Why become a member? ×

Whats the best quality guitar lead?

I was practicing away tonight at neighbour friendly volume and happened to be tapping my foot on my bass lead and it was giving this definite crunching sound in my amp, its a planet waves lead. Whats the best money can buy?

Edited by phsycoandy

Make your own :)

Why pay someone else to make a simple thing like a cable??

I've made over 200 cables for my pa, bass guitars.

Made 2 24 channel multicores! now thats a boring job! lol

But ye, buy a roll of van damme cable, get some neutrik jack ends and make them yourself :huh:

Edited by jake_tenfloors

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='211373' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:08 PM']Make your own :)

Why pay someone else to make a simple thing like a cable??

I've made over 200 cables for my pa, bass guitars.

Made 2 24 channel multicores! now thats a boring job! lol

But ye, buy a roll of SOMMER TRICONE INSTRUMENT CABLE, get some neutrik jack ends and make them yourself :huh:[/quote]
Jake you aint seen me with a soldering iron! Im talking A&E

I've got one of the £40 Fender Platinum ones. Seems pretty indestructable so far! It's meant to suffer almost no signal degridation at all. Have a read of the review... [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/fender-platinum-gold/aug-07/30546"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/fender-p...ld/aug-07/30546[/url]

[quote name='ahpook' post='211390' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:34 PM']plus the one...neutrik jacks and van damme cable...i've got two that have lasted me about 10 years.[/quote]

Neutrik plugs (silent switched at bass end) Van Damme, or Klotz cable.

You do not need a £40 Whirlwind lead (My guitarist and I have tried his Whirlwind and my Neutrik/Klotz/Neutrik lead B2B and there is NO difference).

FWIW I have just bought some components to make up some leads from Dave (OBBM). TBH his cost passed on for making them is minimal and the components DO actually make up the cost of the leads.

(I know I tried getting them all from elsewhere!)

I'm not blowing sunshine out of Daves backside, but the products he produces for the cost he's making them available at, are unbeatable!!!

Dont bother looking elsewhere if you cant make them yourself. :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='211409' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:53 PM']Neutrik plugs (silent switched at bass end) Van Damme, or Klotz cable.

You do not need a £40 Whirlwind lead (My guitarist and I have tried his Whirlwind and my Neutrik/Klotz/Neutrik lead B2B and there is NO difference).

FWIW I have just bought some components to make up some leads from Dave (OBBM). TBH his cost passed on for making them is minimal and the components DO actually make up the cost of the leads.

(I know I tried getting them all from elsewhere!)

I'm not blowing sunshine out of Daves backside, but the products he produces for the cost he's making them available at, are unbeatable!!!

Dont bother looking elsewhere if you cant make them yourself. :)[/quote]
silent switched? tell me more

I have a cable i've had for about 8 years and its still going strong, the brands called "STRAIGHT A" and it been spot on,no crackles or anything, i think i paid about 7 quid for it, probably be a bit more now but im a tightwad and would rather spend my money on strings than cables.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='211365' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:59 PM']I was practicing away tonight at neighbour friendly volume and happened to be tapping my foot on my bass lead and it was giving this definite crunching sound in my amp, its a planet waves lead. Whats the best money can buy?[/quote]

I use a cable made up by Laurence at Overwater in Carlisle - Neutrik plugs and Van Damme cable - excellent.

Try Pete Cornish - his cables are good, both guitar and amp to cab.

I also have an MIT Bass Ripcord Cable - expensive but worth it

Rhino.

I've been using one the 'posh' (expensive) dedicated bass cables from fender...the type with woven flex.
Nice solid chrome conectors.
Had it approx 12 months, no probs.
I compared it against a generic guitar lead with my fender bassamn 100 practice amp and it does definately alter the tone - more bass.
The local rock radio station has been advertising the new elixir cables...has anybody tried these?

I buy most of my cables from lava (http://www.lavacable.com/) - excellent service - fast, friendly and a very broad choice of cable and connectors (good information on the site too). I have a few Evidence Audio cables (not from lava) - the quality is excellent but the cable is very stiff. Maybe good for studio but a bit more of a challenge for gigs.

Holy smokes, it's a minefield isn't it! Does the cable really make that much difference? I'm new to guitars in general and have just switched to the bass. I'm using a cable that I used on my strat and it sounds ok to my untutored ear, but would it make that much difference if I used a cable dedicated to bass (OBBM)?

Do a search. Cables have been discussed here before.
For quality and price you can't beat OBBM. Check him out here before you buy anything else.

[b]Basschat.co.uk > Basschat Affiliates > Bassic-Bits [/b]

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='aceuggy' post='211609' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:17 AM']Does the cable really make that much difference?[/quote]

It does when it breaks in the middle of a gig or recording take!

Otherwise, not a huge amount - you just lose treble due to the cable capacitance acting as a low pass filter if your bass has a high output impedance (i.e. passive, not active). Any changes other that variations in treble are more than likely your brain thinking it's hearing a difference due to expecting a difference after spending a load of money.

Any good guitar lead will be an equally good bass lead. In fact I would expect guitar's to be more demanding of leads due to the greater importance of the treble content and the lower output pickups they often have.

Alex