Why become a member? ×

Import Duty on Effects Pedals?

thisnameistaken

[quote name='gafbass02' post='211392' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:36 PM']Im also curious to know wether FX imported from the US will work ok on UK power supplies such as EHX, Boss etc?[/quote]

i'd imagine you'd need a new adaptor, but as all the pedal sees is 9V dc i can't see how it would make a difference what the ac input to the wall wart is.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='211406' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:50 PM']so a standard uk boss wallwart or poedal power supply should work ok, thats what i figured, cheers[/quote]
Yup. It is wildly rumoured that pedals might sometimes avoid import duty too. So a bloke I met in the pub but I can't remember which one your honour, told me :)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='211406' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:50 PM']so a standard uk boss wallwart or poedal power supply should work ok, thats what i figured, cheers[/quote]

Assuming the pedal requires a 9v supply, sure. You might want to find out what voltage the pedal wants first though, to make sure you can get a power supply to match it.

[quote name='Finbar' post='211425' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:12 PM']You shouldn't get charged duty if you're buying from inside the EU though, IIRC.[/quote]

You do still have to pay import duty within the EU, but usually not VAT. I'm buying from the USA so I'm paying both. :)

Just wondered if anyone knew what the import duty rate was. I think I can call them and find out if I remember to call when their helpline office thing is open, which I won't, because I'm rubbish at remembering to do things.

There's actually a thread with this in somewhere I think.

I think in general it is...

Cost of item + Shipping + 3.9% import duty

Then the VAT is calculated on all of that. Then there is a clearance fee, depending on who picks up the package. Parcel Force (£12.50) is cheaper than DHL (£20) from memory. Someone will probably tell me I'm talking out of my bum, but I tried :huh: I'm not sure if this applies to everything or just specific items, or if items like pedals are exempt, I'm sorry :)

[quote name='ChocolateTelevision' post='211482' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:08 PM']You have to pay VAT (17.5%) plus there's a handling charge on top - 8 quid from memory. And if its a pedal with its own power supply you've got to add the cost of replacing that too. Plus where do you go if you have problems with the pedal?[/quote]
As above though if the value of the item (including postage) is less than £18 there is no charge.

Allow for VAT plus a handling charge on top of the cost including postage and see how that compares to the UK or a supplier in the EU like Thomann. If there is still a major saving then your last consideration is problems arising should the pedal be DOA or become subject to a warranty claim.

If you are still happy then go for it and if, as may sometimes happen, no VAT is charged when it arrives in the UK then look on that as bunce, but do not just expect it. Also do not try to get clever and get a low value declared on the customs slip. HMRC are not fools and if the package is checked and found to be for greater value than stated it could be confiscated. That and if the package goes missing in the post your insurance value is the declared value.

Good for things like strings with the dollar as it is at the mo, but requires more thought for higher value/non consumable items like pedals & basses

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='211435' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:21 PM']You do still have to pay import duty within the EU, but usually not VAT. I'm buying from the USA so I'm paying both. :)[/quote]

You don't. You have to pay VAT at the rate of the originating country within the EU.

Import duty is 3.7% on FX. I figure add 22% and then £12 to the marked value and you'll always have a little bit of change.

I've bought a couple of pedals from the US and have so far escaped any import duty. I have an Earthbound Supercollider coming this week, hopefully that will escape it too.

Or maybe it's cos I'm getting them sent to my work address and my company is getting hammered for all the charges! :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='211569' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:10 AM']You don't. You have to pay VAT at the rate of the originating country within the EU.

Import duty is 3.7% on FX. I figure add 22% and then £12 to the marked value and you'll always have a little bit of change.[/quote]

Ah, brilliant, thanks.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='211625' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:42 AM']I've bought a couple of pedals from the US and have so far escaped any import duty. I have an Earthbound Supercollider coming this week, hopefully that will escape it too.

Or maybe it's cos I'm getting them sent to my work address and my company is getting hammered for all the charges! :huh:[/quote]

:)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='211625' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:42 AM']I've bought a couple of pedals from the US and have so far escaped any import duty.[/quote]

That's been my experience too. From the States I've bought a pedal, an expensive-ish body blank for a project I'm (supposedly!) working on and a scratchplate. All were easily high enough to attract duty etc. but I only had to pay it on the scratchplate, but it was cut wrong and its replacement arrived without any further duty being requested. Result!

i somehow managed to get a deep impact and a zvex fuzz probe from US, and got charged no customs on either of them, but yet when i bought a boss pedal from over there, i did get charged...

all a game of luck

In my experience whether or not you pay VAT etc on imported pedals depends on who the UK delivery agent is.

These days if it's delivered by Parcel Force you will definitely have to pay VAT if the declared value is over £36.
However if it comes by normal Royal Mail delivery as a small packet there's a good chance that you won't have to pay anything.

Import duty (as distinct from VAT) is only applied if it comes to £7 or over, which I believe means that the item plus shipping has to be over £200. I doubt most pedals are that expensive...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='213198' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:40 PM']Import duty (as distinct from VAT) is only applied if it comes to £7 or over, which I believe means that the item plus shipping has to be over £200. I doubt most pedals are that expensive...[/quote]

Sadly it'll be a parcel of two pedals, which will total over £200. :)

Still it's the VAT that gets you, I'm not too worried about the duty I was just trying to get an idea of what it would cost.

• 1 month later...

Having worked for ParcelForce I can confirm it's a real lottery which of their non-EU imports will attract customs charges. In my own experience the best solution is to either make sure the sender sends it as a 'gift' (with no value declared), or have it labelled as a 'commercial sample'.

If you do get stung by customs for any duty/charges, I'd strongly recommend challenging the charge (plus the courier fee on top) with C&E - they make so many mistakes due to the high volume of incoming intl postal traffic, customers very often get the charges waived. Obviously just make sure the item hasn't been shipped by some fool who puts the correct value on a proper commercial invoice, though even if it has I'd recommend claiming this was an error on the part of the sender when challenging the customs charges. If you want a proper receipt, invoice or any other paperwork - ask for that to be sent separately by letter instead, so nothing indicating value appears in the package.

[quote name='mojo filters' post='237841' date='Jul 12 2008, 10:48 AM']Obviously just make sure the item hasn't been shipped by some fool who puts the correct value on a proper commercial invoice, though even if it has I'd recommend claiming this was an error on the part of the sender when challenging the customs charges.[/quote]

the worst part is, when you buy something in the US and get it sent to your house in the US, and then get your parents to ship it to you. seems simple, right?

well, not when your bloody parents don't listen to you, declare the full value of the pedal officially and everything, AND then ship via fedex practially-overnight ($141) versus USPS ($29). by the time it got to me, and after having all the ridiculous fees to fedex, which i tried to challege but they employed some outside debt agency who were getting really nasty with me, it cost me more than if i'd just bought it here. it was only a PBDDI, and it should have only cost me 116 pounds with shipping.

i should have known fedex would be trouble anyways when they gave me NO indication of any payment upon delivery. then called me two days later, demanding payment, and seemed positively surprised i would do something as absurd as wait for an invoice before paying them for something i shouldn't have to pay in the first place...as if i'm just going to blindly give them more money!

FRUSTRATION!....yea, i'm still not over that.