Why become a member? ×

Nik Kershaw

wombatboter

Just bought a greatest hits-cd of Nik Kershaw and I didn't regret it...great songs with often great bass lines..I have two questions concerning his music : I remembered that Paul Westwood played that funky slap bass on "I won't let the sun go down". Anyone happens to know what kind of bass he used on that track (sounds a bit Wal-ish to me). Second question : I remembered that I was unable at the time to play "Gone to Pieces" (I just wasn't fast enough) but now as I hear it again I have my doubts if it isn't a programmed synth bass (on YT the live clips feature a synth bass).. Synth bass or not ? [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xGUoGoiL7A[/media]

I think you are right re the Wal. I have a recollection of seeing one in TV clips - which is of course proof of absolutely nothing at all as regards the recording!

His recent albums from 15 Minutes on are worth checking out too, as is the website, which is fairly tongue in cheek

I love this song!! :)

It sounds to me like the bassline uses an open F#. Maybe the bass was tuned up a tone (F#, B, E, A). That would make the bassline a bit easier. It's really hard to get the correct articulation otherwise. Another possibility is that it was played in E but then sped up. I dunno... :huh: Do any of you hardcore slap guys on here know how to play it?

Edited by Kevin Glasgow

[quote name='Kevin Glasgow' timestamp='1370011106' post='2095535']
I love this song!! :)

It sounds to me like the bassline uses an open F#. Maybe the bass was tuned up a tone (F#, B, E, A). That would make the bassline a bit easier. It's really hard to get the correct articulation otherwise. Another possibility is that it was played in E but then sped up. I dunno... :huh: Do any of you hardcore slap guys on here know how to play it?
[/quote]

That would tie in with my varispeed recollection.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1370019169' post='2095675']
didn't Mark king play on some stuff for Nik to, iirc?
[/quote]

Yeah, he's on this track from Nik's second album 'The Riddle'.

[media]http://youtu.be/67N6TLG2_L4[/media]

It's a great track with some awesome bass playing! I love the way he plays the lick at 0:14 it's super tight! :)

I would love to know if there are any other NK tracks with Mark on bass?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1370017957' post='2095651']
Wasnt nick a bass session muso....played for elton amoungst others......may of dreamt that though?!?
[/quote] No guitarist. I believe he may have been in Elton John's band (?as MD?) for a while

Enjoyed listening to that again.

Human Racing always seemed to me to have the Wal bass sound written all over it - excellently played too, even if there was some studio skulduggery going on!

He's a very clever writer and arranger as well - really like the way he handles the key change in Gone to Pieces.

Looks like I'm going to have to pay another visit to iTunes...

I was very into Nik when I was a kid but didn't see him live until last year in Brum. The first set was Human Racing in its entirety (brilliant) so they did play Gone to Pieces at album speed. Second set was other classics plus tracks from his latest album, Eight. Well worth a listen if you like early Nik stuff - I think he's a really strong songwriter. What hit me was how good his voice was live, plus his current bassist is outstanding. The whole band was to be fair.

Some of you guys might well enjoy this track.... featuring NK on lead vocals and our own JD1 on bass!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T64YKHUY1dA[/media]

Edited by Conan

I went to see nik at the playhouse in edinburgh in the eightes
t,pau were the support band,yes I know I am that old
the bass player used both a jd and a wall during the set,was a really good gig,
liked his stuff ever since,15 minutes was good just a great songwriter

cheers
stef

At the time I always though the "slap bass" on the recordings was a combination of DX7 and Emulator patches.

If you're a fan of Nik Kershaw you should read Giles Smith's book "Lost In Music" there's a whole chapter on Nik about his transition from being in a rather muso band to pop stardom from an fan's PoV.

Edited by BigRedX