Why become a member? ×

Value for money or what? Steve Hackett at Apollo. Whoop!

Clarky

Met up with BCers Molan (Barrie) and Garythebass and saw Steve Hackett at the Apollo. Not only did it bring a huge lump to my throat as he played songs from my first ever gig (Genesis at Earls Court 1977, 13 year-old Clarky) but he played for 2 and three-quarter hours. Bloody hell. What a star. Some nice guests too, best being John Wetton who sang on one track and sounds fantastic still

That was a great gig! One happy Clarky

Yep, he did stuff from every album from Trespass through to Wind and Wuthering. From memory, Watcher of the Skies, Moonlit Knight, Dance on a volcano, Musical Box, I know what I like, Broadway Melody, Lamia, Chamber of 32 Doors, Eleventh Earl of Mar, Unquiet slumbers, Blood on Rooftops, Emtangled (my favourite), Suppers Ready, Firth of Fifth, Los Endos. He also did solo track Shadow of Hierophant. BAZZING IT WAS

Just got back to the wilds of Essex.

Everything Clarky said!

Songs like that are just not crafted any more, and it's a real shame.

John Wetton's rendition of Afterglow brought tears to my eyes.

Thirty quid for the best part of three hours great entertainment? Best bargain I've had in a long while!

(And that included the time machine back to 1976:) )

Also add parts of Myopia and Please Don't Touch! Don't think there was anything from Trespass though.

Great to see Lee Pomeroy on bass, guitar, bass pedals, and a Shergold double-neck bass/12-string. And backing vocals! I used to do his job in Genesis tribs so know what a faff it all is. (The Shergold looked a bit modded though). Also he plays lefty but strung righty so it's impossible to tell what he's really up to.

Other special guests: Nik Kershaw (!) singing and Steve Rothery guitaring on The Lamia, Jakko Jakszyk singing on Entangled. I think Ray Wilson (also ex-Genesis) is lined up for the Royal Albert Hall show later this year.

In the audience were Genesis/Gabriel photographer/biographer Armando Gallo and everyone's favourite Absolute Radio 70s DJ Richard Skinner.

Favourites from last night were Moonlit Knight, Heirophant, and the proper ending of Dance On A Volcano (as it happen on A Trick Of The Tail)

Edited by toneknob

Absolutely adore Steve Hackett and his music - a hugely underrated guitarist. That is a monster set list. Sounds like a totally incredible show.

For me early Genesis is the ultimate prog rock band - after Hackett left they were totally finished for me and I hated the direction they took.

Excellent gig :)

Amazing audience, virtually all male, all over 40 and all knowing every word to every song :lol:

No pressure there then for the band to hit every single thing absolutely note perfect!

The band were really hot and sounded bang on to me. The only slight issue was that the drums were mixed right down and sounded a bit muffled, on some of the 'newer' numbers where Collins was really going for it on the originals you couldn't really feel the dynamics properly.

On the plus side this really allowed the other instruments to shine through the mix. So often these days you find sound men looking for the perfect vocal & drums mix and things like the bass can often get lost.

Pomeroy's playing was uniformly excellent and that Shergold double neck (actually it's a custom build by Chris Richards - great article here [url="http://www.3rguitars.co.uk/twin%20neck.htm"]http://www.3rguitars...twin%20neck.htm[/url] ) sounded really nice. Had more depth than the clanky Ricky.

All round a really good night!

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368266141' post='2075035']
Pomeroy's playing was uniformly excellent and that Shergold double neck (actually it's a custom build by Chris Richards - great article here [url="http://www.3rguitars.co.uk/twin%20neck.htm"]http://www.3rguitars...twin%20neck.htm[/url] ) sounded really nice.
[/quote]

Cool. Thanks for the link! So it's a custom body with original Shergold necks? And I thought *something* was up when I clocked the obviously non-Shergold pickups on the bass side.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1368402013' post='2076744']
Just got home from Liverpool. Great gig, Two and a half hours of magic :D .
[/quote]

What he said.

Absolutely loved it and a great choice of songs too.

The Liverpool Philharmonic doesn't lend itsef to amplified music especially where I was seated in the second block of the circle. The kick drum often didn't sound miced up (it was there but not really hitting you in the chest as it should). Similalry I would normally expect bass pedals to be making my innards rumble and it just didn't happen.

Hackett has a second night at Liverpool in October and if I can get a stalls ticket then I'll probably go - I imagine the set list will be varied a little.

I was down in the stalls and I got all the internal organ vibrations etc. so maybe it's like most venues in that where you are in the auditorium is quite important. Where I was I thought the sound was excellent.

I was at the Transatlantic gig a couple of years ago at the Academy 1 (Manchester) and when Pete Trewavas hit the bass pedals I thought my spleen was going to explode. Amusing for a minute or two but it completely compromised the rest of the sound from the band.

• 5 months later...

Just got back from the Newcastle show... awesome. Great set list, and Lee Pomeroy is an absolute monster. He was [i]channelling[/i] Rutherford on bass and rhythm guitar. Faultless.

Having said that... that curly-haired singer is awful beyond belief. How he got the gig is a mystery to me. Absolutely embarrassing...