Why become a member? ×

Cabs 210 / 212 / 112 - light weight, portable, Powerful and Quality!

JamesFlashG

I am currently looking to downgrade my rig from a 410 to Some thing that falls in the subject category. I have about £800 to spend. Currently looking at Barefaced Bass cabinets as they seem to pack a punch for their size and weight and have nothing but good reviews for sound quality. I am basically looking for any other suggestions that people have so I can look into them and make a decision :). Another cab I have been quite interested in is a Bergantino CN112 / 212. how do these compare to the barefaced bass cabs has anybody here owned both and can compare?

I am going to be living in London soon with out a car so light weight and portability is essential! :)

400-500watts @ 8ohms. 700-800 @ 4ohms. :yarr:

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374057918' post='2144713']
thanks yeah i will contact them see if i can try some of their gear out looks promising.
[/quote]

I've got the PCB112 stack. Awesome sounds!

[URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/spongebob_sqaurepants/media/D90607BC-5C9B-4FA8-9E30-676AD9FCD7AA-319-000000C5B88FC419.jpg.html][IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/D90607BC-5C9B-4FA8-9E30-676AD9FCD7AA-319-000000C5B88FC419.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by sk8

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1374058575' post='2144725']
Berg CN112x2 or 212 would get my attention.
[/quote]

Yes!! Cn112 x2 was what i was originally looking at its just the price starts to get quite high and if i only got one cn112 I have a feeling I will struggle with volume at gigs.

I use 2xAE112 at times and I pair that with a 550w amp.
I assume the CN212 will be on the same par or better

I am a light player so loads of people would get more out of it than me..but it will do
a decent size stage for volume over a VERY loud drummer, plus gtr and keys.

I think 500 into 4ohm load would cover the same sort of gig as a 410 in terms of volume and fill
and certainly more than a 15"

A single 112..?? NO..!! the 212 would be cheaper than Berg 2x112..??

Not sure how you'll get 2x112 or a 212 about though without a car...however light they are..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374067682' post='2144910']
I did a direct comparison with a pair of purple chilli 1x12 to my genz 2x12T , the drop in volume and clarity when I used the purple ones was epic, the owner put them for sale on this site the day after ;)
[/quote]

interesting as i've owned both and found the chili's as good if not better. I do have the Specials though with the added bass trap

horses for courses

Edited by sk8

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374071701' post='2144978']
I'm not sure what the exact models were but same room, same head, same bass and the difference was massive, it still remains the highest I have needed to put the output on my shuttle six and it was a tiny room. I thought maybe a 2x12 might be better than two 1x12s but the experts here say not.
[/quote]

Very interesting as i get massive volume out of mine. even with my TC BH250. Always felt my shuttle 6.0 was light on watts IMO

I've managed to fill an auditorium with one cab and a promethean head at mofat

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1374074489' post='2145018']
[/quote]

+1 on this, I heard sk8 play through that set up and then did the same myself, single 1x12 cab, the head wasn't cranked by any means and it kept up easily with a loud valve guitar combo a loud drummer and singer going through a PA. I was pleasantly surprised, much more volume than I expected.

I think, as this is a question of one easily portable cab, Barefaced Compact - if as others have said, a tweeter isn`t needed. I can`t think of many other brands/cabs that are that lightweight that will handle a gig on their own. Saying that, in my 8-piece band I use a Markbass 1x12 combo and it`s plenty, so I`ll add in the Markbass NY121. Great little cab, adjustable tweeter, lightweight.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1374074489' post='2145018']

Very interesting as i get massive volume out of mine. even with my TC BH250. Always felt my shuttle 6.0 was light on watts IMO

[/quote]
Me and the other bassist both had a shuttle 6.0 head, and he had 2 1x12 cabs set up already so we agreed that we might as well just use his cabs but with our own heads so we stacked them up, as soon as I tried it I knew it was struggling (might be why you thought the genz was short on power?) My shuttle 3.0 with my own cabs would have blown it away! Maybe they were a duff pair or something but you know how it is once you have first hand experience of something not working how you want.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

It depends on what your current 4x10 is that you want to compare against.

I went from a Trace Elliott 4x10 to a Markbass 2x10 & the Markbass blows it away in every respect. But then most good 2x12s are now better than most 4x10s.

As I always say, pop to a shop & try some gear. :)

Although it wouldn't surprise me for the Genz to outperform the PCs, I really wouldn't expect such a vast difference. I wonder if one of the PC's had been mistakenly wired with reverse polarity so that they were cancelling each other out at low frequencies? By the way, we have something new impending with extended frequency response (highs to ~20kHz) and similar size, weight, sensitivity and maximum output to the Compact (comparable to good 2x12"s rather than 1x12"s).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374080257' post='2145100']

Me and the other bassist both had a shuttle 6.0 head, and he had 2 1x12 cabs set up already so we agreed that we might as well just use his cabs but with our own heads so we stacked them up, as soon as I tried it I knew it was struggling (might be why you thought the genz was short on power?) My shuttle 3.0 with my own cabs would have blown it away! Maybe they were a duff pair or something but you know how it is once you have first hand experience of something not working how you want.
[/quote]

My observations on the shuttle are based on using GB cabs. I git rid of my 6 and 3 long before I had the chilis

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1374080975' post='2145109']
Although it wouldn't surprise me for the Genz to outperform the PCs, I really wouldn't expect such a vast difference. I wonder if one of the PC's had been mistakenly wired with reverse polarity so that they were cancelling each other out at low frequencies? By the way, we have something new impending with extended frequency response (highs to ~20kHz) and similar size, weight, sensitivity and maximum output to the Compact (comparable to good 2x12"s rather than 1x12"s).
[/quote]
That sounds very feasible to me.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374071701' post='2144978']
I'm not sure what the exact models were but same room, same head, same bass and the difference was massive, it still remains the highest I have needed to put the output on my shuttle six and it was a tiny room. I thought maybe a 2x12 might be better than two 1x12s but the experts here say not.
[/quote]

I think I know what your talking about Pete. Normally with one of the Bands I play with I use 2 EBS CL 112's for practice and gigs and a Aguilar TH500, today I took along my GB212 neo xt as we have an outdoor gig on Sunday and thought I could do with the extra umph as most of our smaller gigs guitars and bass are never FOH .. anyway at practice same room, same volume the drummer turned to me after 2 songs and said ahh so that's what your you playing ;) He could hear and feel it, seems the porting and and 2-12's stuck in the same box do have some magic.. or so it would seem.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1374095115' post='2145304']
I think I know what your talking about Pete. Normally with one of the Bands I play with I use 2 EBS CL 112's for practice and gigs and a Aguilar TH500, today I took along my GB212 neo xt as we have an outdoor gig on Sunday and thought I could do with the extra umph as most of our smaller gigs guitars and bass are never FOH .. anyway at practice same room, same volume the drummer turned to me after 2 songs and said ahh so that's what your you playing ;) He could hear and feel it, seems the porting and and 2-12's stuck in the same box do have some magic.. or so it would seem.
[/quote]
Well I would agree but I am told that if you cut your cab in half and seal the ends up, stack them up and turn back on they will behave and sound exactly as 2x12s? I would certainly be interested to compare my Neox2x12T with a pair of Neox1x12T cabs, I have one 1x12 but it is the one with the smaller cabinet so not a fair comparison to use another one of those (which I could as a mate has one). :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1374095115' post='2145304']
[/quote]

What this proves is that a Neox 212 performs better than two CL112s. Nothing to do with 2x12" vs 1x12", everything to do with the Neox 12" vs the CL 12" - and their relative prices imply that the CL112 has to contain a much less expensive 12".