Why become a member? ×

How thick...

...are my strings?

- You buy yourself a secondhand bass
- You like the strings
- You need a new set
- You Google the colour of the silk and work out what type of strings they are

But what's the most commonly used way to accurately identify what gauge they are?

CB

I believe you can get a thing like a large credit card with a load of holes in it. You feed the strings in until you find the smallest it'll fit. No idea what it's called, maybe String Gauge Checker?

My mate from school used to have one.

Thanks folks. Quite like the idea of the card thingy.
The digital calipers sound easy to use without having even to bother taking the strings off.
But...is it just hearsay - or has anyone actually used them and found them successful at accurately gauging the gauge? :-)

CB

I have to confess that I haven't used mine to check for string gauge as I haven't had to. Sorry.

They're supposed to be accurate down to .003mm, but I have no way of knowing if they actually are that accurate because the only thing I have to measure them with is themselves. I can't even judge tenths of a mm with my just my eyes and a steel rule.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373321251' post='2136253']
I have to confess that I haven't used mine to check for string gauge as I haven't had to. Sorry.

They're supposed to be accurate down to .003mm, but I have no way of knowing if they actually are that accurate because the only thing I have to measure them with is themselves. I can't even judge tenths of a mm with my just my eyes and a steel rule.
[/quote]

Would you mind having a try with your strings for me to see if they work?

CB

I wish I hadn't done that now, I'm a little disappointed... Having said that, I don't know what to be disappointed in, I don't know which is wrong, the callipers or the strings.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]The strings are: .105 .085 .070 .050[/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]And I got:[color=#fff0f5]......[/color] .103 .083 .067 .048[/font]

The strings are D'Addario Chromes.

I'd test other strings but they're the only ones I even know the make of , nevermind the gauge.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373323241' post='2136301']
I wish I hadn't done that now, I'm a little disappointed... Having said that, I don't know what to be disappointed in, I don't know which is wrong, the callipers or the strings.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]And I got:[color=#fff0f5]......[/color] .103 .083 .067 .048[/font]

I'd test other strings but they're the only ones I even know the make of , nevermind the gauge.
[/quote]

Hey, I appreciate you doing that.
But. I have to say it seems those particular calipers wouldn't tell me whether I had a 105/45 set or a 100/40 set.
Dang!

Thx,
CB

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373323241' post='2136301']...

[/quote]

Maybe the strings are worn..? :mellow:

I have my coat in my hand...

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1373323591' post='2136304']
Hey, I appreciate you doing that.
But. I have to say it seems those particular calipers wouldn't tell me whether I had a 105/45 set or a 100/40 set.
Dang!

Thx,
CB
[/quote]
If it is the callipers, then at least they're fairly consistent. You'd need a way to find out how short or long the tool is measuring. Unless you spend an awful lot of money on professional kit there is always going to be some discrepancy. And I did say they were accurate to .003mm, which seems to have turned out to be the case. And they were only £20.
But yeah, looking at this thread, something already set up for the job you want, like the card, would be best.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373323241' post='2136301']

[/quote]

If you measured 'on the bass' won't they be elongated and therefore thinner?

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1373319957' post='2136231']
The digital calipers sound easy to use without having even to bother taking the strings off.
But...is it just hearsay - or has anyone actually used them and found them successful at accurately gauging the gauge? :-)
[/quote]

I used them this week - I had recently got a bass and needed to know what the gauge was, as they seemed to go well but were too short (yes, too short).

They were spot on 105 85 65 45. These are using verniers that I bought from maplin for £8 a few weeks ago [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/100mm-digital-vernier-calliper-219149"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/100mm-digital-vernier-calliper-219149[/url]

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1373682293' post='2140606']

I used them this week - I had recently got a bass and needed to know what the gauge was, as they seemed to go well but were too short (yes, too short).

They were spot on 105 85 65 45. These are using verniers that I bought from maplin for £8 a few weeks ago [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/100mm-digital-vernier-calliper-219149"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/100mm-digital-vernier-calliper-219149[/url]
[/quote]
Oh, now I am very annoyed!

I knew Maplins sold them, I had had my eye on them for months, I was just waiting for my birthday to find the excuse to buy them. They had also been on sale for £10 for all of that time. A few weeks before my birthday they suddenly stopped selling them, the only ones they had were brass, non-digital ones, that were no good to me.
And now they sell them again. And they even sell the exact ones that I ended up buying. Their presale price is £5 cheaper than what I paid and they're on sale with another £2 knocked off!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electronic-digital-calliper-32198

I got mine for £20 from Machine Mart.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1373727538' post='2141026']
Is there no way to ask the person you bought it off what strings they use/had on that bass?

Liam
[/quote]

I like to be self sufficient!

Well, truth is I did ask the person. They told me. I forget. Don't want to ask again. Because that would prove I'm an idiot. :-)

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1373728055' post='2141031']

I like to be self sufficient!

Well, truth is I did ask the person. They told me. I forget. Don't want to ask again. Because that would prove I'm an idiot. :-)

CB
[/quote]
Ah, pride comes before a desperate thread...

Asking again would be the cheapest solution.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373728668' post='2141037']
Ah, pride comes before a desperate thread...

Asking again would be the cheapest solution.
[/quote]

Next you'll be suggesting that asking for directions when lost is a good idea!

Hey there, just get some vernier calipers. Either digital or mechanical will do. I'm not too sure of the tolerance of string manufacturers but when I measure mine they're never spot on tbh, and my calipers weren't cheap (used them when I was an engineer so needed to be spot on!) B). Your best bet is really digital as the mechanical ones can skip if any dirt or muck gets in the gear mech.

Edited by jimbobothy

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1373734581' post='2141120']Next you'll be suggesting that asking for directions when lost is a good idea![size=4][/quote][/size]

[size=4]Well that's quite obviously ridiculous. Men are never 'lost' - they just become 'temporarily disoriented'.[/size]