Why become a member? ×

Don't know what to do....

tayste_2000

So I'll try and keep the bragging and whining to a minimum and the post as brief as possible.

So had some major changes in the past 6 months that have left me direction less. I left the band I'd been in for 8 years, I had all my amps stolen, I joined a new band

So at the time of leaving my band I had 5 Overwaters (3 in that Original Thunderbird/Jazz shape) and a Rickenbacker. Everything was detuned a step and a half and I'd just invested in some very pricey Circle K strings which were playing havoc with my setups (previously been down a step with standard strings just detuned so massive shift in tension). Basically I thought, how am I going to join a band with basses like this, it worked fine when it was my band, touring all the time and playing our music how we wanted to sound. But leaving that meant joining someone else's band (playing their music) or finally caving and playing covers, because I'm sure as hell not starting again and putting another 8 years into a band.

So I bought one of those Fender Mustang pawn Shops, went an did my audition, got into my new band which is like a modern Talking Heads (took the Mustang and a badly setup Ric to the audition) at the same time my Matamp's got stolen (2 200w valve heads and my 4x10) leaving me with a 2x12 and an 8x10, both useless without the heads, so after much umming and ahhing I sold the 2x12 and put the 8x10 up for sale thinking I'll just start again. Whilst doing this I stumbled across a 1970's Ampeg B-15 which has always been a dream amp of mine and something that I felt would always be of use for me (small jam amp, small gig amp, recording amp, home practice amp) and for me, it's pretty damn small and light weight. So I picked that up and am very happy.

I took a look at the collection and decided I was going to keep the Ric (long story but a gift from my father so I will never sell it, but at the same time in 13 years I've had it I've used it in 3 band practices and 1 gig), my 5 string 36inch scale Overwater that was my main bass for the past 5 years and this new Fender Mustang. Got them all setup and sounding amazing (Ric and Mustang have got flats on and the Overwater has got rounds on, so I've got vintage 4 and modern 5 sounds covered and can copy whatever I need to inbetween that). So I was absolute in selling everything, though some how I ended up buying more (thought every bass player needs a p bass so I bought a Lakland Donald Dunn, and within a month have sold it). So in looking to just have these 3 basses I've sold one Overwater, got another in a shop on a commission sale, waiting for a guy to come round and potentially buy another 2 off me and I recently picked up a short scale that I don't know what to do with and will likely sell.

This new band are very happy with the tone I have with the Ric as my main and bringing out the Overwater when I want a bit more bite or having to play some really fast picked lines and the extra string tension helps. They feel the 30w of the B15 is loud enough for what we do and mostly its 1 practice a week and so far I've had 2 gigs with nothing on the horizon (doing a 3 track ep in the next few months)

I think this is where the lack of direction comes in, I love the new band, the music is great, the guys are great, everyone has a job so I'm not stuck paying band expenses on my own and it's easy to do and relaxing (I'm not stressed about this, that and the other to do with the band) and overall I enjoy greatly every minute we spend together. But it is a very different pace to what I've done for the past 8 years which ate up every minute of my spare time and all my spare £££

So I've tried to get into sessioning but that isn't a world you can just break into and with a fulltime job blah blah blah, it's difficult to really do what is needed and I think a lot of it was to help justify owning loads of instruments.

Then this weekend I met up with Happyjack when helping him get a bit of a rare Matamp. It was a great day, I tried loads of basses, lots that I'd been considering buying and we talked about this conundrum that I have.

I picked up an Antoria EB0 style bass off him and am ever so grateful for the deal we did, but I've got home and taken it to band practice and played it and it just feels like another bass I own that I don't know what to do with it like the other 3 Overwater's I'm selling currently. Further more I think he cemented my feeling that I want/need a decent vintage hollowbody (Guild Starfire sits on my list like the B-15 did) and a decent P bass. Then it got really complicated, he was jamming away on his double bass and asked me if I wanted a go, I said no I've never played one before (true, only every touched a DB twice before in my life and I mean touched as in put my finger on it) he gave me a few pointers and I started playing. Now I don't want to brag and I'd rather Jack drop by and repeat his thoughts but he was (very?) impressed at how easily I went to the bass and my use of a reasonably correct technique having only been told how to do a minute earlier.

He basically said I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't at least attempt to pursue DB, which made me think is selling my unlined fretless overwater because it's too hard a bad move? Should I be working on expanding what I can do. I'm very much a bass player, I don't play other instruments, I do what I do very well but what I do is not fanciful soloing, crazy fretless finesse but decent solid grooving or rocking out.

I've got a new Matamp GT200 coming in the next 2 weeks to go on my 8x10, which I'm happy with, it's a dream rig like the B-15, but will it get used? Or if it does will the B-15 get used anymore?

I guess with all the above, I feel a bit like I retired from playing, I play for fun, I can chase tone if I want, I can use a stupid amount of pedals if I want but I'm doing everything in my comfort zone and I wonder if I'm doing a disservice to myself and my (potential?) abilities.

So with all that in mind, what do I do? Am I in a rut? Am I on the verge of happiness? Do I need to expand the other areas of bass playing (fretless, DB etc)

P.S. I am sorry for the rambly post but basically thinking out loud and hoping some older guys have had similar experiences and very much looking for an open discussion where the above background is key.

Thanks

Sounds like you should ease up on buying anymore basses.
They're being treated like premiership footballers/ managers. 1 minute you have one, then another, then 2 are out the door ..

If you like the band(and the material) stick with them. seems like you have enough time/ energy for 2 bands, as you seem restless.
You could have upright lessons . Then if you are ready, buy one and sell one or two of your other basses.
Other than that, I haven't got a clue

This is the bit for me:

[i]I think this is where the lack of direction comes in, I love the new band, the music is great, the guys are great, everyone has a job so I'm not stuck paying band expenses on my own and it's easy to do and relaxing (I'm not stressed about this, that and the other to do with the band) and overall I enjoy greatly every minute we spend together. But it is a very different pace to what I've done for the past 8 years which ate up every minute of my spare time and all my spare £££[/i]

My view of this is your only problem - if indeed it is a problem - is spare time. There`s nothing wrong with your band, you obviously love buying/selling/playing basses/amps, so I don`t think music-wise you have any issues. You`ve just more time on your hands now, and as previous set-ups have taken all your time you look to me to be focusing on your spare time as being a fault of something being wrong, whereas to me, it looks like a bonus of things being right.

With regard to the double bass; it's easy for somebody else to tell you you should pursue it, they're not the one that'll have to spend loads of money on more gear (and have you seen the price of the strings?!!).

OK, so you had a brief go & had your ego massaged a bit, but is it REALLY something you've ever thought about doing before?
Do you have plans to play the sort of music where a DB would be essential, or are you just going to be spending your time learning to play it with no real point or goal to it when you'd be better off concentrating on what you do with your electric gear?

The chances are it'll end up as just another bit of kit not getting used that you might take a beating on when you inevitably sell it on.

(BTW, I'm currently spending money on gear with no real idea why I'm doing so - deep down I know it'll all be up for sale again within six months).

I think you are in mourning for the band you were in and I think you have other personal issues bubbling away in the background.

One thing I would say is that constant gear (or other materialistic) acquisition never ever leads to lengthy happiness...just a quick "high".

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372937910' post='2131815']
With regard to the double bass; it's easy for somebody else to tell you you should pursue it, they're not the one that'll have to spend loads of money on more gear (and have you seen the price of the strings?!!).

OK, so you had a brief go & had your ego massaged a bit, but is it REALLY something you've ever thought about doing before?
Do you have plans to play the sort of music where a DB would be essential, or are you just going to be spending your time learning to play it with no real point or goal to it when you'd be better off concentrating on what you do with your electric gear?

The chances are it'll end up as just another bit of kit not getting used that you might take a beating on when you inevitably sell it on.

(BTW, I'm currently spending money on gear with no real idea why I'm doing so - deep down I know it'll all be up for sale again within six months).
[/quote]

:) I was going to say something very similar but thought better of it, maybe I thought it was too personal. Anyway, I think you're bang on. If you went to a local fair and you had a go on someone's unicycle and the guy said, wow, you're really good aren't you, a f***ing natural! Would you therefore decide that must be your calling in life? If it was you'd probably have had a unicycle aready.

I think one must separate inner truth from the ego.

Unless you need the money don't sell anything until you are sure you no longer need or want to keep it.

And as regards bands - just because it's someone else's music now doesn't mean it's still going to like that in 12 months time. I don't mean that you should be muscling and imposing your ideas on them, it's just that by the time you've been in the band for a while it should start to evolve to accommodate the new members and what they bring musically.

Finally DB and fretless bass have IMO little in common. I got on really well with playing fretless and so went out and bought a Stagg EUB. Big mistake for me, the EUB sat unused for many years and then was finally sold. I still play fretless although not in my current band because it doesn't suit it (right now), but that doesn't mean I won't be using a fretless bass some time in the future. You might find that DB suits you, but you can't know for sure until you spend some time with one.

I think it sounds like you've lost yourself and your mind is flying in 15 different directions at once thinking "I want this, I want that" grasping for things. Stop trying. Declutter...
[size="3"]de·clut·ter [/size]
/ˈdēklətər/

Verb
Remove unnecessary items from (an untidy or overcrowded place)<---your mind.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1372938002' post='2131816']
I think you are in mourning for the band you were in and I think you have other personal issues bubbling away in the background.

One thing I would say is that constant gear (or other materialistic) acquisition never ever leads to lengthy happiness...just a quick "high".
[/quote]

Spot on !!

The (apparent ) need to change or buy new gear seems to be a distraction from some bigger problem .
When I "left " a band after 10 years , it initially seemed OK , but like any relationship , it can really hit you harder than you think.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1372937700' post='2131810']
This is the bit for me:

[i]I think this is where the lack of direction comes in, I love the new band, the music is great, the guys are great, everyone has a job so I'm not stuck paying band expenses on my own and it's easy to do and relaxing (I'm not stressed about this, that and the other to do with the band) and overall I enjoy greatly every minute we spend together. But it is a very different pace to what I've done for the past 8 years which ate up every minute of my spare time and all my spare £££[/i]

My view of this is your only problem - if indeed it is a problem - is spare time. There`s nothing wrong with your band, you obviously love buying/selling/playing basses/amps, so I don`t think music-wise you have any issues. You`ve just more time on your hands now, and as previous set-ups have taken all your time you look to me to be focusing on your spare time as being a fault of something being wrong, whereas to me, it looks like a bonus of things being right.
[/quote]

Yeah I can definitely see this, I'm actually going to the gym 2-3 times a week (which I never did previously) which has essentially replaced the 3 practices I use to do a week with my last band, one thing I have found with my spare time is I enjoy listening to music more, I have time to sit there put a record on and read a book which is nice but then i feel a bit guilty I should be playing more.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372937742' post='2131811']
All sounds to me like this has nothing to do with equipment. Kind of sounds like you've lost your voice. Do you know what you want to say through bass/music?
[/quote]

Good point, definitely feeling that, in the last band I knew who I was, what I did and how I wanted to sound now I can do anything and I don't like it :P

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372937910' post='2131815']

[/quote]

A really good point, I could see myself with an Ampeg Baby Bass and playing some latin jazz, but it would be more of a playing along to it at home, or doing loungey jazz ala Oceans 11,12 & 13 soundtrack but again just at home.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1372938002' post='2131816']

[/quote]

Actually got no personal issues bubbling away, very happy at work, recently married very happy with that, was thinking of moving/buying a house but I lovely my flat so much and it costs bugger all to live in :D so oddly it's the constant wondering about what to do musically that's getting me down.

Thanks guys

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1372939123' post='2131838']
I think it sounds like you've lost yourself and your mind is flying in 15 different directions at once thinking "I want this, I want that" grasping for things. Stop trying. Declutter...
[size=3]de·clut·ter [/size]
/ˈdēklətər/

Verb
Remove unnecessary items from (an untidy or overcrowded place)<---your mind.
[/quote]

Thanks, which would lead me to my thinking on the 3 basses I want to keep being correct (the Overwater and Ric will never leave me due to sentimental reasons) and then just crack on with playing and enjoying what I'm doing instead of thinking about all the things I *could* be doing if I only spent another 16 years learning the instrument again :P

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1372935969' post='2131779']
Then it got really complicated, he was jamming away on his double bass and asked me if I wanted a go, I said no I've never played one before (true, only every touched a DB twice before in my life and I mean touched as in put my finger on it) he gave me a few pointers and I started playing. Now I don't want to brag and I'd rather Jack drop by and repeat his thoughts but he was (very?) impressed at how easily I went to the bass and my use of a reasonably correct technique having only been told how to do a minute earlier.

He basically said I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't at least attempt to pursue DB, which made me think is selling my unlined fretless overwater because it's too hard a bad move? Should I be working on expanding what I can do. I'm very much a bass player, I don't play other instruments, I do what I do very well but what I do is not fanciful soloing, crazy fretless finesse but decent solid grooving or rocking out.

[/quote]

Just to clarify what this is all about ...

Three years ago Bassace and JakesBass brought a bunch of DBs along to the SouthEast BassBash, gave very good talks on playing DB and what's involved, and then invited us complete novices to have a go if we wanted. I remember a dozen or so of us trying to work out how to stand, how to hold the DB, how to pluck correctly, wincing at our (lack of) intonation.

Two years ago I bought my first DB (from Clarky - as if you needed to ask :lol: ) and immediately booked an intro lesson from JakesBass. By the time he arrived, I'd had two evenings of floundering around. By the time he left, I was in a much better place.

I pushed my DB at Steve on Sunday and within seconds he was playing working, recognisable bass lines. I showed him very briefly where to stand and how to pluck, and two minutes after touching it for the first time he was playing at least as well as my "better place" (above) and I'd reckon quite a bit better.

I've met loads of bass players who have told me that they'd love to play DB but they are somehow intimidated by it ... too big, too different, too difficult, too fretless. Given the speed with which Steve took to DB, seems to me that there's a natural DB player inside him just waiting to get out.

As to the rest of your post, Steve, we talked about this a fair bit on Sunday but here's my tupp'orth anyway.

If you're in the happy position of not having to sell anything, and not (yet) being under domestic pressure, then keep what you have and perhaps make some strategic purchases (a decent Precision, a Hofner Verithin and a starter DB).

Right now you are (musically) more-or-less a free agent, with loads of experience and good industry contacts. Whatever your band situation today, tomorrow will likely be different and you can't know what band opportunities will suddenly be thrown at you, or what kit you'll need to make them work.

The "[i][b]back to basics[/b][/i]" comments which frequently emerge on these and similar threads tend to ignore the fact that some people are gear-heads and some are not, that some people have more of something (time / space / money / energy / enthusiasm / whatever) than others, and that for some people [i]having a clear-out[/i] and [i]thinning the herd[/i] and [i]getting back into single figures[/i] and [i]going back to basics[/i] are simply a wonderful excuse to go out on the next shopping spree. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1372944914' post='2131937']
As to the rest of your post, Steve, we talked about this a fair bit on Sunday but here's my tupp'orth anyway.

If you're in the happy position of not having to sell anything, and not (yet) being under domestic pressure, then keep what you have and perhaps make some strategic purchases (a decent Precision, a Hofner Verithin and a starter DB).

Right now you are (musically) more-or-less a free agent, with loads of experience and good industry contacts. Whatever your band situation today, tomorrow will likely be different and you can't know what band opportunities will suddenly be thrown at you, or what kit you'll need to make them work.

The "[i][b]back to basics[/b][/i]" comments which frequently emerge on these and similar threads tend to ignore the fact that some people are gear-heads and some are not, that some people have more of something (time / space / money / energy / enthusiasm / whatever) than others, and that for some people [i]having a clear-out[/i] and [i]thinning the herd[/i] and [i]getting back into single figures[/i] and [i]going back to basics[/i] are simply a wonderful excuse to go out on the next shopping spree. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

A Verithin would definitely not hurt, the only domestic pressure I'm under is the wife going will you stop talking about all these basses you own and don't like :P and I don't know why you're buying another one you'll only sell it, she also thinks all the Original Shape Overwater's I own are ugly :P

Oh and for the record Verithin > Starfire so that's saved me more than a grand when I go shopping for a hollowbody.