower and a strimmer again with no apparent problems.