Why become a member? ×

Daft Punk's Random Access Memories now streaming on iTunes!

So it was apparently leaked earlier today, so iTunes have started streaming the album in full similar to what they did with Bowie's latest effort. I'm about halfway through and it's easily the best new album I've heard in a good long while. Some fantastic bass playing throughout including some lovely slap work on 'Lose Yourself To Dance' by Nathan East... look forward to getting it on vinyl on the 20th!

I like it, I definitely don't love it.

The reason Daft Punk are one of my favourite acts of all time was because they were my gateway into House music, Homework introduced the younger band guys not so keen on House to the genre, Discovery cemented the fact they could write excellent electronic music that was distinctly pop and will remain one of my favourite albums of all time, every track was brilliant and had single release potential.

RAM is going to alienate a lot of people because they seem to just uprooted their whole ideal. I understand that bands have to evolve their sound and go with the times, I don't blame them for writing an album like this and wanting names like Nile Rogers on it to add weight to their disco backbone but it falls a bit flat of what I'd hope it was going to sound like, I miss the old Daft Punk sound. I'm not getting the whole live band thing because that's never what they've been about, they were more about fusing the 'idea' of live music into their distinct French House sound. It's cool, but it's nothing groundbreaking and I think they've evolved their music in the wrong way.

I'm with risingson. As much as I think Get Lucky has a cool vibe IMO I would have liked the signature Daft Punk-ness, which happens towards the end, a little sooner say after the first chorus. As it is it's nice and cool but could just as likely be a Jamiroquai track with Pharell on vocals (edit- and Nile Rodgers on guitar)

Edited by chardbass

I've had a few listens now, while I still think it's the best new album I've heard in a while and look forward to purchasing it on release, I also reckon it had potential to be so much more... there are a few too many slow songs, and even-dare I say it- also a few too many vocoders, even for my taste... :ph34r:

I'm really enjoying it and will be buying the vinyl. Some killer bass playing. Gotta say it sounds great to hear such a 'fun' album from a huge name and I'm all for radical changes in direction and sound from artists. Wish they'd tour (I'm still kicking myself from missing them at Wireless 2007 as I thought Muse at Wembley would be ample entertainment for a weekend.).

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1368748800' post='2081166']

Discovery. I mean, what an album that was.
[/quote]

So good. It's the only other album I have of theirs but this will be remedied- Homework and Human After All for £3.99 on iTunes? It'd be rude not too.
Gonna be a Daft Summer :-)

I'm still loving Giorgio off RAM.

Loving the new album! :gas: That said I still think it's a [i]wee[/i] bit over-hyped... there's a danger of it getting hammered too hard... but for the time being I'm really enjoying it.

Off topic: I'm also enjoying the track below as my current 'guilty pleasure' ;) I'm quite a fan of dancehall and thought I'd hate this when I heard about it, but it's growing on me. Only mentioning it 'cos it seems set to crash the charts, if it hasn't done so already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lANLyt24c4

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1368835218' post='2082226']
Loving the new album! :gas: That said I still think it's a [i]wee[/i] bit over-hyped... there's a danger of it getting hammered too hard... but for the time being I'm really enjoying it.

Off topic: I'm also enjoying the track below as my current 'guilty pleasure' ;) I'm quite a fan of dancehall and thought I'd hate this when I heard about it, but it's growing on me. Only mentioning it 'cos it seems set to crash the charts, if it hasn't done so already.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lANLyt24c4[/media]
[/quote]

Tune that, great bass sound!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1368744120' post='2081133']
I was really looking forward to this, but after a listen, I'm quite disappointed with it. "Get Lucky" I absolutely adore and I really like "Giorgio" but that's it.
[/quote]
Booooooohhhhh..... It's great, best album of 2013 for me.

biggest disappointment of the year for me... i had really fallen for the hype on this and was genuinely excited rushing out to get it.
Get Lucky is a really good song, but where are all the rest? this album is literally a one hit wonder.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1372809201' post='2130341']
Get Lucky is a really good song, but where are all the rest? [/quote]

Awwww, c'mon! ... Lose yourself to dance!!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_164216&feature=iv&src_vid=h5EofwRzit0&v=Z_Sf0gi-mGI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_164216&feature=iv&src_vid=h5EofwRzit0&v=Z_Sf0gi-mGI[/url]

It's sooooooo good!

Edited by Fionn

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1372810262' post='2130346']
Awwww, c'mon! ... Lose yourself to dance!!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_164216&feature=iv&src_vid=h5EofwRzit0&v=Z_Sf0gi-mGI"]http://www.youtube.c...0&v=Z_Sf0gi-mGI[/url]

It's sooooooo good!
[/quote]

its definitely the second best track and is a lot better than anything else on it (apart from get lucky). i quite like the one where they repeat something in a robot voice that i've now forgotten, something about the dance floor?

the thing is daft punk have suggested that this album cost well over a million dollars to make... a million dollars!!
the head honcho at columbia must have had head in hands when he realised the highly anticipated 'gorgio moroder' track was basically an interview over a dull 'heard it all before' synth riff. aarrgh!

Edited by tedmanzie