Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 : an appreciation

obi 2 kenobi

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1371075655' post='2109651']
They normally go for around £700 on eBay. My mate got his for £680.

They are good functional studio basses but they look way too '80s for gigging.
[/quote] really?

[/quote]

I don't agree with this comment. But my advice to anyone who DOES think their SR5 is too 80s for gigging: screw on a clear scratchplate with a photo of a Steinberger underneath.

CB

They normally go for around £700 on eBay. My mate got his for £680.

[/quote]
Yes that's why no one plays fenders as they look too 50's or 60's for gigging, no one plays normal stingrays as they look to 70's......oh hang on they make up most of the gigging basses don't they? :)

I keep seeing 'I bought a Stingray for £600' everywhere. If you did, and its immaculate/not modded, that's fantastic. I hope I see one!

The market will be forced to change as a new Stingray 4 H is now £1600. The prices are across the board with virtually all shops.

A 5 HH, with an uprgraded guard, will cost around £1800-2000 now. Add a matching headstock, and it's a little more.

I was lucky to get my collection just before the prices went up, but if I wanted my Ray 5 HS with Tort guard now, its about £1800 or more.

The Ray 5 is an industry standard 5 string for a reason. IMO, its a timeless design.

One thing that I like about the Musicman 5 string basses is that the B is so tight and defined. It just appears very powerful, and even. This is probably because its usually a massive HB near the bridge allowing the pickup to pick up the tighter vibrations of the string.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1371115985' post='2109913']
I keep seeing 'I bought a Stingray for £600' everywhere. If you did, and its immaculate/not modded, that's fantastic. I hope I see one!

The market will be forced to change as a new Stingray 4 H is now £1600. The prices are across the board with virtually all shops.

A 5 HH, with an uprgraded guard, will cost around £1800-2000 now. Add a matching headstock, and it's a little more.

I was lucky to get my collection just before the prices went up, but if I wanted my Ray 5 HS with Tort guard now, its about £1800 or more.

The Ray 5 is an industry standard 5 string for a reason. IMO, its a timeless design.

One thing that I like about the Musicman 5 string basses is that the B is so tight and defined. It just appears very powerful, and even. This is probably because its usually a massive HB near the bridge allowing the pickup to pick up the tighter vibrations of the string.
[/quote] doubt 600 would get you immaculate, but I don't mind play wear at all. actually the more the better

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1371104650' post='2109755']
I bought the pickguard from an American company , I think it looks cool
[/quote]

Ah! Thanks for telling.
Yeah, I think so too. Very cool. And that comes from one who likes his stuff mostly toned down.

b,
b

An SR5 was my first 5 string bass.

It convinced me that 5 was the way to go, but I didn't like the one piece maple neck/fretboard. That was before the HH and HS models came out.

Chris Horton had one with a Piezo bridge which I thought sounded great.

I would think that a rosewood/HH/Piezo would be the best of all MM worlds.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1371287815' post='2112087']
An SR5 was my first 5 string bass.

It convinced me that 5 was the way to go, but I didn't like the one piece maple neck/fretboard. That was before the HH and HS models came out.

Chris Horton had one with a Piezo bridge which I thought sounded great.

I would think that a rosewood/HH/Piezo would be the best of all MM worlds.
[/quote]

Hi Chris,
My old SR5 piezo that I played at your house was a great bass, but I think if I were to get a SR5 again I would go for maple board to give me a little more "bite" with HS pickups.

P.s ..... I still have your old Epifani 410 cab , it's brilliant ! :)

Edited by Chris Horton

They're awesome basses.

Mine's about 9 years old now. Natural ash body with a maple fretboard, the ash has aged really nicely.

I'd like a fretless model too later this summer.

They are tremendously versatile, I've used mine on jazz gigs as well as the typical funk and Bernard Edwards stuff.

I really enjoyed mine. The only better playing 5'er I encountered was the MTD Kingston Heir 5, and every time I recommend that bass to people I get blank faces. Literally, you're unlikely to find better :lol:

Very similar basses, mind, nothing more than a fag paper between them.

Risingson has my old one, and I'm sure he'd echo the glowing feedback above. Great bases.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1371537227' post='2115078']
Just noticed again yesterday how the prices have changed on these, more than likely a sign of the times.
[/quote]

New or secondhand price , Gareth ? Which way are they going ?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1371552784' post='2115314']
New, and up! Have a check on guitarguitar, etc.
[/quote]

Just had a look . Nearly two grand for a Classic Ray is indeed a lot . I am sure , however , that you could buy one for substantially less than that for cash . I know retailers that are still doing a regular Ray to order for less than £1300 .

I had a teal SR5 but sold it to a Finnish BC'er a couple of years ago. I loved the sound but the weight was the problem & I was never keen on the colour. I would get another one if it was light and in a more classic colour scheme. I have pondered on whether to buy one & try and get a lighter body but too much trouble right now as my MTD covers all that off beautifully.