Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1379709512' post='2216139']
They look cool, more G&L than Musicman to my ears....I think the bridge H is out of the Stingray sweetspot on the HH...(not sure). This would make the HH model more like a Bongo HH.

If they are reasonable prices they could do quite well with these. I imagine they are having to tread VERY carefully not to be 'too Stingray' to get into trouble.

I think Fender having some cool stuff out at the moment...they just need a GOOD passive 5 string PJ model to the standard of something like Sandberg. That would go down VERY well.
[/quote]

I'm sure Fender have designed these with the specific intention of treading on Sterling's toes , and are sure of their ground regarding copyright ect . I think so long as they don't go for a 3+1 headstock they are safe ! It would be interesting too hear what folks on the EBMM forum think of these . However , that is a bit like saying " I wonder what people in North Korea really think of Kim Jong-un ?" , i.e they are too frightened to say what they really think for fear of what might happen to them :lol: . Totally agree about the Fender PJ , too.

Hang on... two humbuckers and an 18v pre-amp with a 3 band EQ?

Surely the HH model is literally just a G&L M2000/M2500? You could probably pick a G&L Tribute M2000 for half the price of the American Deluxe and I imagine it'd be just as good, if not better. And then you've got the USA-made G&Ls...

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1379797844' post='2216940']

Surely the HH model is literally just a G&L M2000/M2500? You could probably pick a G&L Tribute M2000 for half the price of the American Deluxe and I imagine it'd be just as good, if not better. And then you've got the USA-made G&Ls...
[/quote]

Very true but G&L don't have a Fender logo on the headstock. That will make the difference to a lot of bassists.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1379798638' post='2216957']
Very true but G&L don't have a Fender logo on the headstock. That will make the difference to a lot of bassists.
[/quote]
Yep, the Fender logo on an active bass is a useful warning to potential purchasers. :ph34r:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379582963' post='2214349']
It's nice that they've come up with something Roscoe Beck-ish. They did that very well.
[/quote] I was sat there racking my brains trying to think what your bass was that it reminded me of... :)
that and a G&L.

• 3 weeks later...

This just came to my attention...

Very much Stingray-inspired, but with a particular edge over the Stingray (in my case): string spacing is a little wider than on a SR5.
This beauty above is priced at under £700 too.

:gas:

[url="http://youtu.be/OxkXfSD-CvE"]http://youtu.be/OxkXfSD-CvE[/url]

I've just had my hands on a USA Fender Dimension IV, maple neck model, two pickups. It has active bass, mid and treble cut and boost, and a 5-way switch that selects different coils within the humbuckers. Lots of sound options, including a lovely back pickup growl, smoother than a Stingray, a great slap sound, and a great P-Bass sound. The bass plays like a dream.

These should hit shops around December. A seriously great new bass from Fender.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1381250709' post='2236478']
I've merged a few more Dimension threads with this main thread to keep it all together... I hope everyone's cool with this.
[/quote]

totally cool, I had not noticed the other one... but it confused the hell out of me when I was looking at one thread and... puff it went! :lol:

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1381235142' post='2236112']
I don't really like the single pickup version, but the twin pickup version looks amazing. Shame that they're from the American Deluxe range---well out of my reach for the immediate future.
[/quote]

you don't like the single pickup version?

blasphemy!!!!! :lol:

it's interesting how the 2 pickup version is not simply the 1 pickup plus an extra pickup nearer the neck, the bridge pickup has also moved closer to teh bridge, so the 2 pickup version won't get you the Stingray vibe as the 1 pickup does (bridge pickup in the wrong position)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1381251255' post='2236494']

you don't like the single pickup version?

blasphemy!!!!! :lol:

it's interesting how the 2 pickup version is not simply the 1 pickup plus an extra pickup nearer the neck, the bridge pickup has also moved closer to teh bridge, so the 2 pickup version won't get you the Stingray vibe as the 1 pickup does (bridge pickup in the wrong position)
[/quote]

Basically a M2000/Bongo

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1379797844' post='2216940']

[/quote]

Fenders USA basses are twice as expensive as G&L's overseas basses? Well, what an entirely pointless observation. Surely it would be more fitting to compare the overseas G&L bass to the overseas Fender bass? (which happens to be half the price :))

Quite like the look of this;

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-2013-American-Deluxe-Dimension-Bass-IV-HH-Natural-Maple-/290980432488?_trksid=p2054897.l4276#ht_2005wt_958"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-2013-American-Deluxe-Dimension-Bass-IV-HH-Natural-Maple-/290980432488?_trksid=p2054897.l4276#ht_2005wt_958[/url]

If one came up for say £600 second hand in a few years in decent nick I might be interested.

I popped into Andertons today to pick up some strings whilst I was passing by. They had a red Modern Player Dimension on the wall and I decided to take a look as I've not seen one in the flesh yet. Ugly brute.

I had no intention of ever wanting the bass, just wanted to see what it sounded like.

The thing is so damn comfortable to play - challenging my 'Ray - that I almost took it home with me then and there (£360 was very, very tempting). Managed to restrain myself! I'm still trying to convince myself it's a hellish, horrible, ugly thing that will be loved by no-one. Cue existential crisis...

Edited by Excalibr

[quote name='Excalibr' timestamp='1381611370' post='2241486']
I popped into Andertons today to pick up some strings whilst I was passing by. They had a red Modern Player Dimension on the wall and I decided to take a look as I've not seen one in the flesh yet. Ugly brute.

I had no intention of ever wanting the bass, just wanted to see what it sounded like.

The thing is so damn comfortable to play - challenging my 'Ray - that I almost took it home with me then and there (£360 was very, very tempting). Managed to restrain myself! I'm still trying to convince myself it's a hellish, horrible, ugly thing that will be loved by no-one. Cue existential crisis...
[/quote]

You're not helping my GAS one bit! :lol: