Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

July Composition Competition

charic

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1373182313' post='2134341']
70's New York City Night life - The City that never sleeps.
My take for this month.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/garrycribb/club-retro-75"]http://soundcloud.com/garrycribb/club-retro-75[/url]

Garry
[/quote]
Wow, that's awesome.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1373182313' post='2134341']
70's New York City Night life - The City that never sleeps.
My take for this month.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/garrycribb/club-retro-75"]http://soundcloud.co...b/club-retro-75[/url]

Garry
[/quote]

Hmm... So flares, kipper ties, hot pants are back in vogue, is that it..? Brilliant production here, authentic from beginning to end. Should nevertheless have a label attached: "Warning, may contain hand-claps..." I'm convinced; now, where did I put that spoon on a chain..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1373153860' post='2134266']
:hi:
Hello all. I'm new to all this.. so please be gentle with me? :P Here is my entry for the July Basschat Competition for your consideration..

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :D

[url="https://soundcloud.com/simon-edward/downtown-bleecker"]https://soundcloud.c...wntown-bleecker[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[/quote]

Amazing! You should be proud! :)

Holy Moly... is everyone on steroids this month?? :blink: Lots of entries in already. Seriously good work, folks!

I haven't listened to any of them yet - trying not to get swayed while sketching out the ingredients for this month's concoction (collaborating with RockfordStone - aka Rob). But judging by people's reactions we seem to be off to a good start.

Anyway, this is great to see and hopefully a sign of things to come. Well done to everyone thus far and welcome aboard to the newcomers. These challenges are super-addictive... you have been warned :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373202075' post='2134609']
I haven't listened to any of them yet - trying not to get swayed while sketching out the ingredients for this month's concoction (collaborating with RockfordStone - aka Rob). But judging by people's reactions we seem to be off to a good start.
[/quote]

Vote Milty :D

I think I'll finish of my mix for the mix comp tomorrow and upload it. I don't think I have much left to do to it. I enjoyed making the composition though.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373192654' post='2134466']
Amazing! You should be proud! :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373202075' post='2134609']
Holy Moly... is everyone on steroids this month?? :blink: Lots of entries in already. Seriously good work, folks!
Anyway, this is great to see and hopefully a sign of things to come. Well done to everyone thus far and welcome aboard to the newcomers. These challenges are super-addictive... you have been warned :)
[/quote]

Thanks Milty & good luck yourself! .. There's a saying.. "It comes easy, or it never comes at all".. which is Half-true.. the other things just take a lot longer.. :)
Skol - I have been warned :) .. just happy to have entered this month.. now let's see if anyone is around to listen/vote..? B)

Well I've done a complete 180°, spent a lot of time making intricate glitchy beats and then I picked up a guitar and blasted out a riff that is pretty much perfect, so I might still marry the two together but I'm definitely aiming at more of a post-hardcore feel.

I haven't listened to any of the very early entries yet either, I don't want to colour my own idea, plus I prefer to know how much better everyone else's is after I've finished mine.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1373224070' post='2135039']
Well I've done a complete 180°, spent a lot of time making intricate glitchy beats and then I picked up a guitar and blasted out a riff that is pretty much perfect, so I might still marry the two together but I'm definitely aiming at more of a post-hardcore feel.

I haven't listened to any of the very early entries yet either, I don't want to colour my own idea, plus I prefer to know how much better everyone else's is after I've finished mine.
[/quote]

I am pulling my hair out on this one , I have recorded loads of stuff and tried to make a sound go together, but getting a pop vibe , (which was my daughters instruction) is proving oddly difficult . still , I haev learned a few new tricks on Reaper , I have to find a way of getting them in now .

I will listen in when I am done with mine, but I am impressed with the speed that youve done them especially when the comments are so positive

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1373224070' post='2135039']
[/quote]

+1, I'm on version 2 now, and not convinced by it at the moment. I'm hoping some live guitar and bass parts might change that when I get the time

Simon - loved your track! Fantastic entry!

Garry - OMG!!! Anyone that that can get me dancing at this time in the morning must have one incredible talent!!!!! I adored it, and the bassline was kick arse!! Fabulous.

Still not started mine due to "technical problems", still hoping to get something down though!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1373275012' post='2135441']Started mine yesterday but 4 gigs over the weekend meant progress was pretty much halted![/quote]

Sounds like a good weekend to me! Well done Bilbo.

Just started my collaboration with Mr Stone. It's a crazy month for me at work and all weekends are booked up with social stuff (no bad thing), so it's going to be a case of burning some midnight oil to get this one done. I recorded a first take of a bassline last night, and I know Rob has been noodling with a new guitar amp, so things are underway... expect something loud and heavy as a result ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373277410' post='2135486']
Sounds like a good weekend to me! Well done Bilbo.

Just started my collaboration with Mr Stone. It's a crazy month for me at work and all weekends are booked up with social stuff (no bad thing), so it's going to be a case of burning some midnight oil to get this one done. I recorded a first take of a bassline last night, and I know Rob has been noodling with a new guitar amp, so things are underway... expect something loud and heavy as a result ;)
[/quote]

i havent decided how low im going to tune my guitar... it could be very very heavy

I've given up on trying to tweak mine. I'm gonna submit as is. There's only so much mixing you can do on a phone before it starts to get pointless. Bit of pan, bit of volume, still sounds the same. It sounds rubbish but its not getting any better no matter how I tweak it so I'm giving up.

Here's my entry, it's called "Mama leave a light on ( poor boy blues)". Typical story of a country boy heading to the city to make his fortune but ends up going home with his tail between his legs.
This was made completely on my phone so any criticism of the mix/sound, constructive or otherwise will fall on deaf ears(hee hee). Also this is my first entry so go easy on me......

http://m.soundcloud.com/theboysings/mama-leave-a-light-on-poor-boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1373289617' post='2135691']
Here's my entry, it's called "Mama leave a light on ( poor boy blues)". Typical story of a country boy heading to the city to make his fortune but ends up going home with his tail between his legs.
This was made completely on my phone so any criticism of the mix/sound, constructive or otherwise will fall on deaf ears(hee hee). Also this is my first entry so go easy on me......

[url="http://m.soundcloud.com/theboysings/mama-leave-a-light-on-poor-boy"]http://m.soundcloud....ght-on-poor-boy[/url]
[/quote]

:hi:
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Go easy for a first entry? :P .. Absolutely zero criticism - lovely mix/sound coming through my laptop/bass buds here [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- good luck![/font][/color]

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1373293008' post='2135727'][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Absolutely zero criticism - lovely mix/sound coming through my laptop/bass buds here [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- good luck![/font][/color][/quote]

+1 Sounds pretty good on my studio monitors, too - great vocal performance and production, btw.
Which app did you use for this?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1373300845' post='2135863']

+1 Sounds pretty good on my studio monitors, too - great vocal performance and production, btw.
Which app did you use for this?
[/quote]
Thanks mate. Garage band.

Thank you Spacechick.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1373289617' post='2135691']...This was made completely on my phone...[/quote]

What..? The use of technology is cheating, I thought..! All those hours, spent scratching away over a parchment with my goose's quill were for nothing..? Fowl, I cry, fowl..! Whatever next..? We'll learn that some of the instruments heard were not really played, live, by the composer..? Shock, horror..! :o
([i]Please excuse the tinge of jealously emanating from this open, honest, critique of your work... This is entirely your own fault for producing such immaculate production from a 'phone. Maybe it's time I updated mine..?[/i] :mellow: )

[attachment=138652:Old_Phon.jpg]