Why become a member? ×

intonation and how to get perfection

timmo

What exactly is intonation? I guess it has something to do with the tone of the bass.I have read the importance of intonation. I have read a bit about it on the net, and get a few differing answers. I assume that you need to adjust the screws on the adjustable saddles. Is that similar to just tuning the guitar properly? Also I gather it is impossible to get perfect intonation on every fret, Is that true? Also, is it something I need to worry about being a learner?

Edited by timmo

Tuning a bass so that the open strings are in tune is one thing, but a well intonated bass is tuned right up the fretboard.
Tune your open E string, then hold down the 12th fret and see if that is also spot on E. If not, adjust the bridge saddle either towards or away from the nut until both open and 12th fretted E's are spot on.

Repeat for each string. Edited by Roland Rock

It just means that all the notes on a string are perfectly in tune on every fret. An example would be - if you plucked the open G string and confirmed it was in tune and then plucked the G string while fretting it on the 12th fret, and that note was showing as G as well on your tuner, then your G string has perfect intonation (which means all the notes on that string will be in tune up and down the neck - which is what you want).
If the string was in tune with G when you played it open but was showing as F when you played it at the 12th fret then the intonation on that string is wrong and you would have to adjust the length of the string at the bridge to get the intonation correct.
Ideally you would want to adjust the intonation on your bass to be correct on every string otherwise you'll never get you bass to sound in tune up and down the neck.
Check on youtube on how to do it properly (it's pretty simple) and your bass playing will sound a lot better, especially when you're playing along to music or other musicians.

Sort of. More accurate would be say "being in tune all the way up the neck." Or, as near as damn it.

A quick check is to do the following: choose a string, and play the harmonic at the 12th fret. Now, fret the string at the 12th fret and play it normally. Is the note higher or lower than the harmonic you just heard? Rinse and repeat for the other three strings.

If the fretted note is the same as the harmonic, your instrument's intonation is probably ok. If it's higher or lower, it may be time to move the bridge saddles backwards or forwards a touch.

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1372347428' post='2124678']
Borrow a fretless bass for a while, then reflect on how lucky you are :D
[/quote]
Maybe I'm a bit tone deaf but I really can't tell if a basses intonation is a bit out, if it was that important fretless bass would be in trouble wouldn't they? Guitars are different because you're playing chords

Intonation adjustment doesn't matter on a fretless bass (apart from the convenience of having all the positions in the same place on each string) because you can adjust each note to be in tune by moving your finger(s).

On a fretted instrument the intonation adjustment is there to compensate for the fact that you are also stretching the string slightly every time you fret it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372349553' post='2124714']

On a fretted instrument the intonation adjustment is there to compensate for the fact that you are also stretching the string slightly every time you fret it.
[/quote]
I thought it was because the fatter the string the further away from the saddle it vibrated, that's why as a rule the saddle are further back on the E string than the G string

My tip is when you fret at the 12th to compare with the open string do it with a natural pressure like you were playing. All too easy to use a vice like grip and over do the intonation.

Remember that raising or lowering the action affects intonation.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372349553' post='2124714']
Intonation adjustment doesn't matter on a fretless bass (apart from the convenience of having all the positions in the same place on each string) because you can adjust each note to be in tune by moving your finger(s).

[/quote]

Indeed.

How much a string stretches also is a function of how thick they are (and material/construction, so different strings even of the same gauge *may* throw the intonation off slightly). A lot of people won't even notice, unless it's really badly adjusted, as they don't venture much beyond the first 5-7 frets.