Why become a member? ×

Windsor Rickenbacker

Billy Apple

Does anyone own a Rickenbacker bass near Windsor that I could either borrow, or have a shot on for a while? I was just about to try a fire glow 4003 at a shop in Swindon, but my job has just finished there and it's doubtful I'll be back.

After all the goings on on BC concerning RIC/JH/Rickenbacker I should really try one out, and give it a little more time than you have in a shop.

I can offer a Gibbo TBird, A Re-Fin '62 P (by Overwater), A custom built Rutter/Warmoth Cabronita P and a Les Paul or SG as short term exchange if you fancy. Otherwise I can offer you my assurance it will be treated with the utmost care and respect.

I've always wanted a Rick, but in-spite of this I have never played one. My prejudices are that they are over-priced, cheap and nasty (because my mates said this when I was at school). My positives are that Lemmy always plays one, and the fire glow 4003 takes your breath away in the flesh.

I'll write up a review, hopefully before any ban, or not as the case may be. I suppose what I'm trying to do is for a virgin to satisfy his desire for the game-keepers daughter.

Cheers! :)[size=4] [/size]

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys and gals, just had a try on a BN fireglow 4003 in Wunjo. Totally blown away. Solid build, superb finish, loved the sound (even with the sh*te strings), loved the neck, loved how it played and how it hangs. And it looked fantastic. Now I've got complete Ricky GAS. JH aside, I can't understand why these basses garner such hatred. Bloody loved it me. BTW, I really didn't want to like it, but I did!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1372442379' post='2125870']
JH aside, I can't understand why these basses garner such hatred. Bloody loved it me. BTW, I really didn't want to like it, but I did!
[/quote]

I can't help wondering whether some of the haters have actually tried a real Ric. They're great, aren't they!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1372449844' post='2125985']
I've played a real Ric, it was awful which is a shame because they look awesome.
[/quote]

Strangely, I feel the same about Jazz basses, which I find dreadful to play. But each to their own.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1372450978' post='2125997']
Strangely, I feel the same about Jazz basses, which I find dreadful to play. But each to their own.
[/quote]

I love the look and sound of Jazz basses, when someone plays one as they should I'm so envious as, for some reason, I just can't get on with them.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1372450978' post='2125997']
[/quote]

Ditto. For me, the world's most horrible instrument.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1372449844' post='2125985']
I've played a real Ric, it was awful which is a shame because they look awesome.
[/quote]

I remember you having a Ric in a bag at one of Clarky's gigs. Was that it? Mapleglow? Come to think of it, it might have been Clarky.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1372462476' post='2126199']
I remember you having a Ric in a bag at one of Clarky's gigs. Was that it? Mapleglow? Come to think of it, it might have been Clarky.
[/quote]

I'm afraid it's not fashionable to like Rickenbackers. 200 of us voted for a ban, so the other 26,800 are not allowed to like them any more ;)

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1372462691' post='2126203']
I'm afraid it's not fashionable to like Rickenbackers. 200 of us voted for a ban, so the other 26,800 are not allowed to like them any more ;)
[/quote]

Well, JH was making things very difficult for the Board Of Guv'nors ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1372450556' post='2125993']
They are great and nothing like strapping yourself in and going on stage to gig.
I,ve got a 1999 one and the finish is incredible and the sound.
I did replace the bridge and I did put the vintage circuit in as well.
Looking for a d-tuner now.
One pair of shoes don,t fit everybody
[/quote]

I get the same feeling when I strap on the Thunderbird (another Marmite bass which I love). What is the vintage circuit you had put in? Is this not the Rick'O'Sound pull-out on the pot of the modern 4003's?

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372460596' post='2126166']
Ditto. For me, the world's most horrible instrument.
[/quote]

Indeed. Given warnings received from the mods, I need to be careful what I say, but sadly, preferring Rickenbackers to Fenders is not fashionable on here at the moment. But I guess we have to remember that almost 200 of the "active basschat membership" voted for the Rickenbacker ban, and those of us that love Rics will have to live with that

Edited by simon1964

I have to say I'm turning the corner with my Rick. I was having real trouble with it. I just thought I love the look of it but I'm never going to be able to play it. However, changing to a heavier gauge strings has really made a difference. After years of playing and loving Musicman basses the Rick is a challenge but I now really enjoy it and I'm getting the tone I'm after.

Unique and idiosyncratic instruments in my opinion but I reckon if you don't start off on one they throw you a bit or maybe I'm just sh*t :)

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1372488751' post='2126280']
I have to say I'm turning the corner with my Rick. I was having real trouble with it. I just thought I love the look of it but I'm never going to be able to play it. However, changing to a heavier gauge strings has really made a difference. After years of playing and loving Musicman basses the Rick is a challenge but I now really enjoy it and I'm getting the tone I'm after.

Unique and idiosyncratic instruments in my opinion but I reckon if you don't start off on one they throw you a bit or maybe I'm just sh*t :)
[/quote]

It's strange I don't remember having any trouble at all switching to my first Ric last year, and not at all once I'd worked out what gauge strings I wanted on it and a quick once over making sure the neck was straight from my luthier.
I always thought I was sensitive with basses but nowadays I have no problem going from a Jazz to a Ric to a 51P.. I think it's mostly in the set-up and feeling comfortable on each.