Why become a member? ×

Cheep Case or Gig Bag ?

njr911

Thomann own-brand bags are awesome. I have two of the faux-leatherette one's and they're tremendous quality and look bangin'. Sub £20 and they're good bits of kit.

To make the postage worth it, it's a good time to nab some stuff that you've been meaning to get like stands, strings, cleaning materials and cables.

Truckstop

Got one of these foam cases the other day for my P, seems fairly well made and sturdy and offers nearly as much protection as your standard hard cases and is really light. Only £30.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87[/url]

Get the best case for how you intend to transport your bass. If you have to do lots of walking with it or use public transport get a gig bag. If it's going in the band van or other shared transport with a lot of other gear and you won't always be doing the packing then get a decent hard case.

These semi-rigid cases are a bargain just now:
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/protection-racket-7051-electric-bass-guitar-bag/5444"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/protection-racket-7051-electric-bass-guitar-bag/5444[/url]

I've got one and it's a great compromise between a gig bag and a hard case for not much cash.

personally i go for Hiscox cases, they're quite expensive new now but pop up secondhand around the 50 quid mark. i have a couple of the bass sized ones and i just put whichever basses i need for the gig into the hiscox cases and the other basses live in gigbags or on wall hangers while in the house.
i also have hiscox for most of my other instruments and they've saved the day on more than a few occasions! i'm going to get one with my new letts and probably for the R*****F***r when Mr Foxon tells me it's ready.

Matt

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1373542973' post='2138812']
These semi-rigid cases are a bargain just now:
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/protection-racket-7051-electric-bass-guitar-bag/5444"]http://www.gak.co.uk...guitar-bag/5444[/url]

I've got one and it's a great compromise between a gig bag and a hard case for not much cash.
[/quote]

That looks mightily impressive - especially since according to the Protection Racket website it weighs nothing!

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1373543674' post='2138825']
I have a Protec Contego that I bought from Thomann. Great cases.
[/quote]

Yes, I have one of these too, it's perfect and holds loads of other stuff, but a lot more costly than those being posted here.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1373546680' post='2138884']

Yes, I have one of these too, it's perfect and holds loads of other stuff, but a lot more costly than those being posted here.
[/quote]

Yes but well worth it though. I have one and convinced shep to get one too.
I can stick my amp head in there along with all my cables nd many other bits and pieces.
I trust it it a lot more than most other bags and cases I've had.

My only issue is that my 22 fretted jazz basses are a bit of a squeeze.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1373549624' post='2138934'] I got mine when they were on sale at Thomann. £60 posted to my door :) [/quote]

Ok, MINE was a lot more than those posted here! You got a bargain, well, compared to mine anyway. Actually, it was £80 so not too much more but was more painful as they sent the guitar version and when we investigated I'd selected the wrong one (hadn't occurred to me there would be a guitar version!) so I had to pay to return it. I really wanted to buy it from Bass Direct but they had run out.

[indent=1]Going to hold on for now and try pick up an Hiscox when one pops up. Currently only taking one bass out at a time so not an issue so far as I can just swap in and out of my current gig bag.[/indent]

[indent=1]Cheers for the advice, lots of great case suggestions[/indent]

A gig bag or softcase is NOT a flight case, ofm course, so as long as you take care how you load/pack it in your car...
you should be ok for a couple of years until the zips or stitching gives up.

Just treat them as little more than a padded wrap and they do ok..
Don't expect too much and be reasonable with your expectations

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1373576012' post='2139324']
A gig bag or softcase is NOT a flight case, ofm course, so as long as you take care how you load/pack it in your car...
you should be ok for a couple of years until the zips or stitching gives up.

Just treat them as little more than a padded wrap and they do ok..
Don't expect too much and be reasonable with your expectations
[/quote]

But a good quality hard case or flight case isn't suitable for carrying long distances if you are walking or particularly user friendly on public transport.

That's why I said pick the right case for what you need. Sometimes you need bomb-proof protection and other times you need something light that you can strap on your back.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1373551771' post='2138958']
Ok, MINE was a lot more than those posted here! You got a bargain, well, compared to mine anyway. Actually, it was £80 so not too much more but was more painful as they sent the guitar version and when we investigated I'd selected the wrong one (hadn't occurred to me there would be a guitar version!) so I had to pay to return it. I really wanted to buy it from Bass Direct but they had run out.
[/quote]

Wows, I got mine a fair few years ago from BD at £105 posted.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1373544666' post='2138845']That looks mightily impressive - especially since according to the Protection Racket website it weighs nothing![/quote]

Quite! It actually hovers in mid-air (even with a bass in it) and just follows you around without you having to carry it. ;)