Why become a member? ×

Compression pedal to even up string output

franzbassist

So, sometimes playing live I have noticed that my Veillette's D and G strings get lost. Would I be right in thinking that compression is a good way to even up the string output? If so, can anyone recommend a decent pedal to get? I have been very impressed by the Empress pedals I have, and their Compressor looks the biz, but they are i) hard to find in the UK ii) expensive. Would a Markbass COmpressore be a good shout, EBS Multicomp, Aguilar TLC?

Oh yes, and meant to say it may well be a case of reducing the "energy" of the B, E and A strings a touch, rather than boosting the D and G per se.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Yes, a compressor would certainly even up your string output and I use one for exactly this purpose.
The Markbass Compressore is right up there with the very best bass compressor pedals. IMHO.

You might also consider the Diamond Bass Comp which is another gem.

Edited by discreet

Hi Gareth,
I've had just about every compressor on the market and finally settled on an Origin Cali 76...

http://www.origineffects.com/Cali76.php

Others that I would have from your list are the MXR for transparency and LED metering and the EBS for price and the tube like setting.
Also both are battery powered.

Checkout these reviews ... http://www.ovnilab.com/

Hope this helps.

Marc

Edited by voxpop

I`ve found that compression is good for this, especially as I`m a bit heavy handed.

I currently use the compressor on my Zoom B3, but previously used the MXR Dynacomp, and the EBS Multicomp. Both very good pedals.

Hhowever I also used a Behringer DC9 which worked surprisingly well. It did remove some lows, but if using it as an "on all the time" compressor that doesn`t matter, once it`s on just add some more lows on the amp. At about £20 it`s a good pedal to start off with, to see if compression is for you or not.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1368134477' post='2073783']
I also used a Behringer DC9 which worked surprisingly well.
[/quote]

Can't be beat if you're skint! :)

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/behrDC9.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/behrDC9.shtml[/url]

Double check your pickup heght before going for a compressor (did 51m0n really say that, must be the mushrooms!).

Too high and the magnetic field will choke the string vibration, too low and it will not be hot enough. Typically the thinner strings have the pickups a smidge closer on a lot of basses, but not so close as to cause the choking effect (if the string doesnt sustain as long the pickup is too close)

I think a compressor can really help but you may find it feels weird on the lower strings (ie its clamping down on them quite hard) if its working hard to bring the higher strings upto match gain. Make super sure the pickup height is as good as you can get it before going down the compressor route.

The Cali76 is a truly awesome piece of kit (esp the tranny version) - mega bucks though. Search on here for mention of that pedal will take you to a thread with a huge collection of very very good compressors mentioned.

As always ovnilabs is an invaluable source for all things compressor pedal...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1368139467' post='2073827']
I think a compressor can really help but you may find it feels weird on the lower strings (ie its clamping down on them quite hard) if its working hard to bring the higher strings up to match gain.
[/quote]

So very true, and you may find you're missing your big low-end heft as a result. But IME it's possible to usefully bring up your higher strings without losing your bottom (fnarr) if you use a low compression ratio coupled with just a [i]little [/i]technique... the Diamond Bass Comp (for example) doesn't do a lot of squash but just makes your bass sound... better. It's ever a compromise. Trial and error! :)

I also find a decent setup which includes pickup hieght helpe a long with balanced tension strings.

Other wise, if you feel its a case of those strings being quiet then a multiband comp should work for you, one where you can set different level of comp for high and low bands. A decent full range comp still brings up the level of other frequencies though, but some will get stuck heavily compressing the low stuff causing the high stuff to get lost under it all.

I really do recommend either the trex squeezer or MB compressore, same stuff in different boxes, the mxr m87 or tc nova dynamics.

What I've started doing though now is parallel compression, I get to keep the airy-ness and dynamics of not having.a comp with the overall fatness and upwards compression of having one.

Compression is a mine field and can be very much more of a personal choice rather than a technical one

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments. I am familiar with the pickup height as a possible solution, but know it won't work on this bass, as it has both mag and piezo pickups and the D and G strings are weak whichever pickup I use.

The Origin looks huge! I am liking the MXR as a smaller option and it seems to have a pretty comprehensive feature set.

Cheers

Gareth

I'd also consider heavier strings for the D and G as a first option..if you are noticing this playing at moderate levels, then its going to be more pronounced the louder you play. I haven't used compressors much, and only really as limiters for really loud gigs....but its got to be better to even up the response from the output of the bass. Worth asking Joe V if he has any thoughts...or could help source some custom string gauges?

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1368177285' post='2074036']
Hi guys

Thanks for the comments. I am familiar with the pickup height as a possible solution, but know it won't work on this bass, as it has both mag and piezo pickups and the D and G strings are weak whichever pickup I use.

The Origin looks huge! I am liking the MXR as a smaller option and it seems to have a pretty comprehensive feature set.

Cheers

Gareth
[/quote]

I have the same thing with my G and C strings on the Artist as it also has a piezo pickup.
A little LIGHT compression helps to "lower" the volume of the other strings to balance out the sound. This will also add punch and clarity to the overall sound.

The MXR would be my choice over the Origin.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1368178210' post='2074055']
I'd also consider heavier strings for the D and G as a first option... Worth asking Joe V if he has any thoughts...or could help source some custom string gauges?
[/quote]

Not really an option sadly, as the strings are La Bella black nylon, so already a heavy gauge, and they are a custom length because of the bridge/tailpiece arrangement.

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1368178470' post='2074061']
I have the same thing with my G and C strings on the Artist as it also has a piezo pickup.
A little LIGHT compression helps to "lower" the volume of the other strings to balance out the sound. This will also add punch and clarity to the overall sound. The MXR would be my choice over the Origin.
[/quote]

Yep, I think it's more about reducing the energy of the lower strings rather than beefing up the higher ones. The MXR looks like a good shout.

I really like the Diamond Bass Comp. sounds a bit more 'musical' than some others to me.

Phil is out of stock but has more on order. He also has the Aggie TLC and the Compressore so you could demo those three against each other soon :)

So, the MXR M87 arrived this morning (thanks Alex_1_2_3 for lightning fast delivery!) and I have spent some time playing with it..... :)

As I was setting the unit up, I realised that I could use the input gain LEDs to provide a visual indication of the pickup's relative outputs. A quick pan between piezo and mag revealed that it is definitely the mag pickup that causes the output imbalance, the B, E and A strings generated far more energy, so I have spent some time adjusting the angle of the pickup to balance the strings more evenly. It isn't perfect, but it's a lot better, and it means I can use the compressor to clean up the output in a subtle way. Job done I think.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1368281777' post='2075266']
So, the MXR M87 arrived this morning (thanks Alex_1_2_3 for lightning fast delivery!) and I have spent some time playing with it..... :)

As I was setting the unit up, I realised that I could use the input gain LEDs to provide a visual indication of the pickup's relative outputs. A quick pan between piezo and mag revealed that it is definitely the mag pickup that causes the output imbalance, the B, E and A strings generated far more energy, so I have spent some time adjusting the angle of the pickup to balance the strings more evenly. It isn't perfect, but it's a lot better, and it means I can use the compressor to clean up the output in a subtle way. Job done I think.
[/quote]

Great news Gareth, that's the best way to use a compressor. Check the gain reduction meter, adjust pickups to balance output and use a subtle compression setting... Perfect fat punchy sound.