Why become a member? ×

cab advice...what to go for, a 12 or a 210...for now

Thunderpaws

Hello fellow bassers, have decided to take the plunge on a terror bass, had thought about an ashdown abm, but think the orange will suit my space, weight, sound requirements better.

Question on cabs. This would be for home and recording until I move house, the rehearsal rooms (paul's halls) are well kitted out.

Would a decent 12 be better than a 210 for now. In either case would add another unit later. Would an eventual pair of 12's, maybe GK Neo, be a fuller, rounder sounding option than a pair of 210's? Cost is an issue on cabs as I have blown my meagre budget with the head.

G

Well it will depend on brand, but a 210 has more speaker area than a 112, so in terms of size of sound, the 210 should have a bit more to it. Always difficult, unless comparing the same brand and range when looking at this. For me, in one of my bands, my 112 combo is plenty, whereas in the other I need the matching 112 extension cab. So it also depends on the music as well. I`ve found that two 112s are plenty enough for my needs, and being quite small and light, very convenient too.

Thanks for chipping in Lozzi.

I have noticed that in general the 210 cabs seem to be rated a few watts higher per cab, like 400 vs 300 for the 12. However, o am moving down from a 15 inch combo, and although it was only 100 it seemed to shift air well and I liked the fullness, room filling properties. Hence I thought a 12 might suit. I am sure having 2 twelves in the future should be ok, at 600 odd watts it would take the power of the head easy.

Then again, 4 tens would make more area than 2 twelves. Damn it. I will definitely tour the stores with my head to see what I think is best, but it's hard even still to know if the choice will cut through 3 guitars and a drummer.

Well depending on what you need from the bass in the band, my 112 combo I use in a band with drums, 2 basses, 2 (and sometimes 3) guitars, keyboards, and 2 vocals. It`s fine on own in this as I need a more melodic old-school sound, rather than filling out the low-end with a solid wall of bass.

Two 112s I reckon are enough for most players needs - as oppose to wants. I always reckoned I needed a minimum of a 410, and would often have a 410 and a 210, or a 412, until my back got so bad I realised I had to buy to what I could carry. I then found out that for the gigs I do, two 112s was plenty.

I had 2 112 cabs and 2 210 cabs.

Over time I found that I was preferring the 12's and eventually sold the 210's.

They were all Bergantino, the 210's sounded fantastic and I miss them, but the 12's work as well to my ear and I can use 1, 2 or 3 (with my 2 ohm amp) and cover all situations with one sound.

I'd start with 1 112 and add another later. I'd also look at other amps. You can do better than a Terror.

I would go for the 210 purely because I know I prefer the sound of multiple speakers than singles. I'm gassing for the Orange Isobaric 2x10 right now! Might not necessarily get the volume of a traditional 2x10 but I'll get the tone I'm after.

For what it's worth, I don't think speaker sizes have characteristic sounds. You can get really inarticulate 10's and really bright 15's these days. I think it'd be wrong to assume you'd get a rounder smoother sound out of a single 12 compared to a 2x10 cab. If you need volume and spread right now, then you'd be better off with a 2x10/2x12.

Truckstop

Thanks for the feedback so far. So, I should get a 112 or a 210 to start with. Damn, back to the start. It's amazing that we all have different opinions. I think it all boils down to, get out and try some! Shame there aren't too many shops supporting a wide range of cabs in Scotland, even though we have a good share of shops. I don't think there is a GK dealer here.

What heads should I be considering chris_b? I would love to try a GK Fusion or a genz streamliner but can't find any up here.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1374441536' post='2148866']
....What heads should I be considering chris_b? I would love to try a GK Fusion or a genz streamliner but can't find any up here....
[/quote]

Those GK and Genz heads are good sounding amps and are rated by many, but my personal choices would be either an Aguilar TH500 or Littlemark LM3.

Are there any jam nights near you, where you can hear other players and talk gear with them?

I don't think there's anywhere in Scotland that stock GK. best options there would be to either find a local member on here that has GK (I believe there's a couple) & see if they'll let you try or order from somewhere that will let you return it if you don't like (Thomann?).

Kennys Music stock MarkBass & Guitar Guitar stock Aguilar, so worth giving them both a try.

I've got a MarkBass 2x10 combo & very happy with it, but I think I would have been equally as happy with the MB 112 or 115. As long as it has enough volume to cope (which the 210 has).

Whatever you choose, if you're adding a 2nd cab, get another the same.

Have fun. :)

Here's my two pennyworth. I think you've asked the wrong question. The size of the speakers is one of the least important factors, how they sound and how that compares with the sound you like is much more important.

Speaker area isn't insignificant in the design process but there are compromises all the way like cone design and magnet size that equally affect the final sound, not to mention cabinet design. It's a bit like deciding your dream car must have 6 cylinders without looking at handling, power output, weight etc.

What you need to do is to set priorities and more importantly start auditioning cabs. it looks like you are looking for something portable/compact and maybe lightweight. but you are also liking the 'room filling' sound of your old 1x15, which I guess had a fairly traditional 'warm' sound. you might well find a 2x10 that gives you that but you might also find a modern compact 15 that does the job just as well in the same sized box. !2's might do it as well of course.

I realise that this isn't helping you narrow anything down at all, your problem is probably too much choice but go and listen to some bands and see what people are using that sound the way you want to go. Plan a couple of trips to the bigger stores and try out a few cabs and home in on the sound you like.

Will have to get over to Kenny's music for a look. Went to Guitarguitar to try stuff out. They don't have any Aguilar stuff in (heads) and wont until August, however the only tonehammer head they will be getting is going to their Newcastle store. Might be worth a trip down there and try soundslive for GK too. Tried an Ashdown ABM EVO iii at Guitarguitar and love the tone/sound but there seems to be a lot on the web about reliability and volume issues. Also heard a GK rb700 on the web, like the sound of that. Though it is totally different.

Cab wise, think I am heading towards a 210.

Aaaaaarg.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1374486707' post='2149148']Speaker area isn't insignificant in the design process but there are compromises all the way like cone design and magnet size that equally affect the final sound, not to mention cabinet design. It's a bit like deciding your dream car must have 6 cylinders without looking at handling, power output, weight etc.[/quote]

That's a good way of putting it. What you need is a cab that is loud enough for your situations with the amp you own, suits your tonal preferences (again with the amp you own), and fits your lifestyle (in your car, in your house, light enough for you to lift) and your budget. Whether it's a 2x10", 1x12", 1x15", 2x12", etc is immaterial.

One of the best ways to choose gear is to do so by comparing it to gear you're already used to using - so whatever you use in those rehearsal rooms.

Regarding the Terror Bass, it's very much a one trick pony. It's a good trick, and hopefully one that you like! It will be more fussy about cabs, not in terms of output because it's a loud head but in terms of tone, as it tends towards the boomier, muddier, woollier, dirtier end of the tonal spectrum. I'd try your head with all the rehearsal room gear before you buy anything. Bear in mind that a sound you like in a shop may not work well in your band - find out what works in your band, try to remember that as well as possible and try to replicate it in the shop. You still won't know if the cab will sound the same at rehearsal loudness as it does in the shop (basically it won't unless it's a very expensive small cab or a rather large cab) but at least you'll be some of the way there.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. Very helpful advice.

The trouble with the rehearsal room cabs (there are 5 rooms all with different gear ranging from ashdown to trace Elliot to behringer) is that a lot if them have been through the wringer, are old, or both. It'll be a good starting point though.

I will keep this thread updated with what happens in the next couple of weeks. There must be a lot of bassers in the same/similar situation.

I am most used to playing through my old 15 Ampeg, so it's all going to be in relation to that. Obviously, building up more knowledge as I go.

Thanks again

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1374400660' post='2148286']
I would go for the 210 purely because I know I prefer the sound of multiple speakers than singles ... I think it'd be wrong to assume you'd get a rounder smoother sound out of a single 12 compared to a 2x10 cab. If you need volume and spread right now, then you'd be better off with a 2x10/2x12.

Truckstop
[/quote]

I'd second this. My 2x10 is a Schroeder, my previous was a Schroeder 1x12. I loved the 12, but the difference in sound with the 2x10 is tremendous; the 2x10 is fuller, deeper. Is it the increased area of speaker? Don't know, but there is a great difference, not really in volume or in punch but in quality.

W.

[u]I,ve got a terror[/u] and sp212 cab.
Terror head is loud
I like the cab as well and tried other cabs with the terror head and other heads with the cab.
Have a look at guitar interactive,there,s an older issue with a video review of the head and cab.
It was the older one with the on/off gain and red hot DI.
It,s now been fixed as I,ve got one.
You,ll hear how it sounds,didn,t sound muddy to me and doesn,t sound muddy live either when I,m playing it.
It doesn,t cut through but bulldozes through with big volume and plenty of headroom.
Remember the terror will bung out 500 watt at 4 and 8 ohm if your ears can handle it.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1374767848' post='2152994']
[u]I,ve got a terror[/u] and sp212 cab.
Terror head is loud
I like the cab as well and tried other cabs with the terror head and other heads with the cab.
Have a look at guitar interactive,there,s an older issue with a video review of the head and cab.
It was the older one with the on/off gain and red hot DI.
It,s now been fixed as I,ve got one.
You,ll hear how it sounds,didn,t sound muddy to me and doesn,t sound muddy live either when I,m playing it.
It doesn,t cut through but bulldozes through with big volume and plenty of headroom.
Remember the terror will bung out 500 watt at 4 and 8 ohm if your ears can handle it.
[/quote]

Hello bassmachine2112, (hats of to Rush ;-))

I am now pretty much stuck between a Terror Bass and a Little Mark iii. I know they sound a bit different, but I am the kind of person who likes Porches AND Ferrari's. As long as the head I get cuts through and I can deal with the tone. I played the Little Mark with the gain cranked a bit and the mid boost filter up and liked what I heard. I loved the sound of the Terror Bass but was worried about the DI issues (mostly for recording) and the loud fan (again for low level stuff in the home studio). Have you experience recording with the Terror?

To give you an idea of the stuff we are playing, here is one of our soundcloud roughs with me straight into the desk from my bass.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/guitarmaggedon/swansongs-v2-0"]https://soundcloud.com/guitarmaggedon/swansongs-v2-0[/url]

Head to head between a Bass Terror and a Little Mark iii today. Orange wins. The tone is what I want. The eq, though not changing things hugely was ample enough to get the job done whilst retaining the tonal character of the amp. I am sure this is what Orange were aiming for. I don't generally dig very scooped sounds, but I have to say the scoop on this is sweeet. I will also have change in my pocket to buy a mic suitable for recording bass guitar.