Why become a member? ×

Train crash in an hour

Mr Fretbuzz

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368175848' post='2074006']

Aren't you part of the band? Shouldn't you be asked?
It does not sound like much of a band to me, what with the guitarist and 2 practices in 8 months...
Grab the keyboard player and the drummer if is good and run for your lives into a new band! ;)

Yeah, time to move on
[/quote]

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1368176510' post='2074017']
I would as I like the drummer but the trouble is he is best mates with the guitard and although they say the rest of us have a say, we haven't at the moment. They've picked the set list and band name without any input from me. Maybe I'll shoot off with the keyboards and singer and form a blues band :-)
[/quote]

The other option is still an option ;)

Good reliable singers and KB players are usually in demand, guitarists are ten a penny especially if you want to do some blues stuff. Finding another good drummer might be an issue but you already have the basis of a decent band with what you have.

Guitarists eh? sheesh Hiow familiar does the following sound to you guys?

I was in a band....well the beginnings of one years back where the guitarist had written a tune. Fairly simple but nice in its own right.

"Can you put some bass to it?"

So I write a line that fits behind the guitar line nicely IMHO and has a few little incidentals to sauce up his melody line.

"Ooh that sounds good" and he starts playing my line. Grrr.

"Ok" thinks I and writes another line to go behind what was my bassline but is now his guitar line. And feck me with a shovel, he does it again.

Im no longer in that band

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1368176510' post='2074017']
I would as I like the drummer but the trouble is he is best mates with the guitard and although they say the rest of us have a say, we haven't at the moment. They've picked the set list and band name without any input from me. Maybe I'll shoot off with the keyboards and singer and form a blues band :-)
[/quote]

from what you said so far, it looks like an excellent option! ;)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1368166495' post='2073913']
My experience so far is that there's 3 types of band members.
There's musicians, singers & guitarists. The latter 2 can sometimes be musicians, but it seems to be very rare....
[/quote]

I don't know mate,my last attempt at an originals band, after having a nightmare trying to find a guitarist who fitted in and grasped the music, I flipped over to guitar myself and tried to find a bassist. Just as bloody difficult, just as frustrating, just as many chancers and disappointments. It's not limited to 'guitards' and singers.

Thankfully, the function band that pays most of my bills has an excellent bassist and a singer who more than has his act together. The only let down is the guitarist, because its me!

You could be right, maybe I've been fortunate that most of the players I've met have been good with the few chancers being twangers & chanters.
The one musician I'm having trouble finding is a keys player. Any skill level would do, even just to hold pads!
I've been tempted to go back to keys a few times.

• 3 weeks later...

TRAIN CRASH :-D. I learned a few more songs off the new set list and after I posted this thread, the next rehearsal was supposed to be last night. I told them at the beginning of the week I couldn't go as I've got a nasty virus. Just got an email from the drummer that the rehearsal didn't go ahead .... The keyboards didn't turn up and the singer was late so they say that they've knocked the project of the head. Looking for a proper project now but I'll be contacting the singer and keyboards :-)

It certainly was an experience and my first experience of a Band. Can't imagine it could get any worse but I guess it probably could :-D

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1370591649' post='2103051']
TRAIN CRASH :-D. I learned a few more songs off the new set list and after I posted this thread, the next rehearsal was supposed to be last night. I told them at the beginning of the week I couldn't go as I've got a nasty virus. Just got an email from the drummer that the rehearsal didn't go ahead .... The keyboards didn't turn up and the singer was late so they say that they've knocked the project of the head. Looking for a proper project now but I'll be contacting the singer and keyboards :-)

It certainly was an experience and my first experience of a Band. Can't imagine it could get any worse but I guess it probably could :-D
[/quote]

im guessing that the kybds and singist will be possibly thinking along similar lines :)

It can take a little time to get a decent bunch of players together. I went through a few to get the guys I've got together now (though I'm thinking we need a better singer to join us).
It can also be a challenge getting musicians who will play the same stuff as you want to. Though mixing styles can work too. :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1368177332' post='2074040']
snot baffling at all :D

we'll put our own flavour to this one usually means[b] [i]i/we havent got skill/patience to learn/play/rehearse it faithful to original [/i][/b]

:ph34r: :P
[/quote]
Not always the case, I have the skills and patience (and so do the musicians I've been in bands with) to lean/play/rehearse/reproduce plenty of songs, but it's the last thing I'd want to do. I'm sure this is the case with a lot of people on here. . .

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1370708604' post='2104726']
Not always the case, I have the skills and patience (and so do the musicians I've been in bands with) to lean/play/rehearse/reproduce plenty of songs, but it's the last thing I'd want to do. I'm sure this is the case with a lot of people on here. . .
[/quote]

thats why i said 'usually' instead of 'always' ;) :)

....... The keyboards I met is interested in a Blues and Rock Band...... Almost there now with a full Band...... We are going to jam 6 songs in a week or so..... Gary Moore, SRV, ... And a couple of mine Hey Joe by Hendrix I started on Saturday and Soul Man by Sam and Dave I learned for the Mods. It's a big step up and a challenge already but it looks like its going in the right direction..... Singer next and all set. Got a studio to practice in and this time guys who know what they are doing :-). Best thing I ever did was getting off the last train.

• 3 weeks later...

Blues Train crashed last night. Guitar didn't want to give lifts to the drums so drums couldn't make this thursday's second rehearsal with a singer this time; guitar couldn't practice next week. Next minute I get a notification that keyboards has deleted his Dropbox folder ... text saying its not going to work out and he's joining another Band. I'm still with the guitarist and we are looking for drums and vocal for fun rather than serious gigging. He is in a busy gigging Band as it is.

So thats 2 Bands, 3 practices in almost a year and no gigs. <_< :P