Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 v MS60B

Kevin Dean

Sure, if you like synthie stuff and flat sounding chorus etc. the digital toys are the way to go. I still have to hear the first big muff/Ampeg classic/Accoustic 360/Procon RAT/etc/etc modelling that sounds anything like the real thing though. They simply all sound completely crap.

I strongly get the feeling though a lot of these "happy zoom owners" have never heard a full scale bass rig in their lives that's all. Plug a zoom ms60-b in between your seventies P bass and such a rig and you will know what I mean. It totally destroys any tone you had. So yeah I wouldn't believe anything I read from the reviews you can read on forums. Youtube can be a nice source but sadly most of these newbies don't bother recording a decent audio signal when making their video reviews and will make any gear sound like crap.

My advice: Go to a good guitar shop, bring your own bass with you and try out these pedals for yourself. Online info is nice but only on specific questions that can be answered with facts rather then opinions.

I do realize that by saying these things you also don't have to believe a single word I said. :D

Edited by DiMarco

Arrogant? Patronising? LOL! Guess the truth hurts some. I bet you own one of these Zoom pedals? I did since some players on forum told me it sounds good, sold it after two weeks because it is one of the worst sounding pedals in the history of pedals.

These days any person can publish stuff on the internet and a lot of them do not know what they're talking about that's all I'm saying.
Someone telling you a Zoom B3 or MS60-B sound good is either a liar, sales person (thus a liar) or someone who never heard good bass tone in their life.

A Zoom B3 and Zoom MS60-B are above all CHEAP pedals that will do well with your bedroom practice amp if that's all you want... Well that is very nice but some of us are actually looking for something that can be used in real live situations or for recording.

Do not expect miracles from those pedals. They will not deliver good tone.

I just got a 60B for Christmas, and have owned a B3 for a while (and have some good comments at gigs so at least one post in this thread is way off the mark and complete nonsense).

The one thing that really stuck me was how more usable the default presets are. All those synth/ over drive patches in the B3 never interested me at all, but the ones in the 60B seem almost useable. I guess with the B3 there were a lot of fillers, due to having all those slots to fill.

Of course that's just the presets and no real indication of how the two units really compare but it's a good start. Tone wise I hear no difference on headphones through my PC.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1388059087' post='2318137']
I just got a 60B for Christmas, and have owned a B3 for a while (and have some good comments at gigs so at least one post in this thread is way off the mark and complete nonsense).
[/quote]

No it isn't.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1387635635' post='2314027']
Arrogant? Patronising? LOL! Guess the truth hurts some. I bet you own one of these Zoom pedals? I did since some players on forum told me it sounds good, sold it after two weeks because it is one of the worst sounding pedals in the history of pedals.

These days any person can publish stuff on the internet and a lot of them do not know what they're talking about that's all I'm saying.
Someone telling you a Zoom B3 or MS60-B sound good is either a liar, sales person (thus a liar) or someone who never heard good bass tone in their life.

A Zoom B3 and Zoom MS60-B are above all CHEAP pedals that will do well with your bedroom practice amp if that's all you want... Well that is very nice but some of us are actually looking for something that can be used in real live situations or for recording.

Do not expect miracles from those pedals. They will not deliver good tone.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what to think of this.
Is it based on fact or spite ?
Considering the audience there's possibly a few hundred people just got called a liar for liking the sound of a zoom B3.

Having used my B3 at a gig last Friday, through my Markbass combo with all eq set flat, a local bassist came up to me and was raving about how good Markbass amps are and how good my sound was. Yes the sound was coming through the Markbass speakers, but all of the eq, drive and compression were B3 generated. I`ll stand by my opinion, the B3 works for me - and the local bassist too it would seem.

I must admit I wouldn't really like to use mine through a large PA, I do hear a few artifacts and a bit of noise, so in that respect I do agree it's not a top grade professional unit ( and the guys over on TB in the B3 thread seem to confirm that), BUT, for me, through my rig it produces a tone I've had compliments about, and I do find it does the job well enough to be more than usable at any of my gigs.
I dont use the amp sims, and would never want a 70s or vintage tone, I really can't stand that tone, so my needs aren't great, and I'm not a purist in the tone dept.

Each to his own I guess.

• 1 year later...

most of the players that gripe about the quality of the multi effect units have paid a fortune for their various individual pedals and cant bring themselves to admit that
sometimes a multi effect unit can sound as good and sometimes better for a lot cheaper.

It's like they have to justify the expenditure by putting down the multi fx untits which are coming down in price and size at an amazing rate.

Lets face it, technology is racing along, and some fuddy-duddies will still insist on a clockwork alarm to get them up in the morning :gas:

Edited by Shonks