Why become a member? ×

Epic Dance Tunes!!

D.I. Joe

A question for all you ravers and clubbers!

Sometimes with Fragile Sanity (mostly at one or two particular venues) we finish the night with a few dance tunes which often tend to go down well. We've been thinking about expanding on this for a while, as we are currently only playing three:

I'm Not Alone - Calvin Harris
Children - Robert Miles
Insomnia - Faithless

Children and Insomnia are both epic and classic tunes which everyone knows/remembers and always get the best reactions, but I'm Not Alone doesn't seem as popular as it did. We've decided that we'll replace that one this year, but none of us listen to much dance music, despite having fun playing it, so we are unsure what to play instead. Whatever we do replace it with needs ideally to be a timeless epic like the other two and not a 'fad' song, but Calvin did go down better when it was newer...

Any ideas Basschat?

Edited by D.I. Joe

Huge French House fan so it's anything Thomas Bangalter related for me... Daft Punk (the new avatar :D), Stardust (as mentioned above), anything from Roule and his stuff with DJ Falcon ('Together' is one of my favourite house tunes ever). Just hunt down what the samples were and utilise them. Example, 'The Music Sounds Better With You' is the snippet of Hiram Bullock's rhythm guitar part at the start of 'Fate' by Chaka Khan.

Edited by risingson

From whats been mentioned thus far newish classics seem thin on the ground....unless its the age group here?!?

.....if ya wanna go old skool....i often have a noodle on trip to trumpton urban hype....simple enough but great fun....hand out a few whistles etc

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, I'll check them out! I'm all for a good bassline, but unfortunately we've got to think more about the popularity of the song than anything. Something that's as instantly recognisable as Insomnia (if there is another one out there!). Keep 'en coming! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1367241899' post='2063002']
Or there's Daft Punk's latest offering - Get Lucky...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OOlM5CDSoi8"]https://www.youtube....d&v=OOlM5CDSoi8[/url]
[/quote]

I had actually suggested this but the band decided maybe it's a little "too new" and that we could do it later in the year if it remains popular. I think it could be a good chance wasted though - imagine if Hendrix never played Sgt Pepper's because he thought it was "too new"... :P

I get met with the same in my band & I'm the oldest.
As we've just formed, we're starting with a couple of covers & then we'll do some writing. Everything the band has suggested has been from the 90s.
So the 3 tracks we're playing with are Come Together (The Beatles), Crazy (Gnarles Barklay) & Too Close (Alex Clare). Oddly enough, all those was suggested by me.